Soap Opera Digest Best and Worst 1999

• Members

Wow, I really don't remember the ending. I just remember that we were originally led to believe Sam was a reformed criminal who was sorry for his past crimes (whatever they were), and Holly took a liking to him. Then at the very end, it turned out she fell for yet another dirty schmuck who skipped town. I don't remember how or why he left, and I certainly don't remember Annie going with him or that they somehow swindled Cassie (?) out of anything. Wasn't she too busy that summer having a lavish pastel prince marriage ceremony? Ah, back when CBS would shell out lots of money for GL for big sets and nice remotes. The idea that CBS preferred GL over ATWT was very apparent in the late 90's (Florida Keys for Reva on the island, Puerto Rico for San Cristobel, two-story sets for the San Cristobel party, etc.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I guess I can see why they preferred GL in the late 90s, as ATWT seemed to just be going through the motions for a while and their brief ratings spike in late 1996 didn't last.

I do remember Wiggin's character taking Cassie's money.

I think the worst part of what they did with Holly was there was no followup. Instead she just went nuts and they aborted the attempt to show her afterwards. Fletcher and Meg stopped by for a brief time but that arc was cut short. There was no therapy or anything. It made Holly look bad. So did the decision to have her set the chain of events in motion that killed Jenna.

• Members

No! Not my beloved Jenna! :) I lobster-loved Jenna and Fiona Hutchison, it's just too bad they had nothing worthwhile to give Buzz/Jenna after they united. That whole Nola thing was one minor weak spot during the latter half of 1997. Then Hutchison went on maternity leave for like 6 months and she had next to nothing to return to.

Her death scene made me cry hard and I don't usually cry at soap scenes. :(

• Members

Yeah they noticeably gave up on Jenna, which sucks, especially since Rauch used her so much at OLTL, and it's not like she had aged since then, not seriously anyway. Wasn't the rumor that she angered someone up high at P&G or she upset Rauch by complaining about lack of story.

• Members

Thanks for additional info, I actually didn't remember the Cassie stuff until you mention it. For me I don't remember what Cassie was doing between the time of Hart's death and meeting Richard. Didn't they bring back the island castaway guy from the clone story to see Cassie? I'm still certain though we saw Wiggin's Sam and Annie leave town together after Lizzie's kidnapping was foiled and not separately. As for CBS preferring GL over ATWT in the late 90s I can see that. Whether we like it or not the clone story, Lizzie the child murderess, and the Nursery Rhyme Stalker did bring in the buzz and the ratings.

I enjoyed the early parts of the Nursery Rhyme Stalker because it was so creepy--something bad would happen and we'd see a black gloved hand leaving behind a note with a rhyme straight out of the Grimm brothers. Not to mention some those incidents were pretty twisted--Ben nearly drowning in the bath, Vanessa and the poisonous spider, Teri/Annie realizing Holly vandalized her own home(before we knew the Stalker was Holly) etc. I think this was the last time we saw Vivian Grant too.

• Members

I don't remember the island guy coming back but you might be right.

I think Hart died in January and the story with Richard started in spring 1999.

In the gap, didn't Cassie befriend Jim LeMay, or casually date him, and Beth was furious and wormed her way in because she wanted Jim?

• Members

I think they brought back out Charles and Vivian in like 1999 or 2000 when David went undercover for the Santoses (i.e. pretended to be a bad police guy but was really working with Frank to bring them down).

I don't remember Teri/Annie's house being vandalized by Holly and her knowing it was Holly before the NRS revelation. Gosh, I'm getting old, or I just didn't pay attention as much at that point.

• Members

I remember tuning back into B&B turning the 2nd half of 1999. It was indeed good. We had Brooke and Thorne getting together and the Rick/Amber/Becky baby saga... Then it fizzled out in early 2000 with Morgan DeWitt and something else that totally uninterested me.

• Members

It think it was more of the summer of that year, as Josh and Reva's wedding took place in May, where the "diary," of Reva was found (how a woman who had amnesia keep a diary, despite the fact that her brother in law tried to drown her and leave her for dead, (she must have carried it in her panties) never made sense but was typical E & B and Rauch, a good idea that wasnt thought out.

I think Cassie did befriend the boring and cheesy Jim.

Island guy did come back, and yea, he was kinda cheesy but he was smoking hot too (they should have just let him go without his toupe, wow, a hot middle aged man who happened to be bald, how unsoap like) They tried to hook him up with Cassie (always E & B' first choice for any man) but he developed this really nice kind of fun relationship with Dinah. They had chemistry and he actually LIKED Dinah despite her constant bullshit, which he called her on. But, he got shipped off to make way for the Gay Prince and they explained that he of course was still madly in love with Reva and had to leave town to get away from that..(though I did like their chemistry too, he had a nice, laid back chemistry with Zimmer which wasnt her usual, hyper "I HAVE to possess REVA!" thing.

• Members

I loved the Morgan story. I loved how it was a refreshing take on an older story. The Taylor/Ridge/Brooke story had been played out so I was glad to see them move Brooke out of that and moved Brooke into her old place. I thought Morgan was a fun crazy character. Its a shame her return years later fizzled out

• Members

I thought Morgan was an interesting idea at first but then she was turned into a forgettable psycho to wash away the crimes of Stephanie. The idea of Stephanie forcing her to get an abortion (which Stephanie WOULD have done) should have been enough to drive story. It all got so stupid when Ridge thought, via phone message, that Taylor wanted him to sperminate Morgan. I preferred the scenes where she and Taylor went to the clinic and the man there thought they were a lesbian couple. I think having Morgan become obsessed with Taylor might have been more entertaining.

Thanks. Did Dinah use him to get pregnant? Or was that just Cassie's ex Rob (I remember those extremely homoerotic scenes between Rob and Hart -- they were even on the motel bed at one point).

Sean was hot. And he had a hairy chest, rare on daytime by then. I remember some saying he had bigger breasts than most of the female cast. :lol:

• Members

Dinah used Rob to get her preggars. When Cassie found out she was pregnant by Hart, she initially tried to pass off the baby as Sean's for whatever reason (cuz Hart was having a baby with Dinah? cuz she was purposely pushing Hart away? I forget the reasons behind her knee-jerk reaction for saying so). Even Hart didn't believe her but she insisted it was Sean's for awhile.

I wanna say that the Hunky Island Man (a.k.a. Sean) was already gone and back to his secluded island by the time 1998 came to a close.

Archived