OLTL: Discussion for the week of August 8

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think if Destiny were really sure about her decision to have an abortion, nothing would have changed her mind. I give Mrs. Evans a pass on the slap though. So many soap characters go around slapping people for a lot less.

I kind of feel the soap slap is one of the conventions that date soaps. We aren't living in a world where slapping people because you don't like something they say is acceptable. Kind of like we aren't living in a world where getting pregnant means having to get married, but soaps keep trying to pretend otherwise.

• Members

KDP pimps T&B every chance she gets lol. And FL just had an interview in SID, and I can't really remember what she said, but there was something about her not just being able to turn off her feelings for TSJ Todd, and she doesn't want to lose what she has right now, or something.

• Members

RH and TSJ work very well together, and David is at his most bearable. Seeing TW with RH again brings back some great memories of their original s/l. ME and TK also work very well together, and I could easily see TK having been a John recast. (I hope all of those abbreviations weren't too annoying.)

• Members

Seriously having ME and TK in a scene together alone is just the worst thing in the world...Low energy faux gravel voices x 2= finger itching to change the channel. Thank god they brought Mark Lawson's Brody in for the break in.

• Members

Clearly, those scenes were written by writers who don't watch either actor's performance. Unless the scene(s) are action-heavy, or there's a third character to undercut everything with comedy, you never, under any circumstances, put two equally low-key performers together in scenes like that.

• Members

I did too! It was very "artsy" and really showed the audience instead of telling us the way they so often do what Nora's frame of mind was. Nora basically had no dialogue through that entire episode. But she was still a presence. It reminded me of how they had Destiny admit to Vivian she was pregnant, but all we saw was Destiny having a conversation with Vivian through the window of the diner. The audience didn't necessarily have to hear Destiny tell Vivian. We just knew. It was creative and the camera angle made it more interesting and somehow poignant.

I think RC wrote his most interesting and creative stuff up through the rapemance. I know a lot of people hated it (rapemance), based on the concept alone. But I really liked it but then I like psychological thrillers and thought it was clever/intelligent writing. I understand the visceral response people had to the story, but I think it's good that people responded so strongly. After that story was met with such opposition, I think RC really changed how he wrote stories because he just decided we weren't smart enough to "get it" and that's when he resorted to having characters on the show be the "voice" of the writers. I never noticed characters before "telling" us what we were supposed to think before that. The stories became less complex and intricate and it seemed like there was always some character who was explaining everything, all the motivations and consequences, all the time.

I totally agree. I kind of half watch and half just listen a lot of the time and when John and Tomas share scenes if I'm not watching I sometimes can't tell who says what because they're both whispering so much. Most boring combo ever.

Archived