characters whose personality's have changed over time

• Members

David Vickers, OLTL

Kendall, AMC

Julia, AMC*

Natalie, AMC

Janet, AMC (more than once)

*There's a fine line between softening/maturing and all-out personality changing, so this can be kind of hard. SO many young women went from mini-vixen to sympathetic young heroine.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think they were mostly focused on what would suit the stories for Todd and for John. I think they also didn't want to put too much focus on what happened between Todd and Marty, as that would make it less about what an emo stud Todd is and how any woman he touches is lucky.

• Members

I suppose you could argue that Sami Brady kind of went that way after her rape by Alan in 1994, although rather than being a hard-ass she tended to pass herself off as a victim and scheme and manipulate behind the scenes.

But it is notable that (aside from switching the paternity test for Belle and later kidnapping her which are two things Sami did of her own accord) she took a mainly passive role in Lucas's schemes to keep Carrie and Austin apart. But after the rape, she tried to set Alan up for another attack her (which went wrong but she did shoot him in the groin!) and then took a far more active and aggressive role in trying to keep Carrie and Austin apart.

• Members

Yes. Unfortunately, moments after she vowed never to be a victim again, the big "C" on the Capwell Hotel sign struck her down and killed her.

I'd nominate GUIDING LIGHT's Bert Bauer. In the beginning, she was a very unsympathetic woman, even if her motives were always understood by the audience. When she realized that her constant nagging was slowly destroying her and Bill's marriage, however, she began to change. Eventually, she became the wise and loving matriarch everyone mourned when she (and Charita) passed away.

• Members

Since Ron and Frank and everyone else at OLTL can't do the decent thing, realize RealClint is not the same without Clint Ritchie (nor the Buchanan family, in general, w/o him and Philip Carey), and just gradually phase him out of the show.

• Members

When I think of Clint, I think of this

Jerry Van Dorn may be very talented and a nice man, but he isn't Clint. And the writing...when I saw Clint's goons beating up that young guy I was disappointed they changed his character so. I don't watch OLTL much (I can't understand why anyone would watch a show that had no use for Tina but kept Marty), but I caught that and it seems hard to believe this is what Clint has become.

• Members

+1

Perfect

For once, we agree 100%--especially in regards to Kay (Y&R) and the manner in which Goutman ruined my ATWT fav Emily. Always had the feeling that Emily had to be weakened in order for Carly to take center stage...thoughts? Emily was the 'star' before the arrival of West but, slowly, KLH became just another supporting actress.

Jill isn't Jill without Brenda Dixon. The character evolved, grew up, while played by Dixon; however, Walton totally changed the character. I like nuJill but things just ain't the same.

Billy Miller is still the only area in which we disagree. I see the issues relating to the writing as opposed to the actor who reminds me of realJack. It is as if TPTB have no real plan for the character.

I would add:

Paul Ryan (ATWT)

Barbara Ryan (ATWT)

Lilly Walsh (ATWT)

Most of the Cast (ATWT)

Jack Abbot (Y&R)

Taylor (B&B)

Ashley (Y&R)

Clint (OLTL)

Luke (GH)

Patty Williams (Y&R)

• Members

Ugh - I would rather not mention Paul Ryan. Thinking about it makes me sad.

I think that KMH just didn't really suit the material which best served Emily. To me this got in the way quite a bit in her first few years, but the character really went to hell around 1998, when they had her start going after Tom.

She is a more neurotic actress, and the show ended up going way overboard with this. The time I thought they got her best was when she was with calm and cool men, like Jef Hamlin, and Hal. I'm sure someone at ATWT thought this was boring, but to me it was her only real connection to the character's potential.

I also liked her with David Allen and was sorry the show junked that and for no apparent reason proceeded to completely eradicate David's character.

Archived