As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I dont think Marland would have been able to write Maggie so it's for the best.  She probably would have sung the praises of those annoying Snyder's. 

I notice Alan seems to shut up if he doesn't know the stars...and both Duncan and Shannon were gone before he arrived.

To me, most of the GL ones have been fun..and I wonder if perhaps the stars of GL were more animated and fun?

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Frank is still around in early November 1985, as he questioned Kevin after Kevin found Marie's corpse. I think Maggie was gone by this point. I think she left as soon as Marland's material began to air. 

I wonder if Marland or someone at P&G had an issue with Mary Linda Rapleye, as Maggie was not only written out, but I don't even remember her being mentioned again, even though her entire family was still on the canvas and Marland's era was usually very good about history. I had no idea she even existed until I got the history book in 1996. It's a shame, because the character had some worth, and was a good contrast to Lyla and to Margo. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

From Locher's interviews, it seems that there was a lot of good times and camaraderie among the cast as a whole.  I think the leads (Grant, MOL, Zimmer, etc.) liked to have fun (and a good drink) while delivering great work...this set the tone for the show.

Compare that to ATWT, where the leads tended to be a bit older / mature (Don Hastings, Kathryn Hayes, Bryggman, etc.), there were MANY BTS romances (the Hensleys, Pinter-Zink, Maura and Scotty D.), and the show's actresses were of a certain age and likely a bit more territorial (Zenk, Hubbard, HBS, etc.).  The ATWT cast seemed to get along well, but they don't seemed to have had the roaring good time that was the norm over on the GL set.

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members

Years ago, I read an article about ATWT and EON celebrating their respective 25th (?) anniversaries with parties, with Don Hastings saying theirs (ATWT) was a bit dull, and the writer remarking how EON's lively bash was a marked contrast to ATWT's.

So, it's possible that ATWT's set was a congenial set, but also a very stuffy one.

• Members

I noticed that someone in the chat asked Alan why he hasn't had any black actors on yet. I wonder if Alan is afraid of what some might say.

Which is why yesterday, I posted that he should seek to get Tamara Tunie on sooner rather than later as it's becoming quite noticeable.

• Members

I've been around Tamara socially twice over the past 5 years and had in-depth conversations with her. She doesn't seem to recall her time at ATWT very fondly. It wasn't necessarily her decision to leave the show. I've gotten the impression she wants to put that show behind her. So she may not be amenable to doing one of these reunions.

• Members

It wouldn't surprise me if the way the show treated her in her last years left a bad taste in her mouth. She's done livestreams with other organizations and panels over the past two months or so, she doesn't seem to have an issue with the platform.  Nothing would surprise me.  Daytime doesn't have that great of a track record with black actors.