Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, there were four kids.   Steve was the oldest;  he was  preppy, confident, yuppie-type character who prized his virginity and delivered heart-warming lectures to everyone about making the most of their situation.   Then there was floundering teen Paul who was a drop-out and a complete disappointment to his parents.  And the little girl Patty (a/k/a "Pipsqueak" or "Pip" for short) who was about 15.    And then there was the unseen brother Todd who was "away studying to be a priest", which delighted Carl and most especially Mary, of course.   (Several lines of dialogue in 1980 indicated that Todd was probably even younger than Patty, or at the oldest, was slightly younger than Paul but slightly older than Patty.   He seemed to be away in Catholic prep school (high school) studying to be admitted to the seminary.  But by the time the character was finally introduced thirty years later in the form of Corbin Bernsen, he'd morphed into the oldest brother.   That didn't seem to be the Bill Bell's original intention for the character.  The idea was PROBABLY that we were going to meet him as a seminarian, as "The Thorn Birds", about the tempted priest, was very popular at the time.)     

• Members

Andrea Evans was definitely playing Patty when the shooting happened. She did recall the shooting, but only after her therapist had everyone act out the night in question. It all came back to her. Patty had originally intended to kill herself in front of Jack, but he begged her not to shoot herself but to shoot him instead. So she did. I think Patty moved out of the house and she and Jack separated, though may have gone to therapy during this time, though I think Jack got sick of therapy. I remember their divorce became final the same week Nikki and Victor got married. I am sure there was an episode where the wedding was still going on while Patty and Jack were in his office signing the divorce papers.

Terribly unsatisfying seeing Andrea playing that scene out. Bell had been building to this for quite some time, the affair with Diane, the miscarriage, finding out Jack only married her to secure the presidency of Jabot, Patty was very isolated in the Abbott home, too proud to go to her family for support and had Jill actively working against her. all that stuff was Lilibet, I think Andrea literally took over at the time of the shooting.

• Members

I think I read that she opted not to resign (Lillibet) and Bill Bell was disappointed because he had lots of story he wanted to do with Patty.

I think Andrea did as well as one could do being thrown into the climax of a 2 year story (1981 was when Patty started crushing on Jack).. so I think she was a good sport.  Oddly.. she had a lot more to play in her almost 18 month stint as Patty vs most of her stint as Tina..imho (The jack/Patty divorce closure talk was well-written and well acted.. but had Lillibet stayed, it would have had even more impact..imho).   I do wonder if Bill Bell would have written Patty as being responsible (by accident) of Traci miscarrying if Lillibet had remained in the role.  

• Members

Yeah same, I believe Lilibet definitely wanted out, not sure why. She really didn't do anything after Y&R, except a guest spot on a tv show, so maybe she was ready to quit acting all together.

Bell was full steam ahead with the storyline and I guess he couldn't back down, Andrea did her best, but not being the actress in the role for all the build up of the previous 2-3 years would have made it hard to play out. Andrea had no time to settle in as Patty, so I don't think she ever had a chance to find the character for herself.

I am surprised Lilibet didn't at least agree to stay a few more months to play out the storyline. Seems odd she would jump ship at such a big moment in the story. About 10 more months and the divorce was final. She probably could have left sooner, after it was discovered she was the shooter, which happened around the time Brenda Dickson returned as Jill.

• Members

Lilibet stated in recent years she started to feel acting was not her passion and wanted to do something with her life to help people. She then later became a nurse. She said Bill Bell was upset that she chose to leave as he had big plans for her on the show. 

I know what you mean with the story not having the impact as it would have had with Lilibet in the role. The same thing happened on Guiding Light when Cindy Pickett left the role of Jackie Marler. When it all came out she was Phillips biological mother to Elizabeth, it lost steam and was a disappointment. 

Back in the mid 90's they toyed with the idea of bringing Patty back.Bug was looking at a photo album with Mary and they showed pictures of Lilibet and they discussed her. Then they had a scene showing the back of a blonde girl making a call in a phone booth the day of Bug and Paul's wedding and everyone was gone as the phone rang in Mary's house. I wonder if Lilibet was being courted to return ?

• Members

Patty was pretty out of it. I remember Andrea as Patty walking along the street on the way to Jabot muttering to herself and clutching the gun, kinda like Sheila and the letter opener in her purse at the lab after she had that fight with Lauren. Not sure Patty even knew what she was going to do, but once she got in there she held the gun to her head, Jack pleaded, it was his fault take it out on him, not herself and bang, she shot him at least a couple times I think. Not too sure

I vaugely remember Patty telling Jack she was going to punish him by shooting herself, so he could see what his actions had caused, but maybe I am wrong about that.

Edited by will81

• Members

What makes the Patty/Emily story make even less sense was that Patty/Jack divorced.. had closure.. and she was put into the Danny/Paul/Lauren/Traci orbit for the last six months or so of Andrea Evans stint... and the character wasn't hung up on Jack.

• Members

Wow never knew they even thought about her in the 90's, especially after Soo much years of not hearing a word about her.

Her and Traci have some damaging/no coming back type relationship, I always forget that Patty has killed 2 of her kids that's crazy how we never seen Traci in rage over just thinking about Patty williams.plus what did Traci ever do to Patty back then I swear they friends at one point if anyone remembers.

I think Patty should have gone after Diane because I swear Diane was mean to party if I'm correct, I thought when Diane died that they would have just made it be Patty who killed her because there history goes well with why Diane would have met her demise!! But no instead they made be Nikki