AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I do recall SOD covering it pretty excitingly when it first started but then Carolyn H. soured on it quickly (the name was of course immediately a cause for mockery) and the coverage died down. 
Which, to be fair, is pretty much a logical way for things to go: interest in a groundbreaking and potentially original story and then letdown and moving it back to how you'd treat any other failing story.
As messy as Carolyn H. was I wish there was an archive of her columns online. Some of them were funny and biased as she was, it would be a fun trip to the past.

• Members

The "isn't it obvious? I have a penis" moment the Soup used has stuck with me and my ex for years, including the dramatic and mournful reaction shots of Jacob Young, Alexa Havins, etc. It was just too much and I thought Carlson was often the wrong side of hysterical camp.

I think on paper, the story was ahead of its time. In execution it was a mess on many levels.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I guess the original sin was probably to try this storyline with a *rock star*
Setting aside the dumbness of the name the entire idea of selling this under the guise of a Peter Burns type celebrity was both a mistake because it screamed camp from the get-go (can't blame Carlson for going there: again he was playing a rock star named Zarf. Why wouldn't he think camp?) and it actually undermined the thoughtful human aspect by making it too easy for the part of the audience who wouldn't warm to the story to dismiss as showbiz eccentricity.
The starting point needed to be a relatable human being - a bit like why the Bianca coming out story worked so well - and then take the audience on a journey with them. 

I think Timeout New York did a small article.  McHackish got the idea from watching TransGeneration on Logo. When Logo actually aired  LGBTQIA programing. Zarf and the Satin Slayer airing concurrently. Being the only two stories for months. Was a really lousy idea. A real shame that such a great groundbreaking idea was ruined.

• Members

I got published once in the 2000s. It was something about soaps not being in a place to pat themselves in the back for including more LGBT characters - albeit great progress - until the real-life actors and actresses also started feeling comfortable coming out.
The fact that by then there had STILL been no out LGBT actor in daytime by that time and only a handful of long-gone actors had dared coming out showed that gay characters were not enough to consider the industry inclusive when even obviously gay actors (spoiler alert: I had LeBlanc and Watkins in mind with that line) were still too scared to come out.
I was STUNNED it was published but I was pretty damn proud. Still have the issue somewhere.

Lord knows Carolyn H had her pets and I didn't always agree but it was still my favorite part of SOD to read because bitchiness is my jam and mocking nonsense in soaps while still celebrating the genre is exactly where I am at.

• Members

https://www.soapoperadigest.com/content/all-my-children-kane-women-virtual-interview/?fbclid=IwAR0BR6tJxDzXvZHC2ImbG7PRL25sl6pz4kXXELgHJKMcBuOOBKNml57ltX4

Alan Locher will reunite ALL MY CHILDREN’s Susan Lucci (ex-Erica), Alicia Minshew (ex-Kendall) and Eden Riegel (ex-Bianca) on his YouTube show, The Locher Room. The trio will be live on Wednesday, July 21 at 3 p.m. ET to reminisce about their time in Pine Valley, their friendship and more. The live interview can be viewed herefor the full story.