AMC: Lorraine Broderick named Headwriter

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We guessed McTavish on those two AMC stories, but I have a hard time believing that a) she'd turn the job down or B) they'd use her ideas while hiring Broderick.

BTW, I am really [!@#$%^&*] tired of having to have to go into the full edit to tell this system that I want to turn off the [!@#$%^&*] emoticons every motherfucking time.

• Members

LB has some brilliance in her, but don't forget she also wrote Dr. Lazarre-Silver and Erica kidnaps Maria's baby, two of the show's most infamous duds. Actually a lot of her best stuff was co-written with Wisner Washam, who never gets the credit he deserves. I've seen some articles today describe LB as AMC's second-best HW of all time behind Agnes. I really think that honor belongs to Washam. Although Agnes guided the show for his approx 10-year tenure, most of which comprised the show's golden age, he was always listed as sole HW. In general, though, LB writes with intelligence, heart, and depth, which are what the show desperately needs right now, so I'm glad to have her back for however long the show lasts.

• Members

ABC owns their soaps so they don't make or extend contracts with the soaps. There are no contracts with the soaps. They can pull the soaps at any time. That is not true with DAYS. SONY and I suppose Ken Corday have interest in the soap. NBC signed them to a 3 year contract to remain on the network when their ratings were better last year. If NBC tries to break that contract they'll run into legal hurdles.

• Members

I think the idea that McTavish is consulting is beyond ridiculous--she's known to be expensive, they wouldn't hire her to do uncredited behind the scenes stuff...

Anyway I completely agree. The prob with Wisner is so much of his work, even when he was credited solo, was done with Agnes Nixon close by--then again so was a lot of Broderick's work (and Agnes was solo HW for the brief Summer '95 period between McT and Broderick where she sety up a lot of the Broderick stuff like Erica's accident, and Janet and Pierce). And yes, Broderick has her share of duds (was the Dr Lazarre stuff partly during the strike though?)--of course *even*, shock horror, has Nixon. But I agree with all of your sentiments, and with no real way Washam or Nixon coming back, I'm more than happy to accept Broderick for as long as we can (at this stage I have no faith in the show finding a new untapped HW who could make the show something special--they'd prob just hire Higley or something...)

(I was in the stark minority in that I didn't mind the Erica kidnaps Maria's baby story lol, but I HATED the Tanner Jordan/Hayley story).

• Members

These stories don't even seem that much like her style. She hasn't done any doppleganger stories since somewhere around 1995, and she only did one baby switch, which had little in common with the Jesse/Angie story.

If people were being raped then I would wonder more about whether she's involved.

Archived