Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Written properly, Gunnar could've been brought back virtually any time up to the show's cancellation, the possibilities were endless for any writer worth their salt, especially seeing that the character never 'died' onscreen.  Barbara had him declared legally dead (eventually) but I don't remember there being any solid evidence.

• Members

I understand the plot value in getting rid of Gunner.  A part of the focus of the story was Ariel, so killing off Gunner moved her story forward.  Also, Gunner was never going to be Barbara's "end-game" or the love of her life, so she needed to be free.  Finally, being a rich orphaned teen made Dusty a perfect love object.

However,  Gunner and Burke played such similar roles in the story that they even died of similar diseases.  Gunner was around for just under three years, so it was probably the end of Hugo's initial contract.  So, I still wonder why were they both necessary to the plot as it was initially designed? And was it always the plan to kill them both?  Was there critical backlash to Hugo's performance? Did ratings go down during the romantic story?

It just seems like there were an unnecessary amount of Stenbeck heirs.

Upon reflection, it strains credulity that James would be so concerned about the heir.  He had already inherited his fortune legally, so no court could make him give it back.  Gunner and James were both already successful in their respective legal and criminal businesses, so they wouldn't need additional income.  Senior Stenbeck (who I always confuse with Brandon Spaulding) knew who was his legitimate heir when he wrote his will, and he could leave his money according to his wishes; regardless of legitimacy.

Edited by j swift

• Members

With each subsequent writing regime, the Stenbeck heir origin stories became worse.  I think the very worst had to be Henry Colman's Stenbeck heir story.  Totally pointless, idiotic and annoying. 

It seems by that time, TIIC were determined to have Barbara's endgame story to be tied to a Stenbeck man, even if they had to invent yet another Stenbeck man.  By that time, Gunnar would've been the least illogical option, lol.

I watched a block of ATWT episodes from 1988 and Meg's hair...whewww!  Not only the hair but the outfits...Meg looks like she wandered off the set of The Golden Girls.

• Members

Imdb has it listed from 1982-1985. But they also have him on AMC from 84-85. Then Capitol in 86, and GH in 88. I thought his WT run was only 2 years, actually. 

I disagree wholeheartedly about Gunnar/Barbara. In some ways, he definitely was the love of Barbara's life. Yes, Hal lasted longer, but I always thought it was the loss of Gunnar that broke her (yes, I know she technically flipped out over Brian...but he'd been the one helping her with Gunnar's death.)

Wills are always murky in soapville, but I always thought James craved the power of the name (initially) as much as the fortune. To hand it over to some photographer, was a such an insult as finding out he was born the son of a maid. 

Edited by P.J.

• Members

I saw that it was mentioned in another thread but I didn't catch it and just saw an article today. Philip Bosco passed away earlier this month. He was in many different works but I remember him best as Sam's "father," Elliot, who popped up in 1994 and 1995. I really loved that character, and Bosco worked so well with Brooke Alexander. He was one of the guest actors, like Jenny O'Hara and Claire Bloom, who kept me interested in ATWT when the writing by that point often did not. 

https://www.welovesoaps.net/2018/12/philip-bosco-dead-at-88.html

• Members

Even though a large portion of the 1988 episodes that are up on You Tube, particularly during the strike, seemed to be bloated by endless flashbacks, there are some interesting BTS facts. The actor who played Barclay Lang, John Ottavino, his 1988 stint doesn't appear on IMDB but his 2007 appearance (as Dr. Sherwood?) does.  One would think that the more memorable storyline with Angel and Henry Lang would've been listed on his page but it isn't.

With the appearance of Lilith as well as Tom's discovery in Greece of Margo's pregnancy, the episodes become less redundant with filler and flashbacks, less Snyder-centric (somewhat) and more interesting on a consistent basis. Also by this time, the writer's strike has been over since August and these episodes are mid September.
Speaking of Lilith, so interesting to discover that Sara Botsford has been doing quite a bit of family-friendly fare these days.  She recently played Marilla Cuthbert in the most recent Anne of Green Gables T.V. movies (Fire & Dew, The Good Stars) that aired on Canadian television last year.  She's also appearing the Holly Hobbie television series (didn't know there was such a thing!).  As a fan of the Anne of Green Gable series, novels and original Canadian t.v. series in the late 80s/early 90s, I'm intrigued. 

Ironically, Botsford's character Lillith used to scare me as a child.