DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

Fairly certain I remember a Soap Opera Weekly preview from around then saying that the disembodied boots following Eric around Salem Place was meant to be Eric's gay lover from Colorado, which seems to make sense considering the boots turned out to be some random person who was on for about two scenes before disappearing and Nicole very hastily being introduced. It all seemed very much like a rewrite to me, even at age 10, as opposed to the plan being to introduce Nicole all along. I do wish I could find that magazine to back it up, but I'm sure it's buried in my childhood home closet somewhere.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I remember the rumors back when he first came back via Jensen Ackles that Eric had had a secret male lover in Colorado. Then his secret turned out to be some girl he met at Bible school.

I guess it's fitting that Jensen Ackles would go on to play a character endlessly speculated on as gay or bisexual by many of his show's fans...

• Members

As a straight female, I was really excited for this potential story.  And then nothing....I think Eric being  gay/bisexual would have made great story.  Marlena accepting it, but Sami and Roman struggling and Eric struggling with himself.  Better than the JA pairing with Nicole.

• Members

Yeah. I had no interest in that pairing, and Nicole was just drab at that time. It really was just Jensen's looks and charisma that carried the part. It wasn't until Supernatural that I even knew he could act.

• Members

I always thought JA could act.  He was just wasted on Days.  And he was so dreamy to me at 15.  Like, so hot, but as an adult I realize Eric was dull AF and annoying.  His Fauxman/Marlena pimping was obnoxious.   I love when Eric tried to fight John and John was basically saying I am not going to fight you (because clearly I would win) and Eric kept swinging...  It was a waste of time and talent.  He so much looked the part of Sami's twin and Marlena's child.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Like @j swift, I've been reading the Classic Soap Opera Digest Tumblr. One thing I've just realized is that 1990 was an across-the-board bad year for female Hortons.

Hope died. Jennifer was raped. Alice had heart issues. Maggie got hit by a wall during the storm. Julie came back divorced. Melissa ended up losing Emilio. And didn't the Maggie and Neil affair start that year, causing Sarah angst? (ETA: Yes it did, and Sarah ended up in a coma, too.)

Laura was lucky to be in the sanitarium. Ditto Sandy out in Hawaii. And Marie wherever she was. 

Edited by Franko
Corrected some info.

• Members

Fans who complaints about current doppelgangers should read about the period of the show when not only Shane had an evil twin but his ex-lover also had an evil twin!

Also, if I didn't know better those stories about Emilio's return due to viewer demand seemed like a parody. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Halfway through May 1995. Kristen has become convinced Marlena is possessed and is trying to convince John as well.

Eileen Davidson is giving an absolutely brilliant performance. My God. She brings a ton of energy, knows exactly how to handle the complicated, hard-to-get-right scenes she's had to play, and is basically the #1 reason to watch. Not a single false note. Just jaw-droppingly good. I think it's some of the best acting on a soap I've ever seen.

Deirdre is also clearly having fun. Now that Kristen is on to the Devil, Kristen and 'Marlena' have had to act like enemies and the  chemistry is off the charts. I wonder if this is when Reilly decided Kristen and Marlena should have a feud. How could you resist?

Meanwhile, John is as sexy as ever but Hogestyn trying to act like he's incredibly tormented by his attraction to Marlena which he MUST RESIST is so, so, so hilarious. He plays it as if he's having an appendicitis attack! Still, in most moments he remains charming, competent, and incredibly hot.