DAYS: Behind the Scenes, Articles/Photos

• Members

He did it a couple of times, though I can't remember why, lol.  And he sang too, of course.  Something from Pagliacci, I think. 

Laura didn't hate Julie, she was just doing all kinds of crazy things, like putting toddler Jennifer on a bus by herself.  She was having visions of her dead mother talking to her too.

Not sure why these posts merged, sorry.

Edited by jam6242

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
FROM THE VAULT: 43 YEARS AGO...OUTLINE FOR # 3406...JULIE GETS BURNED

Here's a treat for "Days" fans, the full outline for # 3406.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by JAS0N47

• Members

3 days in a row! Thnx! @victoria foxton
From May 4, 1964, to June 25, 1999, AW was on the air for 35 years, a whole adult lifetime into middle age. Apr. 12, 1999, announced the cancellation, 23 years ago, a whole young adult's lifetime has passed since the hurt that day. How long will it hurt? NeverNot. 
NeverNot's the word I just coined to express how long it will hurt.

@jam6242

The system does you a favor by merging 2 that you make close together. If it could be said to have intention, it means well. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Thank you @victoria foxton Another solid episode

Interesting choice Bell made to have David and Susan loathe one another. It seems Susan simply hated David for getting her pregnant. I wonder if there was a moment when things turned between them, or if it was simply the situation that made Susan hostile towards David from the beginning. She can't seem to help herself but to always respond to him with vitriole.

What I find so interesting about older soaps is that you didn't need over the top stories to grab people's attention. You needed solid characters with depth to make whatever story you were telling fascinating. Ultimately we talk about Susan/David/Julie and not just the story, because they are why the story works. I do think this was a large part of why Bill Bell was such a good writer, he invested in his characters and cared about them.

• Members

Thanks @victoria foxton!  You are awesome!!!!  Loved the episode.

So question to anyone that might know, is it normal for an episode to feature that lengthy of a flashback?  I loved it because I obviously hadn't seen it, but it took up a lot of the episode.  

Also, side note, did Tom ever go find Alice?  Was she with the handsome widower down the street?  Scandal.  

And purely physical, but John Clarke did not look like a young, swinging bachelor even in 1966.  I love JC, his years of loyalty, and he is Mickey, but I would have probably cast someone younger or someone who projected younger for that role.

• Members

Compared to Ed Mallory, for example, how do you see the two of them seeming age-wise? I have this theory that in the past people looked older. I think you can look at a picture of seniors in high school in '63 & again at seniors from the same place in '66 & see a marked difference.

• Members

People definitely looked older in the past -- I'm sure some of it is because we present-day viewers see them as 'old-timey' and as younger versions of people we know as 'old', but styling was very different. Think about the fact that Tamara Braun (Ava) just turned 51, and Frances Reid (Alice) was, I believe, 52 when Days premiered in 1965. Lauren Koslow (Kate) is 17 years older than Frances Reid was when Days premiered. Styling was very different, and it makes a huge difference. Mickey of the mid-60s doesn't read as being 33 (I think that's how old he was when the show premiered). He feels, I dunno, 45?!

• Members

Styling is an issue for sure, but I am talking more about visible wrinkles and a receding hairline on JC.  I think Deidre Hall looks the same age from like 1983 to 1999 (insert plastic surgery joke here) and Kristian looks older in 1984 than she does in 2004.  That's styling.  John Clarke and Ed Mallory look older than their age and don't age well.  I think it's part of the era, but it doesn't hold up well for long term IMO.  But YMMV on this topic.  

• Members

They really didn't start casting soap actors based mainly on their looks until the early 70s.  Mickey (and John Clarke) is one of my favorites, but the only time I crushed on him a bit was when he had the long hair and beard when he met Maggie.