AMC - Wednesday 12/15/10

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish Angie would have swung around and caught her in the eyeball with that cane. "Wow Angie, with my eye all bandaged up I can half realize what it's like to be like you. (sotto voce) Just like the child I'm carrying..." Now that's soap opera folks.

• Members

Take that article with a grain of salt, considering it says Erica had an abortion in "1971" more than once... which is not the case. Someone else didn't do their research, either, because the abortion happened in 1973 after the decision in Roe v. Wade -- which is why Erica's abortion was a landmark story in television history because it was the first legal abortion in daytime drama. I don't know how anyone could miss that important fact before writing that piece, but whatever.

Nevertheless... I, for one, am glad abortion isn't a heavily used story device. The infrequency lends itself to the idea that abortion isn't an easy decision for a woman to make, and it also makes the storyline, when approached, that more significant. Personally, the last thing I think the genre needs to do is make abortion stories as disposable as "Who's the Daddy?" stories or even rape stories.

• Members

And I agree with you! :lol: In addition to your point, I also think they need to stop having characters who have no business being parents getting pregnant. For instance, with AMC, there's no reason Kendall should have two young children. None. The character's role on the show does not lend itself to being a mother of two young boys. If she's going to be the "unpredictable, troublemaking schemer" Kane daughter that takes after Erica, she has NO BUSINESS being a mother... Which comes full circle back to the 1973 abortion. The Erica Kane character would've been DEAD if they had made her a mother that soon.

• Members

I absolutey loved the scene after Annie's daydream when she said out loud to herself that "yes I will marry you JR" and then she turned around and realized that no one was there and the camera panned above to show how alone she actually was.

The best part about that was that there was no music, just silence and that made it so much more poignant.

Archived