Y&R: Week of November 29

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I completely agree. S ure, she's a little too old to play 21, but I just don't care. I'll take a decent actress where I can get her.

Y&R has much bigger problems than Abby's age. As far as I'm concerned, Marcy is an excellent recast . In a year or two they can claim she is 25 or 30, it's not going to matter. Just like we really have no idea how old Nick, Vikki and Adam are supposed to be.

• Members

That says it all.

Was there any need to age Abby so many years and to give her Amber's old stories? Has the Newman family become any less unbearable and entitled because now they have another person for Victor to dupe or Victoria to, depending on the episode, commiserate with or snub? Were the years of stories they still could have told for Abby, and for Ashley and Victor, with an Abby who was in her teens, so worthless that they had to be junked in favor of Abby as a bad Paris Hilton clone?

There are no longer characters on Y&R, and while Rylan has fared better than the other line-up of husks played by stars of other soaps, it still doesn't make me believe anything Abby says or does.

Which has helped to basically kill those characters (along with the terrible writing).

Even with Y&R's obsession with the likes of Pop Tart, the actresses on the show aren't the problem. It's the terrible writing and characterization. No amount of acting talent makes up for the crappy writing on this mess.

• Members

Please. Character age is the least of this shows problems. It's certainly the least of Nick's problems. It doesn't matter how old Nick should be. It wouldn't make a bit of difference if he seemed older or younger than Adam or Vikki.

Acting talent may not make the show perfect, but I'll take a good actress over a bad one any day. A bad actress (hello, Daisy) brings the whole show down, just as much as the writing. At least MR's Abby is watchable.

• Members

IA and she is a much better actress than this girl

YRMay13th195.jpg

They could have kept Hayley Erin in the role, made her 18 and written Abby the same way, wanting to be a teen reaity star, fighting Victor and Ashley for her trust fund money, all while hooking up with Daniel. That would be even more unbearable than it is bc she wasnt a good actress at all. I am at least entertained by Rylan's performances bc she is charismatic and talented even if I hate her material. She's not a likely choice for the role given her age, but she isnt a terrible choice. She's an improvement over the previous Abby and she's decent enough that she isnt bringing the show down, which isnt the case for the pick for worst recast, which is Eden as Heather or Darius as Malcolm in his (fortunately limited)scenes

• Members

Lord, yes. That would have been a nightmare. Sure, we all wish the writing were better, but at least the problem isn't compounded by a horrible actress. If I didn't know how old MR is, I would have believed she was 25 or so anyway, so I'm not going to stress about a few years. This show has far bigger fish to fry. Anyway, it's far more believable that Ashley and Victor have a 25 year old daughter as opposed to a 10 year old.

• Members

I actually think that the refusal to give a definite age for the characters is a big problem. They refuse to ever write Sharon and Nick as anything other than brain dead bags of hormones who do not have to face the responsibilities of having an adult son, and their refusal to do so means that many interesting stories that they could have had with Noah were all tossed away, since the show doesn't want to face them having a teenage son. Meanwhile you have Victoria, who should be in her mid-40s, running around blathering that this is the first time she has felt alive, and being written as if she's 20.

I'll take a good actress too, but then, Stephen Nichols is one of the strongest leading men I've ever seen on a soap -- has anything Tucker ever done been more interesting because Nichols is in the role? When Abby went around "naked" on a horse or rutted in a pool, did you think, "What acting!"?

The writing is actor-proof. And Abby as a character does not really exist at this point -- it's just a bad replay of dated Simple Life episodes.

Archived