Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

I think it is the best that Pam has been officially declared dead, because anyway you look at it.. there was no way you could justify her staying away from her son and not be ruined as a character. Victoria Principal was right that her not returning at all seals it that Bobby and Pam were a tragic shakespeare coupling.. not getting the happy ending they deserved.

With that said, I like to think that if the show comes back for a season 3 that there will be some more fall out with Cliff and Harris. Plus, will Emma continue to be living at Southfork? Will John Ross and Pamela Rebecca continue living at Southfork? If yes to both questions then we have some potential fireworks!!

Will be interesting to see if Elena will become a female Cliff Barnes, or if there is another reason for her coming to the compound? At least this gives her some purpose and considering that Jordana Brewster played a hot headed, chip on her shoulder teenager on ATWT... hopefully the show will tap into that now.. since playing the good girl is not her strong suit.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I liked parts of it---but most of it seemed needlessly convoluted. I don't mind Bobby playing dirty (Cliff got what was coming to him, and as much as I appreciate KK returning, Cliff has always been more of a buffoon than a worthy adversary anyway...) but the Emma and Elena subplots are "uninspiring" at best.

I love the idea of Dallas, but it's never going to overcome the casting of Metcafe and Brewster as the supposedly star-crossed lovers to root for. They can't act, have zero chemistry together and no charisma with anyone else.

• Members

LOL Cythia Cidre sounds pressed wink.png

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Dallas-Finale-Burning-Questions-1064125.aspx

TV Guide Magazine: When did you make the decision to kill Pam?
Cynthia Cidre:
We were probably going to let [the mystery] continue for years on end. Then there were too many questions around it and a little too much drama for us after Victoria Principal's statement. (On March 1, Principal released a statement saying, "I cannot be held responsible for any choices made by producers once I left Dallas, but I do take responsibility for my decision not to risk tarnishing Bobby and Pam's love story with a desperate reappearance.) And so we decided it was best to put it to rest so that there would be no more questions.

TV Guide Magazine: What did you think of Principal's statement?
Cidre:
People have to do what they have to do for themselves, but for those people who read it, I regret it kind of ruined our story for them. But it's all good. We're happy to have put that to rest and Christopher gets his shares of Barnes Global.

TV Guide Magazine: Just so we are clear, Pam is now unequivocally dead?
Cidre:
Unequivocally dead.

TV Guide Magazine: And if Victoria Principal changed her mind and wanted to come back, it's now too late?
Cidre:
Dead. Okay?

TV Guide Magazine: Did you ever reach out to Principal about appearing on your show as her statement suggests?
Cidre:
Never. From the beginning, I needed the two boys [John Ross and Christopher] to come back because they existed in the previous show and were now the perfect age. They obviously had to have girlfriends or wives, so that's already four people. I knew Larry Hagman had to come back as J.R., and then I went online and looked at Patrick Duffy, who looked awesome. I went online and looked at Linda Gray (Sue Ellen); she looked awesome. Now that's seven people. Victoria Principal had left the show way earlier and there was a really good chance Pam was dead, so I said, 'Why can't Bobby just have a new wife?' So no one from casting ever reached out to her.

TV Guide Magazine: Did it ever cross your mind to try to reintroduce Pam?
Cidre:
It crossed my mind once because it had become such a question. It was a fleeting thought but never enough to actually make a phone call and find out if she was interested. I knew I had to fish or cut bait. And I decided it was best for the show long term all around to cut bait and not keep teasing the audience about it. Even before Larry passed away we already had a plan that Christopher would try to find what he assumed was his third [share of Barnes Global]. Internally, we all decided we had enough characters and liked the way the story was going. It is almost impossible to keep up with our 12 main characters. So it was never a real reality.

