OLTL: Discussion for the week of July 4

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a little known secret that Lenny Platt actually created OLTL, and let Agnes Nixon submit the idea, since she was more of an established soap name. He asked to appear on the show when he heard they were probably going to cancel, and, out of respect for Agnes, ABC agreed.

• Members

The problem is there are only about four ways RC knows how to write a character out (sometimes the writers will use more than one on a character):

1. Have them go crazy (kill someone, blow something up, take some hostages, etc...)

2. Ruin their character (e.g., Charlie, Marty)

3. Kill them off (even if they are an old character like Lee Halpern or Pamela Stuart)

4. Relate them to veteran characters/families just before they leave the show so it is nothing more than a (very) stupid plot point.

• Members

How many times have they rewritten this sex anyway?

I still remember the scene where Ford talked to Cris about Jessica's mental problems, and Ford was very turned on by the thought of being with her when she thought she was 15.

• Members

I just don't get why they ever thought this was a good idea. They could have just NOT entered a dialogue about the rape ever, that would be less offensive than what we got today.

I'm all for forgiving people and I do think Ford has changed to a degree but to pair him romantically with a woman he constantly took advantage of? That's about the LAST route they should have taken for his redemption.

• Members

What I don't understand is why you would even want to have sex with a woman if you have to ask her 20 times (!!) if she is mentally strong enough to have sex with you. Is this his idea of foreplay? If this is OLTL's vision of an ideal man, then what does it say about them?

• Members

I dare anyone to challenge the notion that this show isn't bending over backwards to cast Ford in the purest light. Never in my life have I witnessed such a concerted effort to retcon a character into heroism. Even GH had the good sense to revise their earlier whitewashing of the rape. Weeks ago, they were saying Tess took over while they bumped uglies. So now we are to believe that Jessica looked on admiringly from a porch swing :wub: ?

Archived