December 27-31, 2010

Toups

• Members

It really is a shame. I truly don't want to see any show do badly. I was watching the show "Selling New York" on HGTV and Ellen Dolan (Margo ATWT) and her husband were trying to sell their TriBeca loft and they needed to either do some updates to the roof terrace or lower the price. They chose to lower the price because ED said because she is out of work, they are simply out of money and they could not put any more money into the place. It really made me kind of sad. They lowered the price and the loft sold.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have no feelings about D&D but I think the real culprit is the Fronsian element. First and foremost the noxious Rylee overload but also this BTDT with Erica and Caleb, Kendall the forgetful shooter, JR/Annie, and the sidelining of characters with potential.

AMC just feels thin and empty to me. More like detergent than soap.

• Members

Sigh my poor AMC. I dunno what they can do to get out of last place--I still think the show is remarkably solo, if admittedly NOT remarkably exciting. The only other soap I follow is OLTL and I'm not quite sure what happened to get them such gains (although all three ABC soaps--surely they're worried about GH?--are pretty close).

I know I'm biased, but I still feel like it has a more stable "soap" feel than most of them on air right now--but that probably isn't even close to enough. I do agree though that Frons seems to be the culprit of what ISN'T working (mainly anyway...)

• Members

I can say this as someone who was an AMC fan for years and watched GH for some years, I think AMC is the show that has suffered the most out of the 3, although I was never a OLTL watcher. But as much as I hate to commend Guza or the regime led by Frons and Phelps, I can say at least GH in some ways maintains an identity. I think a lot of people see it as the "action" or "mob" soap and while I know so many onliners hate it, it's probably a fact. And looking at the rest of the soaps they each have something. Days still has that campy old school quality and OTT villians, YR as bad as some feel it is, still feels to me like the high end more sophisticated soap. BB is just trash and doesn't pretend to be anything else. But at least these soaps have some level of uniqueness. With AMC there is none of that. How would someone describe AMC to a non watcher in terms of the type of show/soap it is. It's no longer about social storylines which was always it's mark. The only thing left for AMC that truly makes it unique is Susan Lucci, While she's not on a lot, people know her and identity her with the show and vice versa. Frons has turned AMC into a bland show that has no special identity. I know he's done that to a great extent with the entire lineup, but GH and OLTL have managed to return some level of uniqueness. AMC hasn't and it's gone.

I don't know if any writer can actually change that or actual carve out some new identify or if ABC even cares to. The fact that they are looking to McTavish for a writing change tells me they are looking to someone who can come in and give them a short term uplift in hopes of perhaps giving AMC another year of airtime before cancellation. Sad.

• Members

Monty I didn't think you watched AMC? I admit, it's easy to blame Frons for what one doesn't like--but when things like Ryan and Greenlee are eternally pushed forward no matter who's writing--and he and JHC (who doesn't seem to have much say) are the only common denominators, I think it bears some truth.

• Members

I don't watch it anymore. I loved this show during the 70's and 80's. Something happened in the 90's that made me tune out for good. I decided to tune back in when DW and DM returned. I feel in love with the show again, then BOOM.....Pratt and freakin repeated dialogue and constant ridiculousness of the overbearing Ryan made me turn it off again for sure. Then they had the audacity to move the show to LA, LOL. It's just not the same show to me anymore. That feeling is gone.

Probably, but he doesn't do the actually writing. The HW's come up with what to write. Right?

• Members

Read my prior post. I think the problem is much larger than just the writing. I think Frons's vision was to make the shows as similar as possible so people would sit down and watch all 3 and it would be almost seemless. I am not sure if that makes sense, but I think what he failed to see is many people did/do that anyway. But that doesn't mean viewers want all 3 shows to have the same look and feel to them. It's almost like he wanted the shows interchangable in a way. I don't know maybe I'm not making myself clear but that's not a writing decision. That's a vision set on top that gets implemented over years not days or months.

• Members

I understood what you've said completely. Others have said the same thing. It's just hard to swallow. There is nothing similar between these show except for maybe the openings and the announcer that says "blank on ABC is brought to you today by"..........

• Members

I don't know. I don't know how long you've watching AMC but if you've watched it for any extended duration, this show is nothing close to what it was. I'm not talking in terms of writing. The whole community feel the show used to have the heart it had that IMO no other show matched just has been ripped. If you can enjoy it now and enjoy the writing and characters it's great you've found something positive out of it.

• Members

There's definitely truth there. And it's also no secret that, while I get the feeling he doesn't even regularly watch the show, he has clear character favorites he pushes on the writers. So even if he doesn't do the writing--if he tells the writers "I want Greenlee with Ryan by Nov sweeps" and that's not within their vision--he's essentially doing some of the writing.

• Members

I get and respect that--and I hate the idea of the LA move too (although I begrudgingly admit it's not been nearly as bad for the show as I expected, and in some ways--looks--has been an improvement). I guess we just will have to disagree--I do, right now, feel some heart and a thin sense of community on the show--and I find the heart element *right now* utterly missing on my other soap, OLTL (aside from some attempts by Slezak and others to bring it) which seems like it's oddly trying both to be as completely non traditional soap opera as possible, while campily relishing every tired soap cliche it can muster.

Archived