Y&R: Week of July 12 Discussion Thread

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that were the case he wouldn't go on the moral lectures he tends to go on with people he doesn't like. Jill, or the Newmans he resents, or Abby, or whoever.

They want it both ways with Billy. They want him to be a "bad boy" but they also want viewers to like him and see him as a good guy.

I mostly blame Sheffer -- Miller is just one of the many one-note actors pushed to the forefront (Heinle, Braeden, Morrow, et al).

• Members

I don't think that Chance was deceiving Chloe with his purity or anything like that. Just because Billy doesn't pretend to be anything than what he is doesn't mean he can't be called out on his shi!t. Chance has to stay perfect all the time and be called boring or make a human plot driven mistake and be called a hypocrite. It's not like he's banging Heather while berating Billy.

This is more plot driven angst than anything else. If it was to prop anyone, it would be Ronan not Billy. It doesn't matter anyways because

• Members

It was Chance who PREACHED purity for a YEAR, not Billy! LOL! I've always expected Billy to be called out on his $hit, but NOW I expect Chance to be called out on his $hit too! Chance's "perfection" being labeled as boring was something that the writers could've fixed differently. For the most part, Chance was boring, but they could've found various ways to liven him up or dismiss him without making him a cheat, that is, if in their minds they actually did this to liven him up or dismiss him. Could be, they were planning to dirty him up all along after presenting him so "perfectly." Chance should not have banged Heather at all!!!! Period! If he was