OLTL: Discussion for the week August 30

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haven't watched Tuesday's episode yet but Monday's was unbearable. With the exception of the Dorian/Clint scenes, it was actually a chore to get through the whole thing. Blair simply isn't that stupid, Kelly CANNOT be that obnoxious, the mess Dorian made in the cabana wasn't THAT bad that they're still cleaning it up, TSJ was running his grocery list through his head while mumbling his lines, and Cris and Layla...oh Cris and Layla. "OMG! I sent your art work to the University without your permission and look, they like, wanna give you all this money and a grant and a job and what? You sent my sketch to Adriana and my favorite designer saw it and now I'm being offered a job in Paris!" And this news all trickled in within minutes!? Barf!

Sadly, maybe Ford brothers in the steam room will be something to look forward to. At least until Kelly marches in a demands they discuss Jessica's baby.

• Members

Polar opposite-I liked Monday's show especially dark Clint and Dorian but everyone else as well. I do hate that Blair is dumbed down but it goes with the territory. Kelly is definitely obnoxious and a pest. And I bought Todd's reaction to Tea's disappearance. And Cris and Layla were adorable and romantic. I totally believe they did nice things for each other. Monday and Tuesday's shows are okay if they could give up on the insane idea of Kelly and Rex. They should not have wasted Eli who could have played a nice tri or something with Kelly and Blair.

Ford is offensive. I resent the invasion of those look-alike duds.

• Members

KDP and FL were top notch in their goodbye scenes. But after that she's appeared rather ho hum to me, bored that another one of Blair's men turns psycho. The writers sure are appeared bored out of their minds writing for Blair. I wish they'd give KDP a long rest instead of make us sit through more of the same old, same old.

Monday's show had some good moments to counter the dreck.

Tuesday was painful to watch. Just painful.

• Members

The ridiculous Eli storyline is having a very rushed conclusion, but honestly I don't care. It's that bad. They rushed into Blair learning the truth but honestly at this point it's like ripping a band-aid off - a mercy killing. It's a terrible waste of Matt Walton, who could've gone on with KDP, FL, etc. for years to come. I thought KDP and MW gave it what little dignity they could.

I think the show likes KDP and relies on her for a lot of heavy lifting in all sorts of stories, but I think she's one of many vets that they've come to take for granted while writing for the Next Big Thing. Sometimes during her tenure I've thought they may be out to really wreck Blair, but much of the time I think the bad storylines or characterization she can get is largely due to neglect and ignorance - they're so busy propping someone else they forget about Blair.

And why not? Writers on this show have been forgetting about Blair for years. It's become an institutionalized habit with certain dependable actors on every soap. Same thing happens to Nancy Lee Grahn at GH, and many others - Jess Walton, Alicia Minshew, whoever. At GH Guza and co. know Grahn is an exemplary actress who can handle just about anything, so that's exactly what they give her - anything and everything - right down to Dobson the butler, which was there to prop other characters and left Alexis humiliated. They did it because they knew Alexis would still be standing thanks to NLG, even if they had no real plan to help her. This, I believe, is the same principle that governs much of KDP's story at OLTL. Give her anything, twist Blair into any kind of pretzel to fit their latest story, often about someone else, and they know she'll survive it. That's why Eli got tossed on the firepit for Kelly, Hannah, Ford and Todd. Because in their minds Blair doesn't need him or a story or a man to continue. All she needs is to be connected to the Cramers and Todd. I doubt they'll ever give her a full-fledged story without Todd, and that's a real pity, because I think people like her, HBS, RSW, etc. are really part of the 'glue' of this show and keep more people watching year in year out than TPTB really realize. Or maybe they do realize, which is why Blair has never been touched by ABC's ageist purges. It helps that KDP looks amazing for her age, and that Blair remains an extremely versatile and active character.

As for the Ford brothers - Lenny Platt looks and acts older than Nic Roebuck, and Nate is supposed to be the kid brother. Yes, all their bodies are very aesthetically pleasing but I hate them, except James and he's not that exciting either. Nate has nice pecs but he creeps me out. Kill Bobby and Nate today, please.

• Members

I think it also helps that Blair is a believable maternal figure, even if the show often forgets that she and Starr are close. She is the only person who makes me tolerate Danielle.

OLTL is an odd show in that, aside from Brody and sometimes Cris, I just do not see any of their "hot" guys as very hot. It's like being given a plate of raw meat. Sometimes I swear the show is trying to turn gay men straight/straight women gay. Sometimes I just think I'm getting old but for even then, I find an old Youtube clip of 1986 John Loprieno hotter than a lot of the men on soaps right now.

The real Ford mama:

78.jpg

• Members

I actually think Nate looks out of place. James and Ford look ALOT alike. I thought they were the same person when I first saw James. Nate looks nothing like them. I bet Inez is lying and that she is a ho bc theres no way that all 3 are full siblings. Her husband had good reason to throw her trifling ass out on the street. Just looking at the boy and you can tell she was playing with someone else's hotdog

Archived