2010 Awards Thread

Toups

• Members

Haven't seen Blue Valentine yet but I'm happy but Michelle Williams!

Blue Valentine is such a powerful movie Loved it. Ryan Gosling was robbed of a well desevered Oscar nod. Both he and Michelle Williams gave such raw performances that I'm still moved by it days after seeing the movie. The movie belongs in the Best Picture Catergory replacing "Winters Bone"

I"m also disappointed that besides Jeremy Renner, "The Town" was virtually shut out which is a damn shame. Steller movie, with a great script, top notch cast and great direction.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

That pretty much describes the Coen Bros' movies that I've seen - "No Country for Old Men" and "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

And the trailer for "A Serious Man" looked sooooo boring too.

So I have no intentions of watching "True Grit" or any other Coen Bros movies again.

• Members

The main reason the first True Grit was popular was because the Academy wanted to reward John Wayne for a long and successful career.

This one, I guess people love the Coens.

This is superficial, but Mark Wahlberg always looks so damn smug every time I see him, that I'm glad he wasn't nominated.

• Members

i liked "No Country" and "Fargo" is great. This one though was typical dross. You take an old man, have him be a crank, he befriends a youngster, and call it a character study. I think Clint Eastwood starred in almost the exact same movie a couple years back but it was called "Gran Torino", and that was painful as well to sit through.

And as for True Grit specifically, the original was no great shakes either. John Wayne made a lot of great movies, a couple are real classics. True Grit was not one of them. "The Searchers" is generally considered to be a masterpiece, but I much prefer "Man Who Shot Liberty Valence". Now that movie is a 10 out of 10. "Fort Apache", "Rio Grande", "The Quiet Man"...there are a lot of truly enjoyable John Wayne movies. (and most seem to be directed by John Ford-the greatest director of old Hollywood). The Oscar noms for this movie is just group think at work.

• Members

:o Toups.... being a film buff and dissing the Coens is like blasphemy :P

In all seriousness, I realize they are not everyone's cup of tea, but they think outside the box and I prefer long drawn out bits of smart, crisp dialogue to ACTION ACTION ACTION any day of the week. Which explains why Tarantino and the Coens are probably my favourite film makers today. Some would say they are pretentious, I would say they are very smart and quirky. I thought True Grit was actually the most mainstream movie the Coens have made, definitely the most accessible anyway. It had everything a Coens movie is known for (excellent cinematography, excellent dialogue, crisp editing) but it also was told in a very linear, easy to follow format and there was a nice, clean resolution to the story at the end (something I know frustrated alot of people who saw No Country for Old Men).

• Administrator

With Tom Hooper winning the DGA, looks like "The King's Speech" is now the Oscar favorite to win Best Picture and Director.

If "The Social Network" or "The Figther" wins the SAG tonight, that film will be challenger for the home stretch. But if TKS wins it, it's over. There is no race.

• Administrator

SAG Winners:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

COLIN FIRTH / King George VI - THE KING’S SPEECH

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

NATALIE PORTMAN / Nina Sayers – BLACK SWAN

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

CHRISTIAN BALE / Dicky Eklund – THE FIGHTER

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role

MELISSA LEO / Alice Ward – THE FIGHTER

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

THE KING’S SPEECH