"SuperCouples" You found Boring

• Members

Mark Collier's Mike should have turned out gay. We could have had Henry pine for him as Mike turned his eyes towards Luke. Considering they were going to kill of Reid. I would have taken a Mike and Luke pairing over anything Luke and Noah.

Jon Lindstrom is just icky

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess that's true of DAYS lately but it wasn't always that way. Bo has had successful pairings outside of Hope- Carly and Billie. John- Diana, Izzy-B (blech!), and Kristen. Marlena- Don, Roman, and John. Tony- Renee and Anna. Kate- Victor, Stefano, and Nicholas.

You're right though- now, it's all pre-destined couples.

Disagree on Collier- I think he was actually pretty hot with Maura, though they never truly went there with them. As for Lindstrom, I'm not convinced that the show ever intended for JL's Craig to have chemistry with her, unlike Hunt Block's version.

I think I'd probably add Paul Leyden to the short list of actors who didn't have chemistry with Maura as well.

But you're right about Lindstrom- as much as I ended up enjoying his version of Craig in the last year and a half, he had chemistry with NONE of his leading ladies, save maybe Elizabeth Hubbard. Though again, the show never really went there.

And while I'm not a huge McCouch fan, I always thought Grayson's Dusty and Carly would've been hot. The show should have put her in Dusty's orbit rather than Craig's- would have driven Jack NUTS!

Surprising as this may be coming from me, I don't think I would have bought Mike Kasnoff as gay, especially after seeing Shawn Christian's version. I could see him getting drunk one night, sleeping with Henry, and the show playing it for laughs, but that's about it.

• Members

A few others:

AMC-Leo/Greenlee. All that shrew did was squawk about Paris and bellyache about his family. Awful. This pairing was just one long indulgent belch for oh so noble Greenlee.

AMC - Edmund/Maria - I missed most of the happy times in this relationship, so all I ever saw was weeping Maria and cold fish Maria and glowering Edmund. I thought they were a huge buzzkill and energy drain.

• Members

They spent MONTHS pushing the "this is supportive Craig with alcoholic Carly" story. TIIC practically rewrote the character to try and create chemistry with Maura, and it failed miserably. I know Lindstrom's GH days were supposed to be stellar, but IMO whatever he had left.

*snort* Twice I wrote "Leyden sucks" responses, only to back off.

Oddly, even though I didn't think these guys had chemistry with Maura---I do think they accomplished some of their best work opposite her. Whether it was just getting a better story or just shaking off the rust in some way, she brought out the best in people.

In a world without Jack---I think even I might have been intrigued by a hookup with McCouch's Dusty. When Dusty wasn't annoyingly "saving" all those "wounded doves", he was a pretty straight shooter.

• Members

I disagree with this. I don't feel that Greenlee was "oh so noble" until the last bit of their relationship. Part of the fun of the pairing was that they were both schemers and could be themeselves with one another. And Greenlee was a TOTAL BITCH during the Leo/Laura stuff, ESPECIALLY to both Laura and Bianca.

I guess if you missed their early years, I could see it. But, when they were first paired, they were SMOKIN hot, though I felt sorry for Brooke as she ended up the odd man out due to the surprising success of Edmund/Maria. Originally, Maria was just supposed to be a dallinace until Brooke was finally finished with Tad, but the chemistry and fan response was so great, the show decided to stick with it.

My poor Brooke always got the shaft.

Yes, but I still don't think the writing ever supported Craig/Carly as an actual couple. I ALWAYS felt the plan was still going to be Carly/Jack and JL's Craig was merely an insignificant road block. That's why I never bought Carly being so pissed at Rosanna for sleeping with Craig while she was in rehab.

• Members

I go back and forth on this one. I really do think they tried their damnedest and really hoped Carly and Craig, part deux would work. I believe the minute they cast Lindstrom (after unceremoniously getting rid of Scott Bryce) they KNEW they'd pair him with Maura and that her talent would help him make the seemless transition. That lead to the awful 2009 where his Craig was SHOVED DOWN OUR THROATS. I just never believed Carly would let him back in her bed after what he did to Rosanna (though I'd argue that this 'relationship' does in some way support her downward spiral to alcoholism...) Sorry to digress. I could dissect ATWT and CarJack for HOURS.

Anyway, I do honestly believe that it was always going to end up Carly and Jack. I too never 'bought' that she was upset with Rosanna and Craig and further that she emerged from rehab still having feelings for that clod. BUT - had Maura not gotten pregnant...Carly WOULD have become Mrs. Craig Montgomery. I'm certain of it. Sure, like Jack she would have eventually divorced her 'roadblock'. Just as Jack did his................

• Members

In the longterm, I see your point. Craig was a classic enabler. But on soaps, that doesn't prohibit a "great" love story either. It was one of those lines (like the entire Holden story) that never should have been crossed. Not after Carly spent years accusing him of trying to kill Ro.

Y'know...I've been watching OLTL. I don't get Natalie and John.

• Members

At the time I felt like we were supposed to root for her nasty behavior. When she spewed homophobic slurs or attacked people it was supposed to be fun, and then we would be treated to yet another monologue about how she was the real victim because she grew up without a loving father and in a home rich in everything but love. Blech.

I will have to look for the early Edmund/Maria stuff. By the time I started they were in the interminable MYSAMMYSAMMYSAMMYSAM storyline.

• Members

I certainly don't consider that snoozefest a supercouple but I don't get it either. They are horrible together and the actors have no chemistry. I always say watching Jolie is like watching two dead fish floating around in an icy river. Never understood why they have fans. They suck ass.

• Members

That's me. SuperCouples are one of those soap staples I've never cared about, I'm not really a romance story person, which I guess is odd to say as a soap viewer, but... I'm more into SuperChemists like any combination of Susan Lucci, David Canary and Julia Barr, Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser, Michael Zaslow and Beverlee McKinsey, any combination of Beverlee McKinsey, Douglass Watson and Victoria Wyndham...

Archived