Rating the Replacements 10/96 Weekly

• Members

Primedia

MICHAEL DIETZ

Alan-Michael Spaulding, GL

Predecessor: Rick Hearst

B-

CHARACTER PROFILE: The youngest of the dysfunctional Spauldings, Alan-Michael was raised by his mother, Hope, away from the family, but soon embraced Spaulding values (or lack thereof) upon his return to Springfield. He married Harley Cooper to get his trust fund, tricked Eleni into dumping Frank so he could marry her, and had an affair with Blake while she was married to his brother, Phillip. Alan-Michael became a new man after he fell in love with Lucy, and helped her through her rape and stalking at the hands of Brent/Marian. However, he's recently let his insecurity about Phillip's return, and his fear that his brother might take the Spaulding presidency, lead him back to his former ways.

CRITIQUE: Dietz has been fighting an uphill battle since his first day on the show, trying to replace the Emmy-winning (and popular) Hearst. He hasn't gotten any help from GL's writers, who decided that the change in casting should be accompanied by a complete changed in character. Gone is the Alan-Michael who lovingly stood by Lucy as she dealt with rape, an HIV scare and a psychotic cross dresser. The A-M whom Deitz has been given to play is an angry young man who puts business ahead of everything and has more fights than romantic moments with his wife. This change in character is not Dietz's fault, but he is bearing the brunt of criticism for it. The few romantic moments Dietz has had with Sonia Satra's Lucy show he has a softer and more expressive side. If the show would give Dietz a little more freedom of expression (or even just the freedom to use an expression every once in a while), he would be far more effective in the role. - CAELIE M. HAINES

STEPHANIE CAMERON

Jennifer Blake, DAYS

Predecessor: Melissa Reeves

B-

CHARACTER PROFILE: Jennifer is - and always will be - Salem's sweetheart. After all, she held on to her virginity for as long as she could, only to be raped by evil Lawrence Alamain. She can do no wrong, and is always willing to see the good in people. Jennifer is married to Peter, but thanks to ex-husband Jack's quest to prove that Peter is a crook, she is questioning their marriage.

CRITIQUE: Cameron had the unenviable task of taking over when Reeves departed unexpectedly last winter; one day we were watching Reeves, the next day Cameron was wearing Jenn's clothes. There is a physical resemblance between the two actresses, which eased the transition somewhat, but it's still taken Cameron several months to get comfortable in the role - and for viewers to accept her. Part of the problem was that the show was writing for Reeves. Cameron is a stunner, but she lacks Reeves' fresh-scrubbed look and her openness, and should not be expected to mimic Reeves' portrayal of the character.

Cameron's Jenn is more sophisticated and less approachable. Days has learned to play to Cameron's strengths allowing Jenn to become stronger. Cameron is finally developing a rapport with Mark Valley and Jason Brooks (Jack and Peter) that has grown stronger, and their scenes are now believable. Even better, Cameron is now comfortable working with the Kettner twins (Abby), and the mother-daughter bond is quite believable. - JONATHAN REINER

LEE MERIWETHER

Ruth Martin, AMC

Predecessor: Mary Fickett

B+

CHARACTER PROFILE: For many All My Children viewers, Ruth Martin personifies Pine Valley. Though she has had more than her share of troubles over the course of her life, in recent years she's been viewed as the stabilizing force behind the Martin family. Her partnership with Joe is the longest-running marriage in town. Though motherly in nature, Ruth has no difficulty going head-to-head with some of Pine Valley's toughest characters. Due to Mary Fickett's semi-retirement, the character has been largely absent of late.

CRITIQUE: When word went out that AMC was looking for another actress to play Ruth, cries were heard from far and wide: "They can't recast Ruth." But Fickett remained unavailable and AMC had no choice. After an awkward first week or two, Meriwether has succeeded in bringing her own elegance and charm to the role. She's kept much of the character's toughness, especially with granddaughter Kelsey, who, try as she might, was unable to dump baby-sitting duties on Ruth. Meriwether also works well with Ray MacDonnell and Michael E. Knight (Joe and Tad). In addition, she is a glamorous gal. We can only hope that Joe and Ruth will have a meaty story that takes advantage of all her strengths. - Gabrielle Winkel

CARRIE GENZEL

Skye Chandler, AMC

Predecessor, Robin Christopher

A-

CHARACTER PROFILE: Skye Chandler was a flirt during her early days in Pine Valley. A recovering alcoholic, life was never easy for her. She was constantly at war with her father, Adam, and her various husbands. Since her return she's added her half sister Hayley to her list of sparring partners. She did form an unusual friendship, however, with Erica and Janet, when the character characters bonded over their hatred of Jonathan, Skye's husband. After a few months of her bedridden state (she was drugged and comatose when she arrived in town), Skye managed to escape. Now she's trying to rebuild her career and her life.

