Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Members

I thought Bitsy and Connor were a veiled shot at the Regan's personally, who are often seen as the pillars of the Republican party for their stances on family values. I thought it was kind of funny how they deconstructed that by having Bitsy hate him, and have him portrayed as a dog who slept with anything that moved, rather than her. I thought the storyline was weak, but it was all done just so Mellie could turn on Fitz, because he was caring more about Olivia than her (as per usual). It was pathetic but in character, a pretty anemic storyline all around for Mellie.

As I thought would happen the love triangle is where this season is going to find it's momentum. Jake/Olivia/Fitz is gearing up as we go forward.

I'm pretty sure there was a parallel somewhere with the assassin storyline relating to Olivia needing to find the truth about Jake's situation, but it kind of turned its head when the guy just wanted to be famous.

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mel wasn't mad at Fitz on Thursday's episode. I'm sure she has a distaste for him in general, but she did nothing to strike out at him. Nothing she did last night was really about Fitz, it was about her trying to get her groove back in her career.

I'm sure her trying to get her groove back will cause some trouble, initially, because they're likely going to umbrella out the Portia story and damage (Cyrus being Step 1) and make the recovery the big deal for the second half of the season. I don't have hope they'll do a good job with this Portia thing because so far they haven't been doing one.

Moments that I did like from last night were the Huck and Huck Jr discovery; what's his face gloating to Olivia after she got duped; Jake and Olivia's scene where he gives her the numbers; Abby outsmarting Cyrus; M/F Switcharoo on the balcony; Bitsy reintroducing herself and Mellie and Bitsy's final scene.

• Members

Disagree, the show made some serious parallels between Mellie and Bitsy, last night and was the decisive reason why Mellie sold out Fitz to the press. She saw how Bitsy was relegated to being a shadow who supported a man she hated, and didn't want that same fate so she tied Fitz's hands behind his back and cornered him into making a decision he originally wasn't going to make. Forcing him to change his initial strategy, and acknowledge her position of power rather than be the good First Lady. This was established by her conversation with Portia, "I will be a good first Lady and support my husband, go somewhere else."

In the end she undermined him to spite him, because she didn't want to be Bitsy and be known as a wife of a man who "did something with his life" while she was shown as nothing. She wanted to know she could have power and be more than just what Bitsy was during Coop's presidency, while she had thoughts on policy and made suggestions and consulted ultimately she was and is seen as purely decorative. I think this was well portrayed from the first Portia/Mellie scene to the final scene Mellie had with the press at Cooper's funeral. She shifts from originally declining to help Portia, but after her conversations with Bitsy who had a lot in common with Mellie's own predicament, she chose to go directly against what Fitz and Cyrus were planning and sabotage their plans to force Fitz to go a separate way. If that's not resentment and bitterness at being a trophy wife, I don't know what is.

• Members

Cyrus' butt-hole sold Fitz out.

Mellie's decision had little to do with Fitz and most everything to do with Mellie. She was paying ZERO attention to Fitz acting like a teenage girl obsessed with her favorite boy band re:Olivia. She didn't seem at all mad at Fitz during this episode even when Bitsy was giving excellent bait (which was strange - not drunk, not all f--k it and smelly, not snarking the chit out of Fitz to his face and behind his back, not being disrespectful about Olivia). She was resigned to being a good first lady doing ornamental duties. Bitsy's conversations were more about doing something with the power you have as an intelligent and capable woman and not just sitting back and being ornamental - the play into cheating men was not the core of these conversations. Getting revenge on cheating men wasn't even close to a topic. It wasn't only Bitsy/Mellie's narrative making Fitz out to be a man who is not the most capable leader and decision maker. Heck, it was probably the storyline with the least direct Fitz dissing: Olivia knows Fitz is a p---y whipped dud and is managing him with it, Rowan discussing Fitz like he's a total puppet.

More or less preventing Fitz from closing a few military bases IMO was not a bad move for Mellie, Fitz or the REPUBLICAN party. Fitz is acting like a bigger Democrat than Obama.

Mellie managing and running things, or/and wanting to, is not at all new for the character. It's not something that we've only seen done out of revenge and there's no blurry lines when she's making "search and destroy" moves out of jealousy and revenge. Even in the early flashbacks we see her ready to get the ball rolling on the Grants political future and she wasn't doing that because she wanted the title FLOTUS. She did it because she wanted the power to make changes she felt were due.

ETA:

"shondarhimes: I'm Mellie for Halloween. Wanted to go as Olivia. But that would have required combing my hair. So..."

sondramellie_zps4317949e.jpg

Scandal's props department:

The Mellie's

B1UFY8PCMAAbxiq.jpg

The Olivia's sandwiching a Mellie

B1UGSVpCAAInEfU.jpg'

The swimming Olivia's?

