AMC Tribute Thread

• Members

Where was I when the streak was FINALLY broken?  I was at home, of course, watching it all unfold on TV, and yelling loud enough for everyone in my neighborhood to hear, lol.

All these years later, the moment remains magical for SuLu and all her fans.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've watched it so many times over the years and I still get goosebumps. What a terrific speech: From great opening line, to subtly funny moments, to a grand finale. The love was palpable. One of the greatest daytime moments.

• Members

I was headed home from work, thinking I might catch the last 15 minutes of the ceremony. While waiting at a traffic light, something inside me said, "This is her night. You better get home."

Sure enough.

A very emotional moment; this is what awards shows are supposed to do.

And I agree, Daytime Emmys started racing downhill after that.

• Members

As far as the Daytime Emmys were concerned, Susan Lucci's popularity (and notoriety, as a perennial Emmy loser) was both a blessing and a curse.  The longer The Streak went on, the more eyeballs it attracted to the yearly telecasts, to the point where they could air in primetime and not just win the night, but be the most-watched program of that week.  But, The Streak was bound to end, sooner or later, either with an eventual win (which it did), or her decision not to nominate herself anymore.  It's just unfortunate that daytime soaps in general have fallen by the wayside in terms of popularity, and that the Emmys couldn't come up with any other, compelling reason for people to keep turning in BESIDE The Streak.

• Members

I just found and enjoyed (part of) an ancient AMC episode from 1977, in which a subdued Kitty Shea sings a poignant song for Linc Tyler, and then acknowledges that she knows a secret he has been trying to keep from her: she's dying. Four decades after the fact, it still made me tear up.

Soaps need to get back to telling intelligent, believable storylines about multi-dimensional and complex characters who pull at your heartstrings. 

When a vintage episode from 42 years ago is more riveting than ANYTHING we witness on today's soaps, you know there is a significant problem.

I wish I could personally thank Agnes Nixon and Wisner Washam for all the outstanding drama they gave us.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

I later discovered that as I was playing it, the tape was disintegrating, and I ended up with specs of "tape dust" all over the inside of my machine. When I ejected it, the tape continued to "shed" on my fingers. I'm not sure if it will live to see another playback. It was already really static-y. Unfortunately, back then I recorded some material on cheap and generic "store brand" tapes, when I should have stuck to using ONLY higher-quality, brand-name tapes which were wont to last a lot longer. I still have many TDK, Maxell and Sony tapes which have survived surprisingly well for decades. The el-cheapo ones, not so much. I did not mean to be an insensitive "soap tease," LOL!