All: Big Mistakes Soaps/Networks made over the years

• Members

Over they years soaps and the networks made some huge mistake that could actually save them in years to come:

Another World:

Killing Frankie Frame

Doing Away with the Matthews

Never bringing Iris Cory back

Days:

Killing Off Renee DiMera

Recasting Roman & Mickey

Creating the New Salem Island

Although I liked Stephanie Cameron, Recasting Jennifer Horton

The Tale of Two Romans

Billie return as a cop.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Days:

Getting Rid of Deidre Hall 2008

Not Bringing back Elieen Davidson when they had the 2 chances...

Not firing this hack writer Dena H.

Not Bringing back Horton's to the fold.

Making Alison Sweeny the star of the show when she's not.

Horrible Story for Louise Sorel/Crystal Chappel

The Lighting budget

GH

Killing Alan and AJ and Emily Quartermane

• Members

I think CBS owns this topic. Two come to mind but I might have a specific wrong here and there.

First, EON was doing well in the late afternoon but P&G and CBS decided it needed to form a block with other P&G shows, was moved earlier, and its audience dropped never to recover.

CBS again and the bizarre way they detached GL from the rest of daytime, to air as affiliates see fit.

• Members

ATWT:

-Letting Goutman and Passanate run the show into the ground over a five year period.

-Giving no hope to ATWT after GL's cancellation.

AW:

Expansion to 90 minutes

CBS/P&G:

-Getting rid of SFT in favor of Capitol, not giving the 1981/82 line up a chance; then P&G demanding NBC air it at 12:30 right against Y&R.

-Lack of promotion for GL and ATWT

NBC:

-Canceling so many soaps over the years not giving them a fair chance see NBC 1968-1975

Y&R:

-Getting rid of Alden and other Bell-hand picked successors in favor of letting Smith, Latham, Griffth and more recently MAB/Rauch/Sheffer/Hamner let the show run into the ground with no hope of a future.

• Members

Ok, that seems like a good show! Seem like it was before its time, but it last a very long time.

NBC Mistakes:

Cancelling Generations

Letting Paul Rauch take over Santa Barbara (can you imagine SB today? No Alexis Davis for GH, Brenda Epperson probably would have been back as Ashley after Shattuck.)

Not keeping its three soap line up when Passions came along.

• Members

CBS definitely does own this topic.

Not only messing with The Edge of Night (thank God ABC aired it for almost 10 years), but the cancellation of Capitol for The Bold and the Beautiful was incredibly senseless to me. Have to add Search for Tomorrow to the list.

• Members

I was thinking about this one just last week... when all's said and done, I think we'll look back and, all snark aside, see that AMC's decision to place Ryan as the heir apparent to Erica was a bad decision. I'm a little baffled by how his initial popularity for taking off his shirt was parlayed into his spot as the show's chief male protagonist several other characters have been anchored to. He certainly has his fans, but I think he's also alienated a good many viewers. I don't think AMC needed a male figure like him when they'd traditionally soared on the strength of their ensemble. I think Ryan has in certain ways been a conduit for sexist and uncreative storytelling.

• Members

Biggest mistakes?

Racist and sexist, bigoted, regressive storytelling.

No longer letting shows have individual identities.

Enabling people like Sheffer, Guza, Rauch, et al who have open contempt for soaps and the daytime format.

Chasing after viewers who have no interest in soaps.

Anything Disney did after taking over ABC - while you can praise them for keeping all the soaps (minus PC) on the air, there have been some heinous "creative" minds running ABC Daytime for many years now. Even before Frons, you had the pointless Linda Dano crossover, the rape me Todd doll, etc.

Focusing more on who is to blame for failures than actually correcting the failures, and profiting from those failures.

Allowing rape and child molestation to dominate stories year in and year out, especially when you do not have the guts to seriously deal with these issues.

Archived