Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Did we ever get the lowdown of the disappearance of Kirk Anderson; either fictionally or IRL? 

It's just so odd to have a character who drove story simply disappear.  Tom Wiggin has worked continuously ever since his time on ATWT but, I've never read an interview where he explained his side of story.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I wish we had true soap historians like other aspects of media do.  Doesn't it seem like the soap bloggers have given up on this industry?  With the passing of Susan Brown, I couldn't help but wish that someone would've reached out to Wiggin to get his thoughts on what it was like to work with her. Lisa Brown too.  

Speaking of lingering, nagging questions--

I'd love to have asked Douglas Marland if the model for the notoriously venal real estate developer Tad Channing was Donald Trump. 

I am in the midst of watching a recent upload on You Tube and Channing mentions how he only deals with "winners".  It sounds suspiciously like that clip of Trump that was aired on the Frontline special where Trump talks about how he was raised to be a "killer". 

Also, Channing inherited his father's business and was warned by his lawyer Sheldon, that he's in danger of squandering the business.  It's common knowledge that Trump's father Fred fronted him a million dollars, which his son Donald used to start his own company.

I don't know why I never saw the similarities before.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Lucinda was trying to buy Diana's yacht out from under Diana?  Boy, there's more missing episodes from 1985 than I thought!  I guess after that failed, she moved on to try to buy Caroline's but Lisa and Craig beat her to it.

For some reason, I think Lisa ended up buying Diana's yacht too (The Yacht Club).  Part of the fun of being Lisa had to be that she just went around trolling Lucinda for years, sweeping up property that Lucinda coveted, even mentoring and going into business with Lily, down the road.

• Members

The promos back then were very uneven.  This one assumes that people know about  the character of Diana McColl and her run of bad decision-making and string of money problems.  IMO, it's a mistake to do a promo that assumes a base level of knowledge about the show and its characters--not the best way to lure in a new viewer but hey, what about that jaunty hat that she's wearing! 

Please register in order to view this content

ATWT had a mix of funny promos (e.g. Dusty asking his legal guardian John Dixon why some lady is in their shower singing a Pointer Sister's song) and more serious ones (Kim being stalked).

My favorites were the ones that CBS did to promote their roster of daytime soaps.  Personally I think that's where all the creative efforts went. This one was pretty memorable.

Back then, CBS Daytime was so much stronger than CBS Primetime offerings, so the daytime shows were often used to promote the primetime.

• Members

@Darn Two years after that promo, ATWT would be much improved in how they did their promos. 

I think this also assumes some knowledge of the show and its cast of characters but it would be intriguing enough to pique the curiosity of a new viewer, imo.

One of my favorite ATWT-specific promos.  My one complaint is that the images speed by so quickly.

• Members

I can't believe they let them get away with Holden practically dropping trou in that commercial! (though the kids today would think he was "fitfat" if they are using that term still.) I love that they spread the hot young things in with the vets..even using Wagner...(though if I was doing this I would have her clutching her pearls after Holden's little show...)

• Members

Every now and then, my mind has to process that they allowed Tom to call Margo "arousing" right before landing a kiss while on the dancefloor at Bob and Kim's wedding reception.

If you ask me, there was a lot more cleverly placed dialogue and situations that were looked risqué in the 80s than in the decades that followed.

The writers and directors took a lot more risk with the sound and visuals of the show back then and it made for a show that had a lot more spice to it.  In any given scene, there was usually a lot more going on than dialogue, even in a scene when two people appeared to be talking.

• Members

I asked the uploader if they could put this one and the GL up as I didn't see them on Youtube and I knew @DramatistDreamer and others were talking about wanting to see more 1986. They were kind enough to do so. I asked about a June 1985 as well so we'll see if they have it. That Astheworldstillturns channel may have gotten to this date eventually (I think they're in April right now) but considering we no longer have any idea what will happen when we wake up tomorrow I figured it was better to see something now if possible. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Watching that episode again (I think I saw it on there years ago) reminds me of the struggle Marland had with his initial plans for Holden (a manipulative, dark character) and what he made Holden once the character became so popular (angstily in wuv with Lily). There was always an uneasy mix as Marland would come up with various reasons to show Holden's harder side (his marriage to Emily, his marriage to Angel, eventually his brain damage), yet also keep the softer elements. As I don't think Jon Hensley was quite able to pull it off, Holden often just came across as a sanctimonious prick to me, with some good moments here and there (Hensley was good in the story where Lily lost their baby). 

Meanwhile, Jennifer Ashe always tends to overplay bitch Meg a little too much; she suited the more layered writing Marland gave her in her last year or two. With that said, I did enjoy her coolly deflecting Lily spitting venom at her. The nasty Lily is always the more entertaining one. 

Finn Carter is so good in the scene where Sierra stands up to Tonio. She was such a subtle, thoughtful actress and she made Sierra's transition into being a stronger character feel so real. She was one of the most unique actresses ATWT ever had, and I think this was probably the one era of the show she could have thrived in (maybe the '70s as well). 

My heart always swells when I see the sunrise clip telling us a new day has started in Oakdale. It brings back so many memories. 

Poor Iva. 

(I have that last one on a macro)

• Members

Wow, @DRW50 I haven't watched yet but thank you so much in advance! Muah!

Please register in order to view this content

Also, please give that uploader a huge thanks for me!!

EDT.  You know what?  I just started watching the videos you posted @victoria foxton(thanks, by the way for posting them) and I could've sworn this video was up on You Tube before and got pulled.  I remember the WLS blog embedding some of these clips years ago.