TV Guide Magazine: Why did you choose for Pam's death to be from pancreatic cancer?
Cidre:
That's the one cancer that's fast. What I thought was clever about the storyline was that it killed three birds with one stone. [besides killing off the character], Pam was not cruel to her son for 24 years, so Christopher can feel that he was not abandoned. She was trying to come back to him and loved him. It would have been very hard to redeem a character who decided the Barnes/Ewing feud was so terrible that she couldn't even see her son. That was unacceptable in my opinion. We wanted Christopher to stop feeling bad about what had happened. Then we could spin it to make Cliff even worse. He had kept that a secret from his nephew for his own evil purposes. That was the way to go.

• Members

She sounds bitter that VP didnt reprise the role. VP should have returned if it weren't for Dallas she'd be a nobody. She is famous for the role and should have returned...I wonder if the rumors are true that she never got along with the cast. Yes Ann sucks donkeyballs..I'll never accept her as Bobby's wife.

• Members

The comment:

TV Guide Magazine: And if Victoria Principal changed her mind and wanted to come back, it's now too late?

Cidre: Dead. Okay?

Reminds me of when I was talking to a friend of mine about soaps. I told her that "Actors sometime prefer soaps because of Job Security" and she said "Ya. But if they kill the character off then the actor is screwed". I was like "You know, people can always come back on soaps!". She thought I was nuts. She did not even know who Susan Lucci is!!

The point I am trying to make is that Pam could still be alive. The guy said "Pam doesn't want to see you". Also, could have Cliff planted the death certificate in his safety deposit box for a part of a "Master Plan" of his own?? He could have payed her husband to tell Christopher she died as well.

I was expecting Pam's nurse to be a Pam recast, God Forbid.

• Members

If the series comes back Elena will have a Revenge-y storyline from what I understand JH has grown into the role. Emma/John Ross/Pamela has a lot of potential. We should have known that VP doesn't return once Rebecca's name changed to Pam. I like Bobby and Sue Ellen together. Not as a couple, but as family, working together and trying to deal with their kids. Ann and the Ryland part of the story is not interesting at all. Why couldn't Judith Light the obsessive sister instead of this man's mother? I hope the ex-husband is gone for good. Ann seemed like a stranger in the family scenes with the Ewings. I expect the show to focus more on the new generation next season. Is there anything else left for Cliff to do? Bobby and Sue Ellen should always be a major part of the show, I want to see other veterans utilised in an interesting way (propably just some clever/fun scenes) and not in boring cameos. Season 3 should bring some new characters, one or two more Ewing kids and some other people as friends, lovers and enemies.

• Members

Well, yeah, TIIC could do a one-eighty at any time, decide Pam is alive, and recast. Explain away her absence with a coma, for example.

I get some of Cidre's reasoning about not bringing Pam back. VP left, and hasn't seemed interested in resuming her acting career at all. (her last imdb.com credit is Titans in 2001) And the focus isn't really on Bobby, it's the younger generation.

I wish TVguide had asked the burning question "WTH were you thinking casting Judith Light as Mitch Pileggi's MOTHER?! FCOL, she's THREE years older than him. *%*^*&Y(....THREE!

Bobby needs to be a bigger presence as patriarch of the Ewing clan. That means not always coddling his idiot son or being the understanding husband to his dull, dull wife. I wish Bobby had divorced her lyin' ass...and I bet when/if next season rolls around, JohnRoss and Emma's screwing causes disharmony between him and Ann.

• Members

So am I supposed to believe that JR Ewing after all these years...committed SUICIDE?

Umm okay....anyways I wasn't really moved by the grave yard scene except for Josh Henderson's little plea "Who shot my daddy Uncle Bobby?". I"ll admit I almost choked up at that point.

Wow Elena just got interesting....can't wait to see this ish next season. I'm sure she'll wipe the floor with Chris

EDIT: OMFG at that ending....damnit John Ross just when I thought you were different....wow. The music playing at the end was perfect.

Can't wait for next season!

• Members

Once I read that JR would be shot and killed I knew from day one that he would be the one behind his own murder. This was a very interesting way for such an iconic character to die. I wouldn't want JR murdered by a random character, or Cliff Barnes or some family member in a disturbing storyline.

Kristin might be the one who shot JR, but JR was the one who shot and killed JR when he realised that he was dying and that his death would help his family. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Archived