AMC - Friday - August 19, 2011

• Members

Well can I also use this same excuse for Sonny Corinthos or Todd Manning then who are older than JR but their childhoods were rolled out as a reason for their continued dynfunctional behaviors. I happen to agree with you but I also again don't see anyone on canvas exusing his behavior like those 2 characters get time and time again. If JR needs to grown up and quit using the excuses, can I please stop listening to Sonny's 100th monologue on his abusive childhood also that tends to get rolled out whenever they need to elicit sympathy for him

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh heck I blame JR 100 percent for his behavior but I think the point someone was making was he had no basis for it yet those 2 characters did because of their upbringing and I think the point being made was that JR had a tumultuous upbringing also. Just because he was not sexually or physically abused doesn't mean there were not things in his upbringing contributing to his damaged behavior. And I have never ever seen anyone on canvas exusing his bad behavior ever. As for viewers what viewers are excusing his behavior. I just have more sympathy for his behavior than I do for the over propped and excused Sonny and Todd thats all. Its much easier to have the show forcefeed and tell me how I am supposed to feel like they do with Todd and Sonny than what JY has done with JR's character. Any ounce of sympathy I may have for JR at times is all JY.

• Members

WHo said Broderick was the savior? Onliners? Thats like the overwhelming idea that Pratt was the one who decimated AMC forgetting the damage McTavish also did to the show before him.Its the same idea that Broderick was somehow going to be AMC's savior. And I will be fair to Broderick though in that she's had limited time to wrap up story, bring back characters in cluding back from the dead, and now have to deal with PP's interference.

No comment (*rolls eyes). Was he off his meds when he shot a cop in the chest? Forget it thats a discussion for another thread. Poor Poor Sonny.

• Members

What 'tumultuous' upbringing? I can't. I'm sorry Dixie leaving for a couple months because her health was in jeopardy and Tad and Dixie having a few domestic issues where they separated momentarily from each other is not a trauma that would result in JR acting the way he has the past seven years, and in general acting like a schizo homicidal sociopath who bribes judges, insults everyone he comes in contact with and is filled with hatred for general mankind. I've literally heard it all if that is JR's 'excuse' for him acting the way he does.

• Members

Again how you see it. I don't see Sonny Corinthos having a tumultuous upbringing you did. We are all allowed to see things differently People have pulled out numerous examples you just don;t like. We get it you hate JR so then you do agree no reason for Babe to be alive for him right? Because he is so so evil he doesn't deserve it.

• Members

It doesn't matter if I like the reason or not. It matters if the reason is a creditable one, that can be used to understand his situation and actions. His reactions, choices and general ideology should make sense to the viewer and mesh with what we know the character and his upbringing to be. As it stands there is no reason for JR to not be a character who is more or less like Dixie with a dash of salient Tad characteristics sprinkled in for good measure. As of what we know of JR's upbringing and the characters which he was surrounded with from a very early age there is nothing within that said upbringing to reconcile this version of JR today. He looks nothing like the character he was when Jesse McCartney and Andrew Riddings were in the roles. And there was no reason given as to why JR became this hostile, semi-murderous, angry antagonist who wants to spread hurt to everyone he can get his hands on. Dixie, Tad, Brooke and Jaime the four closest relationships he had as a child resemble nothing close to the person JR is today. Jaime is nothing like him. Dixie is nothing like him. Tad is nothing like him. There is nothing in JR's history that would lead him down the paths he has taken. JR has virtually none of Dixie and Tad's better qualities and that just makes no sense considering how both of these characters were written during the 90's and for the most part of their runs on AMC.

You can dislike Sonny a lot but one should be able to understand why he is the way he is at least in theory, and why he reacts to things the way he does. The man has a lot of anger and power issues because he watched his mother get beaten within an inch of her life on a daily basis by her boyfriend/husband. That is something that can scar a child for life and have a profound effect on someone and change their entire outlook on life. Sonny could do nothing about having to watch his mother be brutally beaten and often at times was beaten himself. It makes sense that he has done everything he can to never be that helpless or powerless again, and why the man is so controlling in the lives of 'his' women. That is a motivation for his character that we, the audience can understand but not condone. Even if I absolutely hate the character and all he represents to GH I can get why he is the way he is. Not so with JR Chandler.

• Members

Oy, not sure I should get into this, but I actually think a lot about JR does make sense. Sure he had a relatively loving upbringing, but he has dealt with a ton of loss, and has been under Adam's constantly disapproving shadow for ages now. And now Adam has essentially abandoned him for over a year as well--and nothing he's done has worked out, I think it is in keeping with his personality that he'd act out and blame others. Add tot hat that he's had an addiction problem since 2000 or so (that terrible exctasy story).

Archived