The Secret Circle: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

“THE SECRET CIRCLE”

Cassie Blake was a happy, normal teenage girl – until her mother Amelia dies in what appears to be a tragic accidental fire. Orphaned and deeply saddened, Cassie moves in with her warm and loving grandmother Jane in the beautiful small town of Chance Harbor, Washington – the town her mother left so many years before – where the residents seem to know more about Cassie than she does about herself. As Cassie gets to know her high school classmates, including sweet-natured Diana and her handsome boyfriend Adam, brooding loner Nick, mean-girl Faye and her sidekick Melissa, strange and frightening things begin to happen. When her new friends explain that they are all descended from powerful witches, and they’ve been waiting for Cassie to join them and complete a new generation of the Secret Circle, Cassie refuses to believe them – until Adam shows her how to unlock her incredible magical powers. But it’s not until Cassie discovers a message from her mother in an old leather-bound book of spells hidden in her mother’s childhood bedroom, that she understands her true and dangerous destiny. What Cassie and the others don’t yet know is that darker powers are at play, powers that might be linked to the adults in the town, including Diana’s father and Faye’s mother – and that Cassie’s mother’s death might not have been an accident. The series stars Britt Robertson as Cassie Blake, Thomas Dekker as Adam Conant, Gale Harold as Charles Meade, Phoebe Tonkin as Fay Chamberlain, Jessica Parker Kennedy as Melissa, Shelley Hennig as Diana Meade, Louis Hunter as Nick, Ashley Crow as Jane Blake and Natasha Henstridge as Dawn Chamberlain. Based upon the book series by L.J. Smith (author of “The Vampire Diaries” book series), THE SECRET CIRCLE is from Outerbanks Entertainment and Alloy Entertainment in association with Warner Bros. Television and CBS Television Studios with executive producers Kevin Williamson (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Scream,” “Dawson’s Creek”), Andrew Miller (“Imaginary Bitches”), Leslie Morgenstein (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Gossip Girl”) and Gina Girolamo. Elizabeth Craft (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie to Me”) & Sarah Fain (“The Vampire Diaries,” “Lie to Me”) were executive producers on the pilot which was directed by Liz Friedlander (“The Vampire Diaries,” “90210”).

• Members

This is the show Shelley Henning is in, too, right? I guess I have two reasons to watch now. Julia, you should watch Cinema Verite, Dekker is absolutely great in it. He plays a flmaboyant gay man, but still makes sure to keep him grounded and not a caricature.

• Members

I saw Cinema Verite! I thought TD did a good job in it. I really felt for him. I thought he was good in My Sister's Keeper and (of course) The Sarah Connor Chronicles as well. I'll probably follow his career from now on because of that show. I'm such a syi-fi nerd.

As far as I'm concerned the CW has the best line up for next year, as far as the Networks go. Too bad the network itself seems to be in trouble. I really hope they can turn things around. It would be a real shame if it sinks and we lose all of these good shows. :ph34r:

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I admit, early press and the fact that Kevin Williamson is again adapting a lacklustre series of novels by the author of Vampire Diaries--in which, after a slow start, he (and Julie Plec) managed to make a fun, addictive series out of truly crap novels, makes me happy to give this a chance. It seems an obvious but smart move to put them on together.

• Members

The actress playing Faye is really green. Hopefully she gets stronger as it goes on.

I loved Diana, and Shelley did great. brit Robinson was also amazing and is perfect as cassie. I love all the dynamics this show has, the relationships between the teens, the adults, etc. You know it is just going to get more and more complicated and deepen as it goes on.

Down the line, i can totally see Faye dying and Diana going darker. That would be interesting.

• Members

The actress playing Faye was my one major acting issue with the pilot as well--she unfortunately made the storm scene slightly silly to me. Oddly she came off like someone trying to do a parody fo the mean girl (God I'm bad at names) on Awkward it seemed LOL, but on Awkward it's meant to be funny. I dunno why I saw the similarity--the actress was a regular for a while on Aussie soap Home and Away. Melissa didn't get much to do either--in fact when Cassie stormed out from the club house, she completely disappeared after her line lol.

Really enjoyed the show--and I think it makes a great complement to Vamp Diaries, not just cuz of the similar elements (from source novels to Producer to teen horror/drama/romance), but I also like how the settings contrast--Vamp Diaries is all dark and Southern, and this is all light and Northwest coastal--which looks so familiar cuz it's largely where I live, filmed in Canada. I'd love to know if it deviates so strongly from the L J Smith series of books the way Vampire Diaries does from those L J Smith novels (all for the best--I tried reading the books and they're pretty awful...)

And congrats to Mr Eden Reigel (aka Andrew Miller)--I know KEvin Williamson is getting all the press attention, but Miller did a lot of the development from the books and wrote the pilot--and I don't think he's written much in the past except for Imaginary Bitches.

Archived