B1UHxU_CQAA2e7O.jpg

• Members

Why did Mellie initially agree with Fitz's idea regarding the military bases then? I just don't see it as Mellie "doing the right thing" because she was agreeing with him beforehand and the only thing that really changed her mind was when Bitsy started talking about how much she hated her husband because he cheated on her, which obviously Mellie could sympathize with. Once Bitsty led with that Mellie was literally hanging off her every word. If Shondra was trying to show this as Mellie's moment to shine regarding public policy I think she muddled the waters a bit and she should have cut out that Portia scene. All in all, the situation just looks bad, because Mellie knew and understood exactly what Fitz was trying to accomplish and she sabotaged it by going along with Portia, which is something she intimately understood but did anyway. It was just like when she tried to bring up war during the America's Baby interview and Fitz had to shut her down back in previous seasons.

Regardless, this military base story probably won't even matter in the long run and might have just been a case of the week kind of thing. Fitz, Olivia, Jake and Mr. Pope are where the real story was centered around and that's where most of the focus was put on. I guess we will see where this Portia, Mellie, Cyrus duplicity will turn into as the B or C story and evolve at a later date. .

• Members

I don't think SR muddled the waters at all. Fitz and Mellie didn't have a conversation about this to even discuss her agreeing or disagreeing with him. It was clear why she initially turned down Elizabeth, she was going through the motions as she stepped back into the job. She was talking to Elizabeth like an obedient wife who is satisfied spending her days planting gardens which has never been in her character (unless she's being sarcastic). Her storyline in that episode was about getting some of her spirit back in terms of her role and goals. If this compares to anything, it compares to Mellie and Andrew on the campaign trail and Mellie trying to score Fitz points with the NRA. She, a, believes in the 2nd Amendment, b, was trying to help Fitz with a big part of the Republican party as his campaign for re-election was floundering. I don't personally agree with Mellie's political beliefs but unless she's calling for something unholy, I don't mind a Republican character playing the FLOTUS of a supposedly Republican POTUS having and promoting Republican ideals.

Shondaland podcast. Bellamy this week.

- F--kitMellie? They tell a story about SR calling BY to "warn" her about her first fitting of the season. BY said it was very hard to get her mind wrapped around the shades of that character. She and Shonda exchanged a lot of e-mails and what finally made it resonate for BY was SR explaining that "Mellie's never been more beautiful than she is [as f--kitMellie] because she's never been more free."

- The host reviews the ordeals of Season 3 for M/F and brings up Tony's thoughts about the Grant marriage. Host calls it a strong relationship. Bellamy corrects her, "a strong partnership." Host agrees as a relationship notes relating to one another - and they don't. Too many breaches of trust from both of them for the intimacy of a relationship to still be there.

- Is Andrew the true love of Mellie's life? She does not think so. She thinks it's chemistry and a strong connection. Andrew, despite their opposing sides in most political ideals, has always gotten Mellie in a way that Fitz probably never did.

- Why does Mellie stay with Fitz? She really does love him. She's really committed to their partnership. She doesn't really aspire to have (romantic) love anymore, as opposed to Fitz, so she's abnormally accepting of what she gets and of what they have.

- Work proudest of this season so far? The breakdown after the state of the union. She was worried about doing that all the right way and she was glad it was well received. The scene with Karen. She worried about making it authentic because she has no children.

- Loves them bringing some OPA over to the WH - aka Abby - and having the chance to work with Darby (Abby).

- O/M friends in an another world? Yes. Part of the sting of Olitz for Mellie is that Mellie and Olivia probably would have been good friends. It would have been nice for Mellie to have a friend while she was grieving.

• Members

Good question. I'd love to know whom writes whom.

I think it's clear that Shonda does spread herself around though especially with Scandal. Even if she's the direct one over Mellie, she probably does often write or re-write other characters lines as well (in more important scenes).

• Members

I was bored - and sometimes nauseated - with the episode until the last segment and a half. The show IMO is weakest with anything surrounding the vapid, rather insane obsession around Olivia's vagina, whether it was Tom waxing poetic about it or Tom's golden honey boyfriend Fitz doing the same, or Olivia doing it or Jake doing it. Uhm, ugh. Next week, we'll be right back to that after a good ending this week and that will only serve to diminish stories that would be much more interesting without it.

So, the last segment and a half was made of win:

Papa Pope gave Olivia the "I'm going to beat your a-- if you disrespect me again" speech all kids know all too well. I suffered a little PTSD during that, lol.

Mellie letting Fitz know she's back and he's still a useless a--. The Elizabeth angle will backfire somehow but she'll handle Elizabeth. I got faith.

Huck's son pulled a Huck and found Huck. So adorable.

