ATWT: August 2010 discussion

• Members

Lucinda and Lily reconciled, but I don't think the unadoption was ever formally reversed.

IA that Lily's rant was hollow in comparison...but I thought Noelle Beck did a fairly good job of conveying Lily's outrage. I've discovered I like her better completely away from any triangle with Holden, where the completely lack of chemistry between NB and JH makes any talk of their history/tremendous everlasting love laughably shallow.

I think it was Heather Rattray's Lily who unadopted herself from Lucinda. It was (as I recall) after the fallout of Aaron being Holden's kid, because Lily put some of her money in a trust for him. I think it was also after Lucinda had kept the fact she knew Holden was alive (after he lost his memory in NY) to herself.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm loving the use of history in terms of digging up the Lucinda aka Marry Ellen Walters back story. I'm trying to figure out how Uncle Ralph fits in and so hoping he isn't either Lucinda's long lost brother or lover. The manner in which they are using Lucinda reminds me of old school ATWT and just makes me wonder why they haven't really used Lucinda over the years and, now, she is on almost every day. I wish they would make some sort of story for Lisa but, somehow, I doubt that will happen. During the Marland era, I think Lucinda became the more popular of the two and even back then Lisa was slowly fading away.

Wow--Maura has her body back! She must be working out around the clock. She no longer looks 35 but, still, looks hot. Aside from Maura, does anyone think we will see other ATWT stars popping up elsewhere? Kelly (Emily) would make for a great KC Reed recast on Y&R.

• Members

I agree. I think that Noelle is very believable as Lucinda's princess daughter who lashes out at her but can never fully escape her. The truth is Lily doesn't want to -- she never has. I have never been a big Lily fan (did love Martha as Rose and have appreciated some of Martha's work over the years -- but my favorite Lily was Heather Rattray, which makes me a minority of about two or three :lol: ), but I think Martha mostly made the relationships with Holden and the kids believable in recent years. There isn't much there with Noelle and that group. But the Lucinda relationship still works and that was the most interesting part of Lily. I guess if they realized this and that is one of the reasons why Lucinda has had more airtime over ATWT's last year, then I'm happy.

This has some of the end of her relationship with Lucinda back in late 1992/early 1993.

This is when the adoption was disaffirmed, with Martha back in the role. And a great scene with Lucinda and Neal

• Members

Thanks for finding those clips.

I do agree that the Lily/Lucinda relationship is the most interesting facet of the Lily character at this point, with the recast. I'd just rather see something a little bit different, and some indication that the characters have learned something from the past and grown. IMO, it would be more interesting to see Lily tempted to meddle in her own children's lives and Lucinda's reaction to that. I thought that scene a couple of months ago in which Lucinda told the teenaged Holden/Lily daughter (I can't keep track of all of their kids' names) to practice seducing a guy she's not really interested in, so that she'll get it right when someone comes along she really cares about, was fascinating, but has there been any follow-up? Do either Lily or Lucinda have an opinion on Luke's love life? I think it would be more interesting to see Lily project her own situation on her son, and worry that if he lets his first love/soulmate get away now, he'll end up alone like she is. Or she might assume that Reid must be like Damian or Derek Mason or any of the other third parties she's allowed to distract her from Holden over the years, who turned out to be bad news, and that he needs to be stopped. Hell, his name is Reid...I could totally see self-absorbed Lily working herself into a tantrum at the fact that the name can't be a coincidence - this guy must be David Stenbeck, back from the dead once again and with yet more plastic surgery in order to torture her by seducing her son. And who would Lily turn to, if she felt she had to interfere in her child's life to protect him, but her mother, the expert? Lucinda would know better from her experience with Lily, but I could see her being unable to resist if, after all of these years, Lily came to her and actually said she understood why her mother did what she did in the past and that she has a newfound respect for her knack for deceit, and that now she needs her help. As opposed to just repeating the exact same mistakes with Lily.

It's especially bizarre to see Lucinda fawning over middle-aged Lily, while Lily's son is just fending for himself with no apparent interest from either of them in the couple of months since I've resumed watching. If the point is that Lily is making a concerted effort to not interfere in her kids' lives, they could still play that without having her ignore them altogether. Or if the implication is supposed to be that Lily is so used to being the center of attention from all of Lucinda's smothering over the years that her own kids, are merely an afterthought, then we should at least being seeing Lucinda horrified and working overtime to compensate for Lily's lack of involvement.

