DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

It's always been strange to me that the show never really did much with Marlena's side of the family.  Outside Sam and a cousin no one else from Marlena's family ever really showed up through all the different regimes and writers.  And I suspect Sam was only added because of the novelty of Deidre having a real life twin.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the easiest time to integrate Marlena's family was in the early 80's, but the main focus was building the Brady's.  There was also probably a great window between Roman's death and RoJohn's appearance as well.  By the 90's I guess Marlena had enough to deal with in her romantic life and her own Salem family.  I don't really don't know why the show wouldn't easily introduce a long lost son/daughter for Samantha and even teenage grandchildren.  The same way they introduced Jada and Talia.  Their ties to the canvas are much more flimsy.

• Members

Oh, if only they had considered this before introducing the SORASed Sami ... I will concede that so much of the drama from Sami's storylines has been because she's Marlena's daughter.

Casting ideas? For whatever reason, Phillip Michael Thomas was the first guy who came to mind.

• Members

I also thought we had a brief glimpse of the Evanses at some point. But it certainly was not much! 

Last week I was listening to an audio only interview from BITD with RKK. He said his first gig was as a stand-in on Miami Vice & then he got promoted & his second gig, also there, was as a background actor. He said it taught him so much, that the biggest part of being an actor in TV is sitting around waiting & it taught him to have patience. 

• Members

Their parents made brief appearances. I’ve seen a blurry screencap of Frank Evans at Marlena’s wedding to Don, and I’ve seen a clip where Roman phones Martha after Marlena is seemingly murdered (remember, he didn’t know Marlena had a twin).

Edited by EdibleFlowers

• Members

No she wasn’t. Marlena wasn’t married to a Horton. Her relationship with Alice in particular was mother/daughter. 

I think it’s important to remind you, Donna, that Roman only exists because of Marlena. He was brought on specifically for her. Bo, Kayla, and all the others owe their existence to Marlena and Deidre’s popularity. She is the star of the show after all.

Edited by EdibleFlowers

• Members

Oh, yeah, my mistake, I was thinking Caroline & Shawn. Not paying attention. And, yes, Queen Dee is the star of the show now, and she has been for ages but she wasn't originally.

Before, there was Julie & Susan. Denise Alexander was once the highest paid actor in daytime. And, Pat Falken Smith was paid an absolute fortune to create Roman. And other Bradys & Stefano. The show was also an ensemble. 

I just saw an interesting poll, who was the better performer Lucci or Dee. Dee won by an amazing landslide. Of course she would win but I was surprised by how much.

I honestly have no need to be schooled about Deidre Hall. 

• Members

I actually don't think it's fair to say characters like Bo/Kayla owe their success to Marlena/Deidre.  Idk, I just think if a character is written to be related to someone that's not the reason they exist or become popular.  For example, I would say Bo owes his existence more to Hope than he does to Marlena.