As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

JMO but much of the 1988 material does not age well.  At all. Dialogue or otherwise.   

I had nothing against Beau and his sister Laura (I think that was her name?), I think the story had actual potential but they became a prime example of two new characters who would start off being integrated with the cast somewhat conscientiously and then began to absorb too much screen time. 

It just seemed obvious that the other stories were stalling for whatever reason and the show relied too heavily on the Laura/Beau material.  Perhaps it wasn't just the strike but the fact that some popular actors were leaving or had already left during that period of time?  

TBH, Laura was a character that like, Doug Cummings and Marsha Talbot, was likely not meant to stick around.

Whether it's plot, scenes, dialog, whatever, I've been trying to watch 1988 again and it feels like a HUGE slog!   And the cinematography, shot selection all seem pretty basic.  Perhaps the crew decided that they weren't going to expend too much creative energy on scenes that seem like filler?

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Following up on my intrigue with the minor characters of 1980s ATWT, a few months ago, I discovered that the actor who played Franco Visconti is actually Belgian, who I think no longer acts these days.

Today, I thought I'd look up the actress who played Angela Visconti, who as amusing as I found her in the role, I suspected she wasn't actually Italian IRL.  

I was right.  She looks great though!

Liliana Komorowska

• Members

@Brolden

Ben Reynolds (Jason's twin) was brought in as a red herring along with pianist Kenneth Wayne during the Kim's secret admirer (Douglas Cummings) story. Actor Robert Nichols played the part briefly in 1985.

Minor character actors Ronald Guttman (Franco Visconti #1), Taro Meyer (Sylvia Alvarez), and Lilianna Komorowska (Angela Visconti) can be found in Soap Hoppers, if anyone wants to see their other soap roles not shown in imdb.

• Members

In her bio on IMDB, it looks like Komorowska's soap work is listed, complete with character names.  She did three U.S. soaps, right?  Another World, ATWT and One Life To Live.

Funny that her character on AW's last name was Grimaldi.  Talk about a missed opportunity.  What if Angela Visconti's mother was a Grimaldi, maybe the poorer relations?  That could've been fun to see the actress reprise her role.

• Members

Thanks for posting @DRW50.  What an elegant woman Nancy Wilson was!  I loved her voice.  I'm sad to know that she's gone.

I still think ATWT messed up with most of the trajectory of Kirk Anderson's story.  Instead of Ellie, they really should've held out for an Iva/Kirk/Samantha triangle, with Lucinda interfering throughout.  Could've been juicy.

• Members

Looking back I kind of wish they actually had killed Kirk off in 1995 after he married Sam, knowing what was to come. 

I remember Nancy had a brief interview in a soap magazine then, SPW (I think she did, anyway - I think she watched some soap) but I don't know where I would have put the scan. 

That is the first time I've watched anything of that era in many years. Just ugh. Nice to see her though.

• Members

Sorry. 

Yes, Iva and Kirk should've been a long term couple.  As much as I loved Marland as a HW, he really went wrong with that one.  

ATWT, during the 1980s was almost spoiled for choice at one time.  The problem can be that when you have too many possibilities, it almost presents a myriad of ways that you can go wrong and mess things up.

Speaking of things that are messed up,  I've been watching a bunch of episodes from 1988 the past few weeks, and in my quest to look up the actors who played minor characters in storylines I found myself on IMDB again looking at the bios of the group of actors involved in the Greek/hostage/terror rescue storyline invovling Craig.

The actor who played the main terrorist/hostage keeper, an actor named Olek Krupa is in a movie that is starring Julianne Moore, of all people, called Bel Canto

Did any of the soap blogs mark the passage of the actor who played Inspector Heniotes (Louis Zorich)?  I discovered that he had been married to Olympia Dukakis until his death this year. 

Quite a few actors who played minor roles on ATWT went on to have flourishing careers as character actors--about all of the actors involved in this storyline are still acting today.  Impressive.

• Members

I think most east coast soaps benefitted from a wider pool of talent, given the proximity to theater actors. The soap hoppers post gives some idea of the width and breadth of some actors' careers. I mean, I don't think I ever would put together Benson's Governor Gatling--James Noble---ATWT without picture proof. Lol. 

And it's weird when you catch someone you know now, but didn't know at the time. I swear I caught Kristen Chenoweth as a maid on an ATWT eppy. 

• Members

I was wondering about Hugo Napier/Gunner today.  The character's disease and death come out of left field, especially given Burke Donovan's mysterious brain disease earlier in the story.  Hugo also left AMC, so I wonder if it was an actor or a character issue?  I understand the plot value of having Dusty as an orphan, but both of his father figures (besides John Dixon) were gotten rid of rather quickly.  Is there any scoop? 

• Members

Having Gunnar leave in a hot air balloon (wasn't that how he left Oakdale?) makes me wonder whether they were deliberately leaving open the possibility for a surprise return and miraculous recovery of the character. Even a year later, Barbara was still looking for proof of Gunnar's death, from what I remember..