Paul Rauch OUT at 'Y&R'

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I know and I see your point. I made my catty comment because of those people that make these five minute long diatribes that lead to absolutely nowhere and then make controversial statements like "LML was AWESOME" either because they want to appear edgy and/or due to their lack of good taste.

• Members

There is nothing more boring than endless stories about fake death, brainless women, and unclean frat boys, especially when these stories are clumsily made up as they go along and then don't even have endings.

Y&R hasn't evolved. It's regressed.

• Members

Seriously, they're only "boring" because of the way MAB writes them. I seriously shudder to think what this show would be right now without Nina as she is absolutely the best female character on this show.

How in the world are Jack, Jill, and Ashley "played out" or "dead end"? WTF? As opposed to Gloria, Kevin, and the countless others who have absolutely no purpose on this show.....

• Members

Agreed, the show is currently in a piss poor state. I just don't think it's possible to recapture some former glory circa 1995. The idea of Jack or Ashley making the same old mistakes over and over again yet never learning a damn thing makes my head hurt. A lot of characters have aged out, too. Soaps are supposed to be (somewhat) sexy. A poster earlier mentioned that she'd like to see Victoria and Nina fight over a man but, at this point, such a SL would be more comedic than compelling.

A major problem is that TPTB never really let Jack or Ash ever grow up and build real families of their own. The idea of all the siblings still living in the Abbot mansion feels sort of incestuous and sad. I'd love to see Jack really focus on a romance as well as his children with the same fervor he does Victor and, now, Adam.

• Members

Dude, LML was about as edgy as a bagel and as controversial as a Buick Regal. Her claim to fame was the melba toast mainstream Knots Landing. During her tenure, however, ratings stabilized which is note worthy considering Jack Smith's long bleed. It is MAB who tries to be pseudo-trendy and keep up with The CW.

• Members

It amazes me that you guys thing a new EP will have any storyline input?

Y&R is big momma's house; Maria is EP and headwriter and only what Hogan Sheffer and Scott Hamner cook up hits the scene... Rauch was very involved in the day to day production but that's it. With his replacement maybe there will be less filler sets - those built for one day for no apparent reason but yet the show cannot afford to pay Jess Walton et al for frontburner stories lasting longer than two weeks... But that's about it.

• Members

Actually that often touted black storyline was potentially built dring his tenure: the Tyra mess was cleared and Malcolm and Sofia were brought back/in. That Maria & hacks aren't writing for them is another issue, as well as Darius and Christel's total incapability. The only thing I could see Rauch behind is killing the Neil & Ashley pairing.

• Members

Bad acting does not stop people from being front and center on this show.

Malcolm was only ever brought in as a token. So was Sofia. Rauch at GL brought in black characters who were supposedly going to have some sort of purpose, and then they would just take up space, making a few appearances a month (if that), before vanishing. This happened through three different headwriting regimes, and ATWT had many more stories for black characters at the same time, so I can't help blaming him.

I think MAB and Sheffer and Hamner all deserve blame for poor stories and casting decisions regarding That Black Storyline, but I will say that until Rauch's arrival I never felt like Y&R almost completely phased out minorities.

Archived