All - Returns that fizzled

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would say Reva Shayne's return to GL in 96. Yea, I know the show became the Reva show, but that Reva post resurrection was not like the Reva we saw before.

Lisa Brown's return as Nola/Robert Gentry's return as Ed Bauer/Marj Dusays' returns as Alex after her first run/GA's return as an "alive and sane," Phillip (the material was good compared to the rest of GL, but it took too long for them to get him back, and the show was already dead so his return didnt spike the ratings, as a matter of fact, that was really the ulimatum, Phillip's return has to spike the ratings or the show would be cancelled.

• Members

Omg, I can't even remember the circumstances of how/why she left, I just remembered she showed up having been locked up in a cave or fireplace or some odd place. I hate how DAYS offers no follow-thru with people being imprisoned. Like the "real" Tony being stuck on an island for some 20 years. He returns to Salem and instantly fits right in with the business world again. Same with Lexie. Imprisoned for 6 months... no biggie!

Returns that fizzled:

DAYS' Steve & Kayla, 2006

DAYS' Billie (Lisa Rinna), 2002

DAYS' Justin, 2009

GL's Bradley Cole as Jeffrey O'Neill, 2003

Definite WORD to Wayne Northrop as Dr. Alex North, 2006 (or was it '05?). If they wanted to try a successful Kate/John/Marlena/Ro-whoever, they should've brought Wayne back as Roman and said buh-bye to Josh Taylor.

• Members

Eric I think that it must have been McTavish who had plans for Cecily's return, because it was painfully obvious no on else there did. I remember reading that Cecily was supposed to cause problems and interact with Phoebe -- none of that really happened. I swear, it's been a long time though, they might have even said she'd be in a story with Tad.

remos, I was wondering, what would you say made Justin and Adrienne a success in their returns? I know some gave them mixed reviews or felt they didn't get very much airtime.

• Members

Cecily was involved in that very dated s/l with Charlie, the surge of anonymous online romance in America, chatrooms, IM, *brrrring* They were being flirty on their computers all the while sitting across the room from one another, neither the wiser. I hardly remember Cecily doing anything besides working at the P.I. office, I think she may have also done some matchmaking/handholding for another female character, it's hazy.

• Members

I think her car went over a cliff or something with (in my celeste's voice) Thomas Edward Kramer. I agree Tony DiMera just came right in knew everyone who came into the community after 1986. I hate when the writers do things like that. Tony should have been traumatized or something.

I agree Josh Taylor should have went bye bye as Roman. Even though I didn't care for Alex, Wayne played the hell out of that characters.

I seen that someone posted about Robert Gentry return as Ed. I remember that but not so much the years. How long was his stay and what was his story? I thought he was pretty good, but fans had grown to love Peter Simon.

Barbara Pratt return as Claire on GL in the early 2000's wasn't so great.

• Members

Wayne's return to DAYS in 1991 was the biggest disaster IMO.

Steve and Kayla's return failed because the story they most naturally fit into was summarily dropped. The decision to fire Matt Ashford was a disaster for them. The show (meaning KC) just couldn't accept that Jack had a place on the show without Jennifer. Corday couldn't remember that Jack was a major star before Jennifer was, and in the first run, the story mostly revolved around him. So instead of doing the right thing, and tying Jennifer to a radiator in the Gaza Strip, they got rid of MA/Jack--again. The proper way to re-introduce Steve and Kayla was in a story through Jack, one that would have finally given the fans what they had been demanding for 5 years--a chance to learn more about Jack Deveraux, not just another storyline about "that guy Jennifer Horton married" trying to get her back.

Instead we saw Adrienne helping Steve get his memory back, in a signature moment of the show's impending collapse under Hogan's pen. Then we were treated to Bo, Hope, Steve and Kayla--four together, together forever. It tanked.

Amazingly, there were even references to Kayla's rape, something that Jack fans had been requesting for years, long before SN&MBE returned to the show. The show made areal effort to treat Steve and Kayla like superstars, something they deliberately tried NOT to do with Jack and Jen. J&J/M&M were not allowed to proceed based on their fan support, as indicated by fan mail. KC had a place on the show for them in his mind, and it would not bend. He wouldn't let them rise. When they did get good material, they knocked it out of the park. When Jack was arrested for Colin's murder, for one weak the show was about him. Matt and Missy instantly shot to the top of the fan mail. But after one weak, incredibly, even Colin's murder was taken away from them and given to Bo, Hope, Shawn and Belle. That was symbolic of everything that was wrong with the show--if ever there was a story that was meant to be about J&J it was Colin's murder, since there story heavily revolved around him for a year and a half. But when it finally got exciting, it went to someone else (who promptly made it less exciting). The ultimate example from this era was when Chloe had cancer. They didn't even mention that Jack was a cancer survivor. There's no way they would have done that with any other character.

Steve

• Members

Robert was on for a few months, if even that. He mostly returned to object to Michelle's relationship with Jesse Blue, and argue with her father (who was played by quite a good actor -- he had a better role on Oz a few years later). I had forgotten that he also had a scene with ghost/vision Maureen.

Claire's return story started out OK, when she was involved in the story with Rick and Abby breaking up and trying to reconnect with Michelle. After that it started to kind of fall apart. The idea of her with Alan should have been interesting but didn't really go anywhere (I remember her with a big cigar in her mouth to try to show she wanted to be with the big boys). After that she pretty much vanished altogether.

I also never understood the weird thing where she and Olivia knew each other from a cruise ship.

• Members

Off the top of my head (some of these date back, of course):

-Noelle Beck's return to LOVING in the 90s

-Mike Kasnoff's return to ATWT with miscast Jon Prescott in the part

-Chris Hughes' (Daniel Cosgrove) return to ATWT

-Santana's (Wanda DeJesus) return to Santa Barbara

-Kirk Cranston's last return to Santa Barbara, when he wore the patch

-The re-pairing of Stephen Nichols & Mary Beth Evans on GH

-Macy's last return to B&B

-Steve & Kayla's flop of a return to DAYS (even though I liked him MUCH better this last go round then his original run- I think I'm one of the few DAYS fans that had little to no patience for "Patch")

-Doug's return to DAYS in 87

-Julie's return to DAYS in 90, though I always LOVE me some SSH

-Marcy Walker's brief return to AMC in 2005 to prop Babe (who Liza hated) & Jamie

-the first half of Maria's return to AMC (I rather enjoyed the last part of her stint)

-Julia's (Sydney Penny) return to AMC, though I've always hated Sydney Penny, I did kind of enjoy her in her first run

-Robin's (Derya Ruggles) return to DAYS in '89 or '90

I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

• Members

Really? I thought her return was one of the best. She brought back some much needed life to the show and had a great story. She didnt come back to nothing and she wasnt wasted. They unfortunately killed her off within the year bc Bobbie Eakes wanted out of her contract but there was tons more for Macy to do and many directions they could have gone with her

Archived