Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was going by what DRW50 said earlier in the thread about having first-hand knowledge of the ladies involved.

Let's rephrase my point and say he may have had first-hand or contemporary knowledge of Beecroft's issues at the time enough that he was comfortable this was the truth.
I obviously have no way of knowing but I think the underlying point of what his motives might be in the context of him seemingly making an exception here stands.

• Members

Or he may have been around Beecroft in some capacity or have heard and handled the fallout of Beecroft's behavior at the time, even if not in a professional capacity.

I think the core of my point - and where I think you were on the right track - is that he possibly could have had first hand knowledge this is true in a way he doesn't have with most record-settling done in previous hangouts.

• Members

now this is an interesting idea. i hadn’t watched ‘one life to live’ for years. but in 2008, i started hearing good stuff and finally took a look that june, and what i saw — a return to everything that had made soaps great in the past — knocked me out and i stayed until the bitter end. 

as i said, i hadn’t watched in a while. but, by all accounts, oltl’s renaissance began when valentini elevated ron carlivati to head writer in 2007, something may well have not happened had barbara bloom still been running abc daytime. yes, i know there were issues with brian frons, but my impression was that he was more concerned with saving ‘all my children’ and ‘general hospital’  — both of which the network considered more viable than the oltl, which some fans referred to as the network’s ‘red-headed stepchild.’ 

the same thing was going on at cbs, where the bloom and the network saw ‘world turns as more viable and wanted to ‘help,’ leaving gl‘s ellen wheeler largely to her own devices. irony is, of course, that the final year of gl was so much better than ‘world turns. 

so had valentini come to ‘world turns, it’s likely barbara bloom would have stood in the way of him working his magic.

• Members

Thanks for the episode.

This will be unpopular, but this episode epitomizes why I often disliked Marland’s writing and why I disliked Lily so much. 

The Walsh takeover had only been a few months prior to this wedding. Someone who takes over my mom’s company will not be at my wedding, my hubby is not working for them nor will I dance with one of the people and beg them to work together. Lily is awful. 

That little scene with Lucinda at the beginning where she says she would concentrate on her own life should have come to fruition. It showed a lack of imagination to just write her as interfering with Iva’s daughter. Lucinda is a joyous character- let her have fun. It was a missed opportunity. A Lucinda untethered from Lily would have had fun. Frankly, a Holden free from Lily would have had fun. 

The couples here lack heat or joy or fun. I can see why Zenk enjoyed the writing for her character in later years. Here and so often with some of her pairings she looks so earnest instead of joyful. It must have been freeing to just play.

• Members

It's hard for me to imagine the Holden of these years having fun with anyone - he was cold and miserable much of the time. I don't think that changed until after Jon Hensley left again for a few more years. I would have rather seen Heather's Lily get a bit more time on her own. 

Lucinda did become too defined by the Lily relationship, although I suppose that was almost always her central relationship. At this time we did get some other sides of her, but I always wanted more. 

I agree about people who should have been banned from the wedding. Sadly I was glad that they even had Lily upset at all on her mother's behalf. Later on they wouldn't have bothered.

I was going to post this too:

GSN Tattletales promo, 1997 - YouTube

Probably the last time Frank Runyeon was mentioned on national TV.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I'm just basing my idea off of how I've seen him with General Hospital and how everyone states he's a very present producer by being on the floor when episodes are being shot.
That's dedication, and I feel like Valentini could've preserved World Turns' vibe and helped keep the budget going. He worked his way through the ranks, and earned his title of executive producer.

• Members

We would have had Carly with DID-- Carly , Marly, Sharly and angry boy personality Farly.

Parker, JJ, Luke and Casey would have been walking around dripping in Wesson oil and Bronzer, and Parker would have been raping his female cousins.

That's what RC and #firefrank would have done to ATWT  in 2009-11.

Just saying...

• Members

All you have to do is look at how he treated Genie Francis at GH before TPTB gave her a contract to see how he treats vets.

The characters he brings back often die on screen  (Alison Barrington from PC, Duke, A.J.) and he uses KW, JJY,LC, etc. as little as he can.

Do you really think he would have kept Eileen Fulton, Don Hastings, Kathryn Hays and others on contract ? Doubtful.

Howarth was already there.

But you keep believing! You obviously know more than me.