All - Returns that fizzled

• Members

Add Lee Patterson. After years being the popular lead actor as Joe Reilly on OLTL, He got plucked away by TEXAS for a ho-hum role that barely lasted a year. He got hired again years later by OLTL, amidst a lot of of fanfare, as Joe's long lost twin Tom, a character that really didn't fit in to the storylines at the time.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with that especially Stefan/Katherine pairing. The show had both on for awhile without any interaction then one day decided to pair them (thus breaking up Katherine/Mac and Stefan/Bobbie).

Another couple that worked on one soap but not on the other was Ethan/Theresa on Passions. They were the star-crossed lovers (using that term lightly LOL) but when they were repaired on DAYS as Brady/Arianna.. it didn't work. Same with Jake/Taylor GL's Gus and Harley.

• Members

ATWT never did well with returns. The most recent, Molly, was just lame and a rather silly distraction intended to divide Holden and Lilly--she had no other purpose. Most other returns were recasts: Craig, Meg, Paul, Sierra, Lilly, Dani, Allison. Scott Bryce had a rocky return because the character had been so altered. Bryce as suit clad villian didn't work for me yet I did buy into his 'love' for Meg.

Returns are tough and it is hard to recapture original magic. Often, it is just better to make new characters and let them fill the void. Returns are all about the ratings boost but rarely are of much help.

• Members

ATWT's returns were no better or worse than anyone else's. Historically, Lily's, Holden's and Carly's returns in the '90's solid gold. James' first return in the late '80's is a classic. Even Simon's and Rosanna's returns in recent years propelled story.

I personally LOVED Scott Bryce's return. It's TAIC that didn't like how much SB humanized Craig in a short amount of time and then fired him.

• Members

I know alot of people may disagree with me on this one and I don't know if it could really count, but I do feel that Beth Ehlers return to daytime on All My Children was a MAJOR flop. I watched her as Harley and I knew what all the actress could do, but I don't think she was ever really given the chance to shine on All My Kids.

• Members

No it wouldnt count as that wasnt a return to daytime as she never left it. She went right from GL straight to AMC. She was still airing on GL when it was announced she'd be jumping soaps. As far as her jump, actually most people would agree with you. Taylor was a waste and she stole the name of one of my favorite characters. She wasnt fit to be called that

• Members

I don't think Molly's return was lame. She was one of many plot device characters but then, honestly, aside from a year or two with Jake, that's all Molly EVER was.

I think they should have put her into more scenes with Carly, but otherwise I thought her return was generally well done, minus the stuff with the Congressman. She was a believable pairing with Holden (frankly I think that the show should have kept them together and just moved on from Holden/Lily for good) and she generally managed to keep her dignity, never turning into the random psycho she could have been. The episode where she left with Abigail after she realized what her own choices had helped lead Abigail into, was a strong episode, and Lesli Kay gave a great performance, as she did throughout most of her return.

• Members

I think Vivian's return on DAYS has been a bust.

She, like the current Stefano, is like a shell of her former self. She's not creepy and dark like she used to be. Actually, the Alamains were pretty scary period back then (perhaps attributed to my young age and impressionability at the time)

Archived