MTV Reinvents Itself

Sylph

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was watching the Jersey Shore finale this weekend I kept seeing those Skins promos. I was fast forwarding over them over and over again until I finally looked, then I watched the sneak peak of it at the end of JS. It looks really good to me. I have never heard of this show before, did some research though & I am reading everywhere that people think the U.S. version looks like it will suck!! I'll definitely be tuning in to see how it is. Wish I could see the British version first though.

ETA:

I stumbled upon Teen Mom one day and got hooked. That show is the best. LOL. I hope they have another season planned.

• Members

I don't have high expectations for the US version, but the original UK show wasn't pure greatness, either, so I think a lot of people are overstating the merits of the original just to use it as an opportunity to down MTV. But then again, opinions.

I'll watch it because of curiosity, but like I put on MichaelGL's status a few days ago, the fact that they made the gay male character a gay female character leaves a VERY bad taste in my mouth. Here was an opportunity to, ONCE AND FOR FREAKING ALL, get past the usual sturm and drang of coming out drama and present a young gay male who is already out of the closet and is accepted by his friends. If I had any belief that the portrayal of a young gay female would be something other than the Katy Perry/"I'm so naughty, I kiss girls, teeheehee, are you guys turned on by me and my exotic self?" nonsense, I'd be more than willing to give it a chance, but come on. Come on.

• Members

MTV gave up on presenting anything other than bad stereotypes of gay men (just compare the more recent Real World seasons to the first few years) -- but then their shows are now all bad stereotypes. Skins could have been different, because, even though I thought the British version was incredibly overrated and was style over substance, the story with Maxxie and his weird relationship with Tony and his strained friendship with Anwar were all things that were rarely seen. Now you just have a female version of Maxxie who will, I'm sure, be turned by Tony, because in the media, that's all lesbians are good for.

The problem with having a show like Skins on MTV is that Skins was actually something relatively fresh for British TV. MTV is already full of brain dead young people who have nothing of value to say or do. What's so great about adding more?

Not to mention that most of MTV's attempts at scripted shows have been weak and they have also had some outright flops. The last time I enjoyed anything scripted on MTV was the cheese of Spyder Games/Undressed.

• Members

If you're on MTV and you want to get attention you almost have to act like a brain dead young person. The only thing MTV gets headlines for now is about some guy punching a woman in the face on Jersey Shore and Teen Mom getting attention over the stuff about whether she beats up her boyfriend.

• Members

Oh yeah, she'll be turned for sure. If she's not of the Katy Perry variety, she'll be of the angry/bitchy/feminist/"She needs a good poke!" variety.

I loved a lot of the Maxxie/Tony story, especially the initial stuff. This scene was one of my favorites simply because it was so refreshing to see a young gay character stand up for his feelings in a way that wasn't heavy-handed or dripping with saccharine.

I also liked the stuff with him and Dale.

• Members

I can agree with this. My generation takes a lot of flack, much of it deserved (which can be said about any generation), but I think we're largely misunderstood. We're all about having a laugh, enjoying life, and getting along with each other, and I think our music, movies, television, and entire pop culture profile reflects that. There's progress in there when you think about it. I personally think history will be kind to the last five or so years.

Archived