Paul Rauch OUT at 'Y&R'

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Abbots are still a family but things have changed a lot since the 1980's when they all lived in the same house and ate breakfast together. They are adults, and living their own lives. Also, Billy is more Jill's son than an Abbot. Tracy coming back would be a waste. Bell wrote her out for a reason: boring with few romantic potential. Anyway, with Nina back, we have enough blasts from the past.

• Members

Disagree. If anything, the battle between Ashley and Gloria was FAR more interesting than her rivalry with Jack. Actually, Ashley was the best part of that storyline and the Abbotts on the show, and LML jettisoning her off was a big ol WTF? moment for me.

There is so much wrong with all this, I'm not quite sure where to begin. The Baldwin/Fishers were created to cause conflict with the show's tentpole characters and pillar families, not be a pillar family of their own. That should have never happened- Kevin, in fact, is a short-term character that's been on what, 6 or 7 YEARS now? And he STILL feels like a short-term character, after all this time. If Y&R wants to build a family off of Lauren/Michael, they should bring back Joanna & Scotty, not focus on Michael's God-awful tribe of misfits. How much more interesting would it be to see SSH's Joanna going head to head with Jill, Nikki, Victor, Katherine, and the rest of the town? SO. Much. Better.

I've watched the show over 20 years and LML is what destroyed this show. Sure, MAB's not doing so hot either, but LML is what really paved the way. She got rid of the flower shots (love & miss those), gutted Y&R's classic background music and replaced it with cheap "rock" ballads, killed the long-term story (Y&R's trademark), stopped writing the beats of stories, and completely re-did the direction of the show, which was practically unbeatable at the Emmys for YEARS until her (One of the first times Y&R wasn't nommed for directing that I can remember was under her). She is the reason that we get the crap stories we're getting now, she wanted to "modernize" Y&R and ended up ruining it. To be fair to MAB, she was handed a shell of a show by the time LML got through with it. And, after having control of the show for a while, MAB actually had a great 6 month period from like Oct 2008- May 2009, told a great umbrella storyline with Katherine's "death", and even started doing some "old school" Y&R trademarks, like having characters show up at or after the halfway point of an episode.

There is SO much that needs to be done now to fix Y&R. So many useless charaters, mistreated vets, and much misplaced focus. A LOT of characters need to go at this point- the top of my list would be Malcolm (or just PLEASE recast him), Ronan, Kevin, Gloria, Jeffrey, Jana, Lily (bring back Davetta!), Daniel, Billy, Heather, Victoria (rest her, then bring back Heather Tom), and even Chloe, who I like.

I actually really liked JT & Mac and was honestly offended that MAB let them go while all of these asshats got to keep their jobs. I want Victoria rested and brought back with Heather Tom in the part. Why? Because I want the Nina/Victoria rivalry to be revisited, maybe fighting over another man. Bring back Sabryn Genet's Tricia and do a slow-burning story with her working with a guy to woo Vicky & Nina. Or better yet, have her meet JT in DC and start an affair or work with him, trying to get at Reed.

But, most importantly, BRING BACK THE BUSINESS STORIES! It's RIDICULOUS to me that we haven't seen Newman Enterprises in MONTHS and Diane is working with Victor on the friggin RANCH! This show did business stories like no other- it was the focal point of the show for many years- and they were BRILLIANT! The Jabot takeovers, Newman takeover, parachute clauses- all amazing. Here we have Victor, Jack, Nick, Victoria, Diane, Tucker, Jill, Nikki, Ashley- all on canvas. The potential is there, yet we're SO far away from the business world it isn't even funny.

That's what's so frustrating about Y&R, and probably why I continue to stick with it- the show still has SO much potential to be great again, the ingredients are there. If someone would just WAKE up and remember what a powerful show this once was and actually had the passion and drive to get the show back to what it once was, it could be brilliant. And it should be.

I remember at one point during LML thinking the show would never be it's former self again. When she was finally fired, I had hope again and for a short while, I thought it was on its way. But once again, Y&R lost its way and I again have that fear that it will never be Y&R again, only it's worsened. The show is so far gone that I have to wonder if it will EVER find its way back to the soap I fell in love with.

:blink: :blink:

Pass the 1999 Lays Potato Chips. :mellow:

• Members

Getting into my MAB/sheffer mindset (using history to destroy)

Billy discovers his father is none other than his most hated enemy Victor Newman!!(Jill did get pregnant shortly after her brief fling with Victor) The fallout will change lives forever!!

Billy and Victoria realize the shocking truth - they are siblings!!

Victoria discovers she's not a Newman!!-her father is Kevin Bancroft.(Chris Holder is wheeled out for a few eps)

• Members

I just cannot express how much I agree with all of this. ALL of it. Not one edit, not one suggestion. BANG ON.

The business storylines, especially, are what I miss. Kay Alden was the last one to write a great one.

I've thought about that story angle for years now...it was a thing Bill seemed to do sporadically throughout his career (Lily's paternity, Ashley's paternity [which was NEVER exposed, which I LOVE])...leaving things dangling, likely to never be revisited, but there...the tension is THERE. It's part of the reason, for instance, that I found the John/Ashley relationship so damn interesting, she knew he wasn't her biological father, he didn't know and neither of them acted any differently. BRILLIANCE.

I'm actually very surprised that Billy hasn't been revealed to be a Newman, it would give him another chance to rip into Jill (the writing team's favourite pastime it seems).

• Members

Wait a minute, wait a minute. It's nonsense because the Fishers becoming a relevant clan or whatever is just rubbish. But the Abbotts and Winters being utter boringfest boredomness boredom is very true. Their stories have been told, it revolved for centuries around the same crap. Obviously, no one can take them in another directions and there are no means now to do so so...Carl agrees, though he words it differently:

• Members

Billy treats Jill with contempt and barely tolerates her most of the time. The show has made sure Billy has no family relationships with anyone - probably because they see him as an honorary Newman, and have been clumsily angling at that since Miller first started chewing the scenery.

I actually won't be surprised if they do say that Billy is Victor/Jill's son. They can just break up Bacteria and never mention it again, or say oops, Victoria is Kevin Bancroft's daughter. What does Chris Holder look like now?

• Members

No they haven't.

The very idea that characters who existed for 30 years & helped Y&R reach & stay at number one are suddenly BORING or have no stories left to tell is inane.

There's a difference between dead end characters (CANE, Kevin, Gloria) & characters who are irrelevant due to terrible writers.

+1.

• Members

Yes, I know the difference, thank you. Watch it because any minute now that member whose username I'm forgetting will pop up and say: I want to know how on earth did Y&R become no. 1 when Victoria Rowell came in when it was number one for several centuries before that?

These characters are done, their stories are done. No writer can make Kristoff St. John's Neil an interesting character. No writer can make Christel Khalil's Lily any less annoying. Only Shemar Moore can be Malcolm, but we know how he loved that job. Which leaves us with Victoria Rowell, who with her tweets and family-less like this can't possibly be a part of Y&R again.

But I do not care.

I am most sure you think otherwise, and that's nice. :)

• Members

Excuse me? It's my opinion that tension existed, for the viewer, between John and Ashley, as well as Dru and Neil and Malcolm because pieces of storylines were left dangling and never touched. It left open possibilities. The same is true for Billy's parentage. Am I not entitled to that opinion? Really?

Archived