"SuperCouples" You found Boring

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I actually lurk in the SB thread. :) (And the GL thread, and even the ATWT and AW threads out of nostalgia for the P&G soaps.) But my memory of the Dobsons era is rather hazy (was young, soap viewing was frowned upon at home, wasn't taping, etc.), and I didn't become an active viewer until after Mary's death and Mason and Julia were falling for each other. By the time Lane Davies left, I was also exhausted and burnt out with the show, so my 'contributions' re: SB would be limited to ca. 1987-89 anyway. (Kept an eye on SB--I did/do love Nancy Grahn--but my heart wasn't really in it, and GL was so d@mn good at the time.)

It was a very novel experience not needing to love couples (or just a handful of characters) to enjoy a show. I just loved the way the characters interacted and related with each other, not caring whether there was an endgame in any of the relationships. Everyone was a valuable, integral part of the show, and I think that was the one and last time I felt like I was watching a genuine community. Actors who left me lukewarm before, like Vincent Irizzary (whom I first saw on SB), looked like they belonged in Springfield, and that too was an eye-opener.

• Members

I love hearing about SB from 87-89 - there are some great discussions in the thread on that era. I'm just too lazy to watch more of that timeframe on Youtube.

I have liked some soap couples but I think what I hate the most is how they stifle each other and other characters, and the awful propping, and lazy writing. The best "supercouples" are couples like Bob and Kim, who never trashed any other characters or had crazy stories like Kim's first husband returns from the dead and Bob goes on trial for his murder.

• Members

I don't recall many whole eps. of SB on YT though, not like fans have done with GL, ATWT, etc. Couple edits, surely but whole eps, not so much, which skews one's perspective. Either way, I'll be happy to drop by the SB thread one of these days and share my feelings and limited recollection.

I think the tendency has grown worse in the last 10-15 years or so. I accept that love and romance is part of daytime and have enjoyed it on occasion, but I don't know... for all the couples that have come and gone in the last decade, I can't recall many whose stories felt like love and romance, felt compelling and genuine.

• Members

I have some SB articles in there too if you ever want to see any.

It does seem to have gotten worse, and sometimes I wonder if that has jaded my viewing even of some old soap stuff. For instance, I find a lot of what Ryan's Hope did with Delia and Seneca, in order to promote Jill/Frank and Pat/Faith, to be annoying propping, yet I wonder if I would feel that way if I was watching those without ever seeing any other soaps.

• Members

I don't know how anyone could call Katie/Simon boring. That was the one match Katie was in that sizzled!

Lily/Holden were great in their early years, but with Doug Marland making them the centerpiece of ATWT, how could they go wrong? Later, there were just too many separations/reunions, but Martha and Jon always seemed to have a rapport. There was ZERO chemistry between Jon and Noelle, though.

• Members

That's actually one of the reasons I lurk on SON. All those articles you unearth, the old clips and recollections from everyone... Remind me of when I used to lurk/hang out in the rec.arts.tv.soaps newsgroups and soaked up the soap history discussions and debates. I can't remember if it was you or someone else who did it, but I loved the huge spread on Constance Ford that was posted recently and I never even saw her on AW outside of a few clips here and there. So even though I don't get to thank you every time, please know they're appreciated very, very much.

Propping is propping, that is, I think we're intelligent enough to read or feel the intent behind certain storylines, scenes or actions w/o having seen similar examples elsewhere. But if you mean it annoys you more b/c you feel like you've seen it a thousand times 'before' even though the old soap is the one that did it before, then yeah, that makes sense.

• Members

I hated Katie/Simon. But "boring is a subjective term. In a lot of ways, Skatie were exactly like Nuke...they got villain of the month stories, and you never really felt any jeopardy to the relationship. Their story was basically the same thing for three years---Simon lies, Katie forgives him, he gets a chance for derring-do, tells her to stay home, and she follows and saves the day.

But like Ron, I hated her with anyone. She completely emasculated the men. I never cheered so hard as the day Jack cheated on her with Carly.

• Members

I remember RATS...RATSC and RATSA you're right, lots of great commentary. They were very passionate and sometimes fun (who can forget the "slapping societies").

Thanks so much - I'm always glad to hear someone is reading them. I loved Constance Ford's work as Ada, so reading about her is an experience.

Archived