Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Members

Valene's return was just enough to piss me off. They should have scrapped it all together. I still don't see how JR's death caused them to cut back on Val and Gary's story. I know they were KL characters but still. I loved Val VS. Sue Ellen and Gary really did fit perfectly into the canvas.

Had they cut down on Drew and Emma they would have had enough time to fit a little more of Val and Gary's ending in there. I don't expect to see them again.

Its been amazing to have Cliff back and Ken is doing a fantastic job but that explosion was all out of character.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Valene and Lucy looked like sisters, not mother and daughter. Whats the history with her and Sue Ellen? Did they hate each other in the original series? Also what was up with the Sharon Newman hair?

I cant with the younger set. John Ross is turning into quite the man slut with no direction and Emma seems like she's ready to let loose now that she isn't under her father's control. I have no idea what they are doing with Rebecca now and Elena has always been boring as her brother has shaped up to be.

• Members

I think they were going more for Val/Abby, but Sue Ellen was a total and complete bitch the first 6 or 7 seasons of Dallas. Especially in those early years she treated everybody like garbage. Considering the evil things that JR did to both Gary AND Valene, it's not a stretch to think she wouldn't be fond of Sue Ellen. I found the scene believable as an extension of her hatred of JR. When they originally wrote the scene I bet it was written for Val/JR. My biggest problem is the lack of follow through. They finally try and develop the old characters and nothing comes of it. This show is really horrific. I'm sorry, but it's terrible.

• Members

I vaguely remember Val saying either on Knots or some Dallas cameo years ago that Sue-Ellen was just as bad as JR. I don't remember the circumstances but the scene where she called Sue-Ellen a bitch did not seem out of the blue to me. If anything did it was the forceful personality they gave Val, not how she felt about Sue-Ellen.

• Members

You know, at least each GH vet gets episodes to showcase themselves. Maybe not full storylines, but they've each at least gotten one big episode. With nuDallas they have these characters standing in the background like Under 5's and when they DO say something it makes little sense. We know absolutely nothing about what they've been doing the past 20 years. Charlene Tilton said she doesn't even know if Lucy lives in Dallas. She was very harsh in her new Ultimate Dallas interview.

• Members

It was also odd that Val made no mention of J.R.'s death. If you're going to do something, do it full out and right. Characters like Val and Gary have a WEALTH of background, they aren't random ranch hand extras from 1983 where you can just flash their faces and satisfy the audience. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them period, but you can't half step a Gary or a Val. I realize that we are watching them in Dallas terms rather than Knots terms, but, c'mon.

• Members

I hope that the AMC and OLTL reboots will somehow spark a reinterest in classic soaps across the board. I think hulu, Netflix and the like are perfect places to do reunion movies/miniseries. Seeing Val and Gary just makes me want an eight episode Back to the Cul-de-Sac II, but only if written by the best in the biz.

• Members

I think it's like has been said all along, the vets are there just as window dressing, they want to focus on the younger characters.

I know people on twitter were saying Monday that this eppy had way too much Christopher. I don't see the show lasting much longer if this keeps up. I think its done anyways without LH

• Members

Dear God, Joan Van Ark looks like a corpse. Stop with the plastic surgery already, and someone PLEASE put some color on that woman's lips.

JR was a bit of a man-slut himself, so I don't mind John Ross doing the same thing. John Ross is actually growing on me as this season progresses. Josh Henderson feels less awkward in the role to me, and seems to be stepping it up a bit. Jesse Metcalfe is still just horrible, and I cringe whenever he's on the screen. I actually like John Ross and Pamela as a couple, but seeing them roll around in bed while she's visibly pregnant with his cousin's twins would be awkward, so I understand why they're not really together at the moment.

Cliff letting the rig explode with his pregnant daughter on it felt over the top to me, even for him.

I was just a child when Dallas originally aired, so while I watched it with my family, I don't have the same distinct memories of the show that some of you do. I absolutely love the reboot. I don't miss an episode. Yes, it's faster-paced than I'm used to with daytime, but the writing is good. There are a lot of twists that I didn't entirely see coming. I don't mind the brevity of Gary and Val's appearance - I don't want a whole show devoted to their backstory and their relationships. I don't care about Knots Landing - this is Dallas. I don't mind seeing very little of Lucy either. I got a bit bored with Ann and her whole trial, but I don't mind Emma.

Archived