CRITIQUE: Christopher's Skye was more low-key, but that's OK. AMC can use another flamboyant, borderline nasty character to cause trouble. Once Skye was off the drugs, the actress began to show her mettle and considerable talent. Genzel succeeds in presenting both sides of Skye's complex personality. She's quite good when Skye's cornered, often in situations with Adam or Hayley. Fortunately, the writers are also showing her softer side, which comes out when she's with Stuart, and recently Edmund. In fact, there is a nice bit of chemistry between Genzel and John Callahan (Edmund), which is bound to develop now that Skye is working at Tempo magazine. In addition, Skye is sitting on a powder keg of a secret: She saw Dimitri and Maria making love in the hunting lodge. No doubt Skye will use that information should she ever decide to pursue a romance with Edmund. - GCW

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought Dietz was an extremely bewildering choice as Alan Michael. Why hire such a bland actor to play Alan Michael when you are making Alan Michael edgy again? Dietz was fine on Port Charles -- I never understood why they fired him. Never really saw him on B&B.

I thought Cameron was just kind of cold and bland, which hurt Jennifer, because that part is nothing without charisma.

I liked Lee Meriwether (I think it helped that I had never really seen Mary Fickett's Ruth aside from one or two appearances) and loved Carrie Genzel. I still remember those scenes she had with Stuart about changing the paternity tests. It's a shame Carrie was never on another soap, aside from a few appearances on DAYS before she was replaced by Lisa Linde. Did they fire her on that too?

• Members

It's funny because I loved the character Ali on Days but I don't remember Genzel at all, I think she was only in the role for three months top.

Cameron? Eh I didn't care too much for her, surprisingly she did better with the awful Steve Wilder than she with Valley.

I forgot about A-M's final stories. Dietz wasn't good and trying to rebuild a rivalry with Phillip and re-write A-M didn't really work out too well. Dietz wasn't any better as Clarke and Margo's son Jake on B&B either if I recall except for trying to play dumb when Stephanie faked her heart attack.

• Members

Yeah she was barely in the role at all. I don't even remember if it was a month.

That time is somewhat confusing because they also had the woman who went on to be "TKFP" on AMC as some sort of doctor Mike met. IMDB says her name was Debra. They seemed to suggest she'd be around for a while but then she just vanished.

(on a random note, when you put Paige Rowland's name in Google, you have some mention of a site that says "One of Hollywood's brightest stars," and then right under that, a video of her in her panties on Silk Stalkings).

• Members

Lee M was never given much to do as Ruth. maybe Ruth should have been killed off and a while later,Joe remarries a woman with children/grandchildren thus bringing in new characters tied to the core. Tad/Jeff whoever could have resented her at first and discouraged their Dad. Lee could have played that character. Of course, by that stage the idea of giving older characters any kind of story was a no go.

BTW Does anyone remember that article from a local paper a few years back that indicated Mary Fickett was suffering from dementia and seemed to be out of touch with reality? It was very sad...

• Members

As someone who started watching DAYS when Melissa Reeves played Jenn but Mark Valley played Jack, I can say that I definitely saw chemistry between the two actors together, as there was between Reeves and Jason Brooks' Peter (obviously...). But Reeves definitely carried the Jack/Jenn/Peter triangle and when she left, the fire and passion all but went out. They became such a non-story during the majority of 1996 until they "killed" Peter off. Then they wavered with Jack/Jenn in 1997 with Jack in prison. The PTB clearly knew they lacked real chemistry. They were okay, just not rootable; not fiery passionately hot like the other big 3 triangles at the time, John/Marlena/Kristen, Carrie/Austin/Sami, Bo/Hope/Billie.

As was speculated, I think Reilly took advantage of the double recasting of Jack with Steve Wilder, who was terrible, by putting NuJenn/NuNuJack in a frontburner storyline suddenly in the fall of 1997. Industry insiders thought Reilly sabotaged the show purposely on his way out in late '97, and this is a clear example of one of those blunders.

• Members

That's fascinating, Gray Bunny. What were the other stories they saw as sabotage? Was it the orhchid stuff and teasing John/Hope (of course Langan later wrote that couple and he wasn't trying to sabotage the show).

All I remember about Wilder was those tight-ass jeans.

• Members

JER's 1997 exit has always interested me, there's never been a satisfying reason to me why a writer like him who riding high at the time was let go. I wonder if the Josh Taylor as Roman & Marlena "reunion" story was seen as sabotage as well. I also remember the Travis Malloy character was supposed/heavily rumored to be Peter with plastic surgery but was changed when Peter Brooks became available again.

It's funny during their 2000-2006 run we very very rarely heard about Jack and Jennifer from 1993-1998. EJ himself once joked about Kristen, no body has said a word about Peter.

Unintentional sabotage from the days of "hey look, we're telling Reilly-like stories!" and this:

DAY25AG.jpg

DAY25AH.jpg

DAY25AI.jpg

• Members

They definitely got it right with Genzel- she was sheer greatness. I remember her as Nurse Ali on DAYS & was disappointed they brought in Lisa Linde just when things were getting meaty. I STILL say Genzel should be playing Victoria on Y&R.

Archived