• Members

Thanks for finding that! So, that must have been one of the first things Lily did on returning to Oakdale freshly married to Damian.

Can't say I loved the non-Carjack stuff on today's eppy. I find Craig's transparent attempts at seducing Lily disturbing. Janet is a tool. Blackie is the stupidest gangster on the planet, letting Dusty head butt him like that. And while the setting is gorgeous, the sound quality was a little off.

On the plus side, I thought Liz Hubbard looked ageless today. I loved how Carjack supported each other. Loved the previews for tomorrow, and especially the fact we've crossed off another day off of Mr. Pinson's appearances.

• Members

I need to look at those Lily and Lucinda clips.

I tried watching today's show and couldnt. As you mentioned PJ...the setting was great but the Blackie and the story is just dumb and a waste of time. I cant believe they wasted the last few weeks on Blackie. Anyone in Oakdale and even Henry could beat the crap out of Blackie. I cant stop laughing when I see Blackie next to Craig.......Craig hovers all over Blackie...lol. Blackie is a midget....lol

I guess I will catch up tomorrow on the rest of today's show.

• Members

It was so good today. Excellent "Children of Oakdale" stuff with Parker and Will; Katie, Chris, and Luke (Reid, too, but it's especially amusing to see these grown-up children getting in each other's faces and spaces while I mentally try to work out exactly who they are to each other). And then Babs and Henry. Nobody bad was on today.

The foreshadowing of what's going to happen to Reid is almost impossible to get through. But I was already primed by the Parker/Will scene. I haven't cried over a soap opera in well over a decade.

Only 16 more episodes.

• Members

I'm probably in the minority here but loved the Lucinda and Ralph scenes. They gave a better insight into who Lucinda is and why she can be so tough, come off as so heartless. When Ralph told the story of then Mary Ellen using the 'rich lady soap' and Lucinda spoke of studying 'Society,' it made me think of how hard her character had to fight to simply avoid poverty. Also, it was a subtle reminder that Lucinda and Blackie, aside from name change, have a bit in common. I liked how Ralph told Lucinda to 'get her own life,' and it was a good hint regarding what will probably happen with John Dixon back in town. I even like how Lilly is stepping out of Lucinda's shadow with her buying a majority stake in WorldWide--she has always been her mother's heir and now id finally about to step into those shoes. M main issue with ATWT over the years has been the writers refusal to ever let characters fully grow up: Lucinda should have shared power years ago and Bob should have stepped aside at the hospital so that thier children had a chance to stop being children. I like how the show is wrapping up but think the past few years would have been far more enjoyable viewing if these changes had taken place sooner. I love the vets, especially Lucinda, bust have always felt that too many sort of hogged the stage while their kids suffered from arrested development. A good case has been Emily who, even with crow's feet, has acted like a 20 something up till this week.

The giving Reid a heart just to rip it out stut is painful to watch. I think the writing is crafty, however, the character is so good and I would like to see him have some sort of happy ending. Reid seems so alone, no family, only a few recent friends, and I dread seeig him suffer alone. The story almost gives off the vibe that some people are never meant to be happy and that the have-nots lives are meaningless when it comes to saving the haves--maybe this is the only true to life story we will ever see on a soap. My only real issue with the soap is Chris, who I now dislike. I'm not a huge fan of Dan Cosgrove, think he comes off as cheezy, and find the over all character to be a selfish jerk--guess he really is Bob's son, OUCH! I was a big fan of the last actor to play the role and thought the writing for him came off as far more mature. I do think this Chris is the perfect match for Katie and, if the show were to live on, them as a couple would most certainly annoy all of Oakdale for generations to come.

Where is Lisa? Isn't she going to get some sort of final story? I've got this bad feeling that she will end up moving in with Margo and Tom. Unless she is totally ignored, this is the only logical thing they can do for the character. In a recent interview, Goutman said a suprise was in store for Tom and Margo and Lisa must be it. I see no purpose for her moving in--she seems active and healthy; however, Pissy and Goutman will probably see the story as a cute and heart warming ending for three boring characters. All I can say is, poor Margo! Lisa is an annoying mother-in-law and life with her would certainly be HELL. Too bad Bob and Kim can't take her in and build that dream home in Utah. It would be like Big Love, Senior Edition.

Archived