GIF. Video. YouTube

Sylph

• Members

Given a large number of knowledgeable people here, who manipulate video and image files, I was wondering: what software do you use for editing videos? If you upload to YouTube, or other video sharing websites, which format do you choose to export to? Is it WMV, MOV, MP4? What audio track format do you pick when doing so?

How do you make animated GIFs? Do you make them from images in PhotoShop or convert video to GIFs? Which software do you use?

Cheap, AllmyDaysatGH and reallyhateskateonlost seem like the biggest video/image manipulating people. :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you wanna do one from a specific scene or opening. You just look it up the video on YT and use the URL (Don't use the embed link, it won't work) It'll ask you to cut the clip to 15 seconds once it's uploaded to the site. You scroll through the video and find the part you wanna use. You put the start time as the time in the vid that the clip begins. And, the end time when you want it to end.

For example, say you're clipping a part of GH when Carly smacks someone. It starts in the youtube video at 0:12 seconds. You put that as the start time. It ends at 0:16. That's the end time.

Hit 'create gif' on the site after that and then it makes the gif. That's the best I can explain it. :(

If you cannot find the specific thing you're looking for on youtube. You would need to upload it. Which, I do not know how to upload a tv show to youtube. Someone else will have to tell you about that. :( Sorry.

• Members

I use Final Cut Pro software to edit videos. I get the soap clips from Cazi's Corner or Favorite-moments.net, where there are people nice enough over there to record clips on their TV's & upload them to the site for other people to download and do whatever with. When I upload videos to YouTube, they are in Quicktime (.MOV) format.

I am not sure how people record stuff from their TV's, I really wish I had the device to do that. I have been meaning to look into it because I would save up for one of those in a heartbeat. If I had one of those then I wouldn't have to worry about going to other sites to provide clips for me because sometimes they aren't very reliable & up to par with things...

When I make GIF's, I first edit whatever I want in the GIF in Final Cut Pro, save it as a movie file, then I use this software I randomly found called "Movie To A GIF" (which is awesome and really works!!) to transform the movie into GIF format then it's all done ;-).

• Members

Yippie! :) Thank you, everyone, for the detailed replies! :) I'm going to try and play a little and see comes out. Of course, if anyone wants to share their experiences, he or she is more than welcome. :P

It's not difficult. There are plenty of guides out there, depending on the software you have etc., you just have to have the video in a certain format, log in to YouTube and upload. :)

• Members

Good to know that even freeware has an in-built YouTube upload. Many shareware video editors have it.

I've just dug out that YouTube now recommends these settings for highest quality videos:

• H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format
  • 1280x720 resolution
  • 44.1KHz Stereo MP3 or AAC audio
  • Frame rate as the original video
  • Up to 1GB file size and 10 min. duration

• Members

Freemake has a built in uploader and has an easy way of chopping up clips. It can handle lots of file formats, too.

For downloading video, Firefox has multiple extensions for that. I use UnPlug and Download Helper. Download Helper's newest version lets you save in .mov format. Previously, you only do flash (FLV) and convert from that. For conversions, I have QuickMediaConverter.

Freemake, DVD Shrink, and QuickMediaConverter can all rip video from DVDs. DVD Shrink will only do it with DVD extensions, though, and you have to convert it.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

If I understand your question correctly, you want to convert those MP4 files into AVI format? I would suggest downloading the free software Format Factory. I use that all the time when I need to convert files. It's really easy to use and works perfectly, sometimes a little slow depending on how large the file, but it gets the job done. If you download it, tell me if you need any help.

http://format-factory.en.softonic.com/

Archived