"SuperCouples" You found Boring

• Members

The Jill/Frank propping was truly bizarro. I was never a Delia fan but it was just so absurd that these staunch Irish Catholic parents find out their son had a mistress and it was a girl they knew since childhood and they continually put her feelings and their affection for her above consideration for their daughter-in-law/mother to their grandson, and this was before they knew of Delia's machinations, when she was still basically, in their eyes, just the childish, cheated-upon wife. I mean, for all Pat's raging hormones making him defend Delia while she was playing him, he did get on his parents about their double standards and how their affection for Jill was in Delia's face. I thought Seneca and Jill had more chemistry but they had about 5 minutes to have an equal relationship before it was over and she was back to being all about Frank while Seneca morphed further into control freakdom.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In fear of derailing this thread, I will quickly say that the writers recognized and used dramatically how Val and Gary needed each other and used each other as crutches. It was part of their very interesting dynamic. And I feel I would like to point out that all that Jill/Danny Woleska stuff you mentioned was written by the Lechowicks/Latham, whose hatred and disdain for Valene was barely hidden. It's like saying Nikki is a horrible character because all you've ever seen of her is what LML wrote; definitely, not the same thing/character.

But we can discuss this further in the KL thread if you want :lol:

• Members

ATWT

Lily/Holden (from late 90s on)

Luke/Noah- The very definition of boring. I never saw chemistry between them and felt Luke deserved better

Dusty/Lucy- only after Peyton list left. The couple was never the same after she left

Tom/Margo

Guiding Light

Reva/Josh

Gus/Harley- Never saw the appeal in this couple. I preferred her with Phillip

Bold & The Beautiful

Ridge/Brooke- Never saw chemistry anyway but they've grown stale in the last 6 years

Taylor/Ridge- Loved them in the 90s. But after Taylor's return from the dead they've grown beyond stale.

--Frankly the Brooke/Ridge/Taylor tri is played out. Both pairings suck and both women should move on

Young & The Restless

Sharon/Nick- I can admit at one point they had spark but it's been gone for a long while

Lily/Cane- Words can't describe how much this pairing sucks.

One Life To Live

John/Natalie

TSJTodd/Tea

• Members

I feel Nick and Sharon were great--the repetitive cheatathons could be a bit tiring but I don't think they were broken until that insipid Phyllis affair and the subsequent character destructions that those 3 headwriters brought on.

• Members

Passions:

I don't think they were a supercouple in general but they were one of the shows main couples Charity/Miguel.

Y&R:

Cane/Lily: I'm convinced that Lily is Y&R's Bella Swan. Both don't have any distinguished personality traits so it's easier for her fans to put themselves in her shoes and Cane is just the accessory that goes with her.

• Members

Ok here goes with the explanation:

Ryan/Nina were TOTALLY BORING! I liked him better with both Victoria and Tricia. Nina and her insecurities always dragged him down.

Similar reasoning for Brad/Traci- I MUCH preferred him with Ashley (BE), Sharon, and Lauren. Again, Traci's insecurities dragged down a cad like Brad. Really, Brad's money pairing was Sharon and the show foolishly never truly explored it.

Danny/Cricket- I admit I didn't watch during their heydey in the 80s but it always seemed to me in flashbacks and youtube clips that he always had more chemistry with Lauren and she with Philip. In the 90s, I ALWAYS rooted for Phyllis, as I thought Phyllis/Danny were RED HOT!

Paul/Cricket- I can't believe I need to explain this at all- the most boring couple in the history of soaps. The show clearly took the most boring, wonder bread male character and the most boring, milquetoast female character and put them together. What did they get? A total dud of a couple!

• Members

Considering that Passions has a reputation of having the worst actors ever, that is really saying something. My main issue with the Charity/Miguel relationship was Charity herself. She always came across as weak to me.

Here's some more:

Luke/Noah (ATWT)- Luke had more chemistry with Kevin and Reid.

Billy/Victoria (Y&R)- The only potentially interesting part of this relationship was the Newman/Abbott feud. Other than that the relationship, especially the first half was practically a retread of her relationship with JT.

True. Younger fans tend to be the worst at this it seems. They throw hissy fits if their couple isn't together. It's the reason Rebecca Herbst and Daniel Goddard still have jobs.

• Members

I know this may sound completely irrational but, save for the utterly hideous writing for them, they idea of them being together just freaks me out because there is only one Victoria in my mind (Heather Tom) and only one Billy in my mind (David Tom), even after all these years. And you could see why that would be problematic :lol:

Archived