MTV Reinvents Itself

Sylph

• Members

I love MTV shows.

I watched the Teen Mom reunion thing today with friends, and everyone was crying. I watched jersey shore with cousins, and everyone was laughing. the challeneges are always entertaining, the real world (sometimes), made, true life, if you really knew me all really make me think and question things.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with you on most points. I think Teen Mom is great, I was crying on the reunion also (except on the Amber parts. I do not feel sorry for her one bit & I think she needs to be put in a cage with some rabid bears where she belongs. Also I cannot stand Maci!).

I think Jersey Shore, Made, True life, & also World of Jenks are all good shows and I still tune into them. As for the Real World....ugh. I haven't been interested since the Denver season. The challenges are still fun though.

• Members

Yeah, RW has sorta rebounded in the last year and a half or so. Brooklyn, DC, and NO were all fairly decent. Cancun, not so much.

I just wish they'd shock the f!ck out of everybody and have the new cast think they're headed out to a notorious party town only to have their little GPS system direct them straight to a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. The "real world" consists of more than just big cities. Not everyone ends up in NYC or LA. Send 'em down da bayou.

• Members

This version of Skins won't have any gay male characters? Hrmmm

I admit, I was a big fan of the UK show--first as a guilty pleasure, then I grew to honestly really love it, then the new cast came in and I was iffy again, but they won me over as well--though like many UK fans the utter slap in the face of this season's non ending kinda made me lose interest--for now (I have friends who went on big dramatic "never going to watch again" moments about it--I wouldn't go that far, but...) The thing with Skins is with each episode focvusing on different characters and often with different writers, the show lurched quite wildly in terms of style and quality week to week (I admit in many ways this is one of the best things about it). That said, I did have to quit thinking of the kids as "real" (I'm sorry--I know that high school students drink, do drugs, have sex, etc--trust me, I was one of them--but nothing to the extent shown in the show) and more as an extreme and slightly surreal take on teenagers.

Anyway, the UK producers have been trying their hardest online to keep fans from prematuraly bashing the remake. And to be fair, they're invested in this--it's not like when Russell Davies just sold away his Queer as Folk concept for a remake--some of the writers and I believe the production house are involved in the MTV version of Skins as well. And I appreciate from the ads that at least it's not a LOT more glossy the way US remakes invariably are...

But I kinda agree with fans that this doesn't show all that much promise--a simply changing the locale and accents won't necesarily work. Still--I suspect it'll be a hit for MTV, at least with viewer numbers and in the short run.

• Members

They kinda dropped the gun on Maxxie by Season 2 though he still had some good (but brief) stuff with his new bf, etc. Skins *is* style over substance, but at its best, the way some movies manage, the style became the substance and it could be oddly moving or powerful. I think it'll be hard to maintain that in the US even with some of the same creative team.

But hold on--so will this version recreate the characters and stories more or less of the first two seasons? Cuz I thought it was meant to be all different characters, the way the UK show is every two years anyway--and not simply what Queer as Folk did so badly--change some names but try to redo the same characters/stories.

*edit* nevermind, they're doing EXACTLY what they did with Queer as Folk's remake. Sigh.

"The first episode of the US series will mirror the first episode of the UK series, although it will deviate from the original plot in following episodes. The characters are also the same, although some names have been changed, such as Sid has been renamed Stanley and Cassie renamed Cadie. However the biggest change comes in the form of Tea, a lesbian cheerleader who replaces the UK character of Maxxie"

• 1 month later...

Archived