Man Of Steel

Toups

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Superman is one of those heroes who doesn't work as well in modern America. The solution to this seems to often be making him dour (right down to the drab costume in this film). I don't think that works either.

This also reinforces how poor and uncharismatic most of Hollywood's leading men are now. They had to scrounge around to find anyone. I'm sure Cavill does his best, but the only thing I remember of him is when he showed his ass on The Tudors.

• Members

Cavill was excellent though and evils I had doubts about Amy Adams she really sells the movie...

The third act....OMFG. People will say its just a bunch of action but visually it's stunning and I was honestly shocked at how visceral it all was. For once I didn't regret going to see a movie in IMAX.

The flashback scenes are just all so moving. And Kevin Costner seriously almost had me in tears at certain parts.

It's just a really good movie and I'm praying the numbers reflect that. I'm past caring what the critics think. They really sold me on this origin story and you can tell how Nolan grounded Superman and showed the struggles he's had to endure.

Last but not least the controversial "decision" that Superman makes at the very end? WOW

• Members

I don't agree. All the major movie super heroes are played by charismatic and engaging leading men; Robert Downey, Jr. (Iron Man), Christian Bale (Batman), Chris Evans (Captain America(, and Chris Hemsworth (Thor). With exception of the struggles with the Hulk, all the castings have be perfect. Henry Cavill is the one who is dour and lacks charisma. He was so hot on the Tudors that I read an interview with him. He takes himself waaaay too seriously. He thinks that he is Brando or DeNiro which is delusional. At some point, he even complained about having to take his shirt off because he was "serious" actor. RME. He is lucky that I was not casting Superman, he would have never gotten the role.

• Members

I like Chris Evans, but I don't think he's charismatic or the best actor for Captain America. He's OK though. I preferred him in the Fantastic Four movies.

When they do a good job with casting a superhero role, they can really nail it, but when I think of Ben Affleck Daredevil, Jennifer Garner Elektra, Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern, etc. it's just dull and duller.

Cavill does sound very self-serious. I guess that may explain why he took the role, if the film is also dour. I'd like to see him film that "Superman walking across the world" storyline, that would probably be unintentionally hilarious.

• Members

I completely disagree with about Evans. I think that he is very charismatic and that he is the perfect Captain America. Did you see the Captain America movie or are you working off his more serious take on the role in the Avengers? Regardless, I think that there are strong charismatic leading men in Hollywood, not all are obviously, but this is no different than it was in the past.

Whatever public persona HC is trying out these days, it does not change the fact that he was downright ridiculous in the interview that I read when he was on the Tudors.

• Members

Both of you right though. He can be both serious about his craft AND hilarious and I've seen interviews where he's both. He was on Jay Leno the other day promoting Man of Steel of cousre and he seemed pretty funny and laid back to me. He's a game (just like me) and he was talking about how he was in a serious World of Warcraft session when Zack Snyder called him to offer the role. He was talking about how he was so into the game that he actually missed the call after lunging for the phone when he saw who was calling and I found it pretty hilarious.

Then in another interview with Fandango he talks about his role as Superman/Clark Kent and what its like trying to portray the character. I was actually impressed at how deep he could be and how serious he was taking the role.

I don't think he thinks he's the next Marlon Brando. I just think he realizes that this is probably his last shot to be a major star and that this could be THE breakout role for him so he's taking care to not eff it up.

Ryan Reynolds was absolutely horrible as Green Lantern but then again he's horrible in pretty much everything. I just can't wait till he stops acting. I've never gotten the appeal of Robert Downey Jr. He just has sketch written all over him.

Chris Evans is hot and the typical All-American Good Boy but ultimately he comes across very boring so I see what you're saying in regards to him.

• Members

Same here! I think it has more to do with him seeming to have a bit of shyness

from what I've seen of HC he seems really nice has ALOT of charisma and seems to be an all around good guy, his co-stars have nothing but praise for him-as a person & otherwise...................

anywho I'm going to my local drive-in tomorrow night to see this :D

• Members

Saw it! It's one of those movies that puts you on a post-movie high that just doesn't go away. IT's been three hours and the soundtrack/images are still stuck in my head.

The movie boldly re-imagines some aspects of the story and manages to make it a concept that fits modern times. That's definitely not a media lie to get people to see it. I was not sure they would be able to make Superman work but they absolutely did. In the cynical times, were we want our superheroes gray as can be, MAN OF STEEL managed to retain his niceness, his desire to do good, without ever making him preachy or hard to understand/sympathize with. Quite the opposite, that is the source of conflict in the core of the character and it is conveyed through several small moments to great effect.

Although it's been said a million times, Cavill is just a wonder to look at, even more so on the big screen. He is just sexy. But he manages to capture this longing for answers, his intense inner conflict on wanting to react to the various injustices in his life so well. And there's a moment at the end of the movie that brought me to tears. You are on his side from the beginning, he almost doesn't have to try lol

Russell Crowe... I cannot stand that man and his take of Jor El is yet another ultra serious interpretation like we've seen before. I wish they would have found some other way. He didn't give me any warmth and I did not much care for him. Kevin Costner, on the other hand, I've never been crazy about but I'll be damned if he didn't make me cry/tear up on every single one of his scenes. Diane Lane was good too.

What I was giddy about was that Lois Lane's general recklessness was still there. As soon as she starts doing her foolish investigator stuff, you know she's arrived. I don't think I can see Amy Adams (as well as she played the part) as Lois Lane, though. I think maybe a different hairstyle could have worked, something shorter, I don't know--something that defined her better. But she sure worked with Cavill.

The effects have to be mentioned because the movie doesn't spare anything. Nothing of the grand scale of the movie is shown in the trailers, so as to not give it away I suppose, but MILD SPOILERS FOLLOWING............................. Metropolis and Earth in general is obliterated. Which is not surprising, considering beings with supernatural powers are coming to blows. The action builds wonderfully... we get more and more action, more and more spectacular fx, until it all implodes.

True, the movie sets up a lot of philosophical questions/wonderings that it doesn't quite remember to look into from the second half on, but does it matter? I don't think so. It managed to deliver incredible special effects action with some great character stuff.

And the ending is perfect. JUST like I imagined it.

Archived