AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Members

The industry that she is in is dying, and there are only two others shows that she can go to that aren't controlled by Frons. It's not like she has a lot of options, and I'm sure that she still has bills to pay. Given the reputation of daytime serials, it's probably not easy for writers to find work with primetime shows.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly. I mean, I've lost count of how many people I've seen say, "LB would NEVER take the job without full control." How the hell does everyone know that? What makes her so different? What makes people so sure that the only reason she'd take the job now is because Frons gave her full control (something he's never given to an HW since he took over)?

I'll believe it if/when I see it. Until then, she's no different than anyone else.

• Members

I am sure the contract can be null and void at set intervals just like with actors. Once the show is canceled, the contracts are effectively canceled as well. I am no lawyer, but no television show would sign people to iron clad contracts beyond the length of production.

• Members

Television contracts are generally multi-year deals. Even with primetime shows, if a series gets picked up, the actors are signed to contracts that span 5-7 years -- even though most new series don't make it past 13 weeks (if even that long - i.e. burned off pilots). This LB deal is nothing -- nothing -- new. All a contract does is state an organization has first and/or only rights to the services of an actor/producer/writer for a specified period of time. Unless some of you who know Lorraine personally can clue us in, we have no idea what services (other than this current head writing deal for All My Children) she agreed to provide ABC with for the next five years.

Cheers!

• Members

Thank you! Lorraine never even gave an interview, that I know of, last year. She was teaching at a university (right?) and the rumour was she decided to do AMC as an interim writer but not as HW because of Frons. Maybe her salary demands were too high so they only wanted her to be an associate writer once K&S came in, and now feel that was a mistake? Maybe she did hate seeing the show she loved (I assume she loves anyway) in such dire straights? Who knows. As AMS has said repeatedly in this thread, I'll take what I can get. But I honestly, sadly, don't expect Frons to back down much--unless the show truly is going to be canceled within a few months and then maybe he would stop focusing on it.

Right. I know K/S's contracts were only for a year but that was a diff situation, and obviously not a contract they'd do up for Broderick, or one she'd sign for. But it doesn't (and this is too bad IMHO) mean *anything* about the show's safety, or even her position. I do think though, from what I've read, a larger contract does mean that if she's terminated she stands to get more money than she would otherwise. But it's not significant.

I do believe she does get some money for a contract being canceled, whereas K/S won't after theirs not being renewed. But that's basically it--it's certainly not 4 years, or whatever is left when/if she leaves or the show goes. But it does benefit her slightly more than a year contract would, and I'm thinking maybe she wouldn't sign one...

• Members

Please, keep Swajeski far far away. I kinda get Kreizman, and I've viewed enough of their work separately to say that she is the weaker link. I guess she stablized AW a bit when she was there, but that doesn't mean that the show wasn't pure crap during her tenure there.

• Members

Actually, I think Donna Swajeski might be the stronger of the two. As you've said, Loyal, ANOTHER WORLD wasn't necessarily golden when she was HW, but I think her AW was much more tolerable than David Kreizman's GUIDING LIGHT.

Archived