Olivia pulled a Papa Pope which got Tom to rat out Papa Pope. Boss move. (That said, I'm rooting for Papa Pope due to the vapidness of Olitz).

Abby got some loving.

One of the more exciting endings that they've had this season.

Side note: TG did a great job with the reaction to "tried to kill yourself." But, much like the direction that conversation ended in, I'm sure the backstory surrounding that will go (all about the vagina). Yawn.

• Members

I always knew Olivia was just like dear old daddy and given the right incentive she proved exactly that. I was not surprised she ordered Tom's shanking. She needs to burn that white hat she has tucked away in her closet. Shonda is smoking something fierce if is she thinks Oliva is anything like Helen of Troy who launched a thousands ships. I got a good chuckle out of Tom's monologue. With every character already obsessed with Olivia in some aspect do we really need a new unknown entity completely obsessed with her too? Is Olivia so beautiful that she has all these powerful men willing to do anything for her, contemplating suicide and powerful organizations stalking her? Nope!

Glad to see the "old" Mellie back and kudos to her in telling Fitz he couldn't allow her two months to fall off the job. That scene was too short and I truly felt her disgust with him. I hope she really does stick to her guns and not soon forget how he treated her. Not that he gave two s.hits. He looked at her like she grew two heads since Olivia's cooch is now within reach. I hope she keeps being ambitious and make some political waves.

The FCC is making allowances again so I guess this is the new norm to expect anything related to Olivia's vagina, men will be explicit in their intent.

I wonder if Cyrus will think Mellie is the one who's setting him up and go after her.

I know I should feel for Huck but I just can't. I couldn't help but think of all the online predators luring young kids online in the same manner when he stood there watching his kid from afar.

And now the "unholy" alliance begins next week. Fitz tells Jake no hard feelings and I couldn't help but chuckle once again.

• Members

I'm going to guess they were sent multiple samples of "Scent of Vagina Pope, Olivia: Fragrance that Launched a Thousand Ships"

It would be the logical deduction. I know Cyrus suspected Elizabeth but he wasn't able to get any dirt on her while Mellie, once again, repeated what he let loose around his hooker. Cyrus and Mellie each got a piece of the puzzle the other doesn't have - Cyrus has the hooker taking the info, Mellie has Elizabeth feeding the info. I'm guessing Cyrus might expose himself to Mellie on the hooker front OR/AND Mellie will expose herself to Cyrus on the Elizabeth front and one or both of them will deduce their is a bit of a problem.

tumblr_n4mv1cYMcO1s0qct9o9_250.gif

Their definitely were some creepy elements but I just couldn't help but aww when Huck Jr pulled the Huck Sr. But, yeah, I do totally get how the creep level could outweigh the sentimental level.

• Members

One of the better overall episodes of the season in terms of exciting, surprising and crazy moments.

I'm still not feeling the Cyrus storyline. I feel like I've seen it before with Cyrus. I'm still not sure why I should fear what Liz can do to this regime. She can destroy Cyrus career wise? So? Maybe next week will clear that up.

Jake stayed winning this episode and at this point I like him the most in that whole tired triangle SO good! He was right about the correct way to get rid of Papa Pope. Olivia is flaky as heck in the man-department but I did feel like she prefers Jake over The Ditz this episode.

Fictional first Lady of the United States, Mellie, getting her ex-side piece, the fictional Vice President of the fictional United States, back in the nest? Surprised. Kinda hot how she just went in and got it, lol. Then we found out Mellie's side-piece is philandering too and is in cahoots with Liz ... in every way imaginable? Shocking bbbbuuuutttt O.M.G. why can't Mellie ever be happy? Dang.

Leaving the Cyrus angle behind, this VP twist does make Liz seem a bit more dangerous.

Speaking of characters seriously lacking in the happiness and luck department, Huck. Dude went and murdered a man in front of his son. Dang.

Olivia (and the other two stooges) thinking she was playing and slaying her father with her magical vagina powers and Papa Pope absolutely decimating those fantasies and delusions? Fantastic. The only character(s) I would root for against Papa Pope is honestly Mellie and Mama Pope. Papa Pope is so going to get his second guest-star Emmy.

• Members

With Sally gone, Liz is turning out to be just what is needed in the devious piece of work department.

One can easily feel sorry for Huck if it wasn't for his stubbornness where his son is concerned. Yes he's missed a lot of years with him, yes he has the right to spend some quality time with him to a certain extent, but, my goodness talk about going about it the wrong way. Even he (Huck) should have known that you don't take a child on a stake-out. Javi (sp) will never un-see his father killing someone.

Liv NEEDS Mama Pope, and she needs her NOW because I believe Pops is SCARED of her (Moms).

Agreed the Emmy belongs to Joe Morton again.

Archived