Man Of Steel

Toups

• Members

And, then again, there's stuff like this:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/man-of-steel-review-a-surprisingly-human-superhuman-story/

I guess each person posts the reviews that more agree with what they thought and/or expect from the movie laugh.png

Saw it a second time. The effects and action still dazzle. I don't care how dusty or muddy the shots are, they take your breath away. Super speed is conveyed as best as possible, something I supposed is notoriously hard to do. Some of it is repetitive but it quickly moves on to something else.

Of course, the movie never bothers to answer any of the questions it poses but for me it didn't matter... both times the audiences reacted with laughter at the (few) comical moments and there was hearty applause at the end.

Superman is really such a tough character to convey. He is not vengeful (Batman) or flashy (Iron Man) or not in control (I guess Hulk) so it is tough to do anything with him but external forces coming to haunt him. So I commend the movie for trying to give him an inner life and conflict, and they were lucky they had Cavill. When I imagine the pompousness some other actor would have brought... shudder.

I see why the reviews are mixed. In the end, it's a popcorn spectacle and, for some reason, people expect it to be JUST LIKE The Dark Knight while simultaneously deploring it for being too Dark Knight-like. But I get it. It was such a blank slate, everyone projected their own expectations onto it. A big part of the movie fulfilled the expectations that I had, so it was fine by me, but I can see my others wouldn't appreciate it.

A read some comment that almost the whole movie felt like an origin story and I have to agree. Yes, we don't know much about Superman or Clark Kent (apart from the fact that he drinks beer and watches football... how American of him!). But this is where it gets interesting... if they get to make a next movie (which, at this point, I'm fairly certain they will), it will either make or break the whole series. They will either find an inventive, fresh way to go ahead or it will flop for good.

Hopefully they can make him work as a character.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm compelled to buy another ticket after reading your post YRBB!!!

Aside from your reaction Russell Crowe (which I can understand) you basically summed everything I loved about the film...;)

And Henry Cavill is so good at angst it's scary. You can just feel the mix of emotions going thru his head as the film progresses and things become progressively more complicated....

• Members

I saw it yesterday, and while it didn't rock my socks (the only Superman I've ever watched), it was good. The action was top notch!

Cavil is delicious! I didn't even mind the hairy chest because his body is just so beautiful!

Russel, is just the man of my dreams. So happy he is getting a divorce so that I can lust freely!

The overall story was written very well, but Supe and Lois were a bit rushed. Because of the long standing history of this story, you don't rush Clois.

• Members

Go for it! wink.png

Yes, he really taped into that well.

You win some you lose some lol

I found it so exciting that they didn't insist he get rid of the chest hair!

I think the Clois part suffered a bit because they insisted an all the action. I would have loved to see a bit more of a build up. But I'm sure the next movie will provide with enough Clois interplay lol

Btw, here's Cavill working out for MAN OF STEEL. You're welcome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-uJylK2o6ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And, in case you missed them, "inappropriate tweets" about his general sexiness (some of them are really funny):

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/13/henry-cavill-superman-man-steel/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/14/superman-henry-cavill-man-steel/

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/15/man-of-steel-superman-henry-cavill/

OK, I'm done! tongue.png

• Members

This movie was ok, but I found it to be sort of heartless and completely charmless. Superman isn't Batman and it is ok for Superman to smile once in a while. They completely discarded the whole Superman/Lois/Clark angle right off the bat and that is one of the cornerstones the whole saga is based on. Henry Cavill was ok and downright good in places, but the movie rarely gave him a chance to show any personality. One review I read sort of summed it up when they said watching Henry Cavill makes you appreciate how talented Christopher Reeve was and how effortlessly he played Superman and Clark, This Lois was a dud completely. Perry White was such a small role that it barely made an impact and I don't understand the decision with Jimmy Olson and "Jenny".

The last hour was this epic action battle sequence, but I think it stands as evidence that action cannot replace charm and heart, These battle scenes were huge, but the original from Superman II was more satisfying and maybe because it was a little corny. Where was "Kneel before Zod!" ??? This Zod doesn't have the flair Terence Stamp had I'm afraid. I honestly found the best scenes to be when Clark was a child, but again it was all too glum and somber. No interpretation ever went this serious route before and I think they all--from George Reeves to Tom Welling--had a better grasp on what and who Superman is supposed to be.

Strip away the Superman skin and it is a perfectly fine action movie. As a retelling of the Superman legend it falls a little flat. (But nice to see BSG's Felix and Helo in small cameos)

action583-2.jpg

• Members

I'm glad they discarded the whole Supes/Lois/Clark thing. Like Zach Snyder said the whole glasses thing makes Lois seem really stupid.

I like that they thought outside the box in regards to things

If you thought Superman came across like Batman all I can say is uhm no not even remotely

Archived