Most Expensive Properties of Two Thousand and Ten

Sylph

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Together with the Manor, for example? Will the Manor ever sell? Perhaps. But not for $150m, especially since Candy doesn't want to sell it to Arab sheikhs and royalty.

Fleur de Lys is also listed with Joyce Rey, of Coldwell Banker. There was that rumour about Mariah Carey buying it, but when you see what she ended up purchasing, it just looks hysterical. Even though, its tackiness is pure Mariah, it would suit her.

How on Earth did the Sapersteins decide to build this thing?! Whose idea was it? Suzanne's? Who ended up living in Simi Valley? wacko.gif

Apparently, the property got an award from the French government. unsure.gif

• Members

Yes, the house was Suzanne's idea. I think she's being stupid. She's trying to cash out of her marital home (she got it in the divorce) and she's trying to cash out at a price nobody is going to pay. She can afford to hold onto it. In this market, she should.

I firmly believe that The Manor will either sell to an Arab or never sell. In all honesty, I think Candy should keep it, bulldoze it, subdivide the lot and build a new home, smaller, warmer, more personal that would suit her needs and provide her with plenty of cash. I have no doubt she could sell a subdivided lot for $40+ million. But that's it, the house, as it stands, is probably worth $80 million. The $150 million price tag is just so ludicrous it defies all reason.

• Members

Well, like I said: it's either an Arab sheikh or Hassanal Bolkiah, a third choice doesn't exist. Arabs would pay more than $100m for it, but, again, as I pointed out, it's not worth more than $70–80m, that's it (though, when I asked you, you didn't confirm my assessment).

It was an "accident". Candy didn't understand blueprints so every room seemed small, she kept telling the architects to make it bigger and at one point Aaron had to say: Hey, Candy, this is getting too big. So she stopped.

They even had to cut one wing.

• Members

I thought I DID confirm your assessment. Didn't I say it was worth $80 million?

An "accident" my ass. The Manor is all Candy. What she resents is that she's never been the social queen of Los Angeles that she's aspired to be. She isn't Betsy Bloomingdale or Marion Jorgensen and it irritates the hell out of her. Candy has just never cut it, socially, so she built that house as a big F You to the whole town...except it made her a laughingstock because it's so tasteless and empty. Much like its owner.

• Members

I am very much against this. So many old Bel Air estates got destroyed when this happened (not that the Manor is old Bel Air, it isn't). Take a look at Greenacres, that mansion isn't supposed to stand on such a small lot and be surrounded by those disposable homes. The Platinum Triangle is overpopulated, it really needs more air to breathe. And better architecture, not Landry designing every mansion around. Which is why I'm glad Brad Bell tore down Gregory Peck's house and replaced it with a lawn. Plus a tennis court.

P1-AS406_MEGAMO_G_20091106173304.jpg

• Members

Right, but as you've admitted, The Manor is not old Bel Air...nor is it even a nice home. It's not a home, it's a tacky hotel that belongs in Dubai. What LA County screwed up, legally, was not having stricter building codes so that areas wouldn't be so crammed. Room to breathe, I absolutely agree, is essential...but in an area like the Platinum Triangle, people with no taste are going to build, build, build as big as they can go.

I think The Manor is such an eyesore, just blow it up and start fresh.

• Members

It's absolutely horrendous. I could go with bulldozing it, but that's as far as I would go: no to the division of the lot.

Have you seen this aerial photograph of the estate? The surroundings aren't that bad, but my, my, is it an eyesore or what? mellow.gif

Strolling around South Mapleton Drive, I've noticed that Jimmy Iovine's mansion has almost the exact roof of the Singleton Residence. I didn't like that. There are so many terrible houses around that place, it's astonishing.

• Members

The Tranquility estate in Zephyr cove, NV is SUBLIME, at least on the outside. All the others aren't worth having. the Hearst mansion might have possiblities if it weren't so fuc$ing PINK. I wonder what one would have to fork over for a place like Worlitzer Palace in Dessau in today's money. My great great great grandfather designed this place.... I can tell you, his taste for formal architecture certainly didn't get passed down to me!

7a5df0552360625d39fa07c11c82_grande.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived