DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Yes.  Ej did.  The basic gist of the story with me probably getting some details wrong: when Jarlena first returned in 2011 EJ set it up to make it seem Basic Black was laundering money from investors or some sort of embezzlement thing.  John went to jail and then was exonerated and used his own money to pay the investors back.  Jarlena had scenes about making a budget and everything.  They never mentioned getting the money back, but I assume they did.  Whether it be from EJ or a come up from one of John's other identities or Basic Black being successful since then. 

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
50 YEARS AGO TOMORROW...BILL HAYES FIRST APPEARS ON CONTRACT...

Here's a look at the first contract status report featuring Bill Hayes (Doug). Hayes, who made his "Days" debut on February 18, 1970 as recurring, made the switch to contract status on May 28, 1970, exactly 50 years ago tomorrow. As fans can see, Macdonald Carey (Tom) was guaranteed 45 episodes for this 13-week cycle, almost double everyone else in the cast!

100951108_1785324528276480_2979136925941

• Members

Wow, how do you get all these great gems? 

Was this also the period where Bell was using recurring actors like contract players and vice versa. I seem to remember a letter you posted on your site about this being an issue, maybe it was 1968 or something. Wasn't Susan Flannery was on recurring for ages.

• Members

Yeah, she refused to go on contract for 2 years. In an interview she did once, I think she said it was even longer until the 1970's, but from the production paperwork, it proves she went on contract around the end of 1968, once she was about to give birth to Mike. I guess they finally locked her once she gave birth to a Horton and they wanted to make sure she stuck around. But she immediately left the show in 1975 once they had to have everyone sign a new contract because the show was expanding to an hour.

I do remember posting a letter about Bill using too many people and that he'd have to cut back due to the budget. There was also that interesting note where he wanted to bring Marie back in late 1969 but he was told that could not happen because that would activate Marie Cheatham's contract again somehow. So he had to wait until 1970 to bring Marie back so she could stay recurring and not on a guaranteed contract.

I guess that's how they enticed Mac to join a soap in 1965, by guaranteeing him a lot of episodes.

• Members

I wish other shows had someone with your access and diligence documenting things like this.  Casual fans may not care about such information, but we do!

I would love to see what the guarantees and actual usage were during Reilly, and would kill to see this kind of information about GH.

• Members

Who knew my love of Days & stats in 1990 would lead to this 30 years later!

The most fun was when the show contacted me to find out an episode that Kathie Lee Gifford was in so they could play a clip of her on Today for the 50th anniversary in 2015. Since they knew most of my records were already computerized, it would be quicker to check with me than them having to comb through their paper records from the 1970's.

When I started this back in 1990, never dreamed I'd be helping two of the longest-running shows on the air find an Episode # to air as a clip!  

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

BETTY CORDAY INTERVIEW FROM 1975...

Here's an interview with "Days" executive producer Betty Corday from 1975, during the show's 10th anniversary, and published in Daytime Serial Newsletter.

Edited by JAS0N47