As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

The part I always remember from that is Eileen thanking Goutman, which seemed odd to me as he did absolutely nothing with her in his time at ATWT and I know some even felt that he suddenly gave Lisa more to do while Eileen Fulton was sick just to spite her (they temp recast with Carmen Duncan [RIP]) Maybe she was just grateful he didn't fire her? Sad. 

The other part is when Kathryn Hays talks about how she felt like Irna Philips knew her innermost thoughts when she was writing for Kim. It was so enthralling to listen to, especially as it's the closest we'll likely ever get to hearing anything about early Kim.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It was clear that Fulton resented her treatment on the show by the way she announced so bluntly that TPTB had basically left her out of the show's final days. (Lisa really had nothing of importance to do, and no closure at all was given to her character. I was hoping she would at least get a phone call from her ex-husband Grant Coleman, setting up a possible reconciliation between those characters. I did not expect the show to go through the trouble of introducing a new romance for Lisa, after ignoring her for about two decades. But Fulton and Lisa got nothing.)

Wasn't Fulton's thanking Goutman specifically about the one showcase episode the show did, to acknowledge the actress' 50th anniversary on ATWT? I haven't seen the Paley tribute in nine years, so I am hazy about the specifics.

I was watching when Kim was introduced, of course, and the audience knew from the start that Kim was destined to be a major character by the great dialogue and material she was given. ATWT was so beautifully done back then. No wonder it remained at the top of the ratings for 20 years, despite serious, stiff competition.

• Members

I think that's what she meant, yes. I was just surprised she even thanked him for that as it was crumbs. My main memory was having to sit through Terri Conn and Daniel Cosgrove as Lisa and Don (and it still annoys me they remembered Don THEN but didn't mention him after Nancy died).

• Members

As much as I love EF and Lisa, her complaints ring hollow. She could have left the show at any point and she was probably still getting paid a comparatively high rate per episode even though it was obvious she had a low/no monthly guarantee. I am no Goutman apologist, but EF did have two tribute episodes, in 2000 and 2010, during his tenure. Neither Kathryn Hays nor Marie Masters had tributes in that time frame.

• Members

Back to Meg Ryan....most actors on general have a shelf life. She had a few blockbusters, a few solid commercial success, and a LOT of poorly chosen and forgettable movies. Lord, that child was lucky anyone gave her another role after Armed and Dangerous. 

I don't blame her for feeling burned out by the end of her relationship with Quaid, but by then her career was already in a death spiral.  

• Members

I agree and have always wondered why there hadn't been more of an acknowledgement, at the very least by P&G and CBS about this.

Having said that, I don't even understand why people are comparing three wholly unique characters who were each portrayed by gifted actresses (all in their own right).  They all needed better recognition, in a way each one was undervalued but yes, I agree that Lisa the original daytime vixen and should've been better acknowledged as such.

Perhaps if P&G had done a better job of promoting their talent, the way that other soaps had done (Susan Lucci, Deidre Hall, Erika Slezak, etc.) there might have been greater recognition.  Kim Zimmer had some recognition, especially after she won the Emmy but it feels as if she is more of an exception to the P&G rule.

• Members

While looking for video for another thread, I happened to come across this episode from 1984, which I don't remember seeing in the past.

It features rare footage of an exterior shot of the Walsh stables, which honestly looks like a prop piece from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood.

Seeing the early relationship between Dusty and Lily, at this point, Dusty is angsty, restless and temperamental-- which honestly, seems like a template for a future Holden.

Also, I don't think I remember seeing the first actor to play Heather Dalton's father (I remember the 2nd).  This man looks like the actor who played the Dad in The Last Dragon.

• Members

1984 seems like a weird year for ATWT. It seems completely set apart from what ATWT used to be and what ATWT would soon become. Almost like it’s own, different show. I’m not sure if I like it, but I find it interesting. 

This  version of Frannie seems kind of dopey and I actually prefer this version of Lily. I always found Martha Byrne’s Lily whiny and highly irritating. Brian Bloom always creeped me out a little. He’s 14 here but looks and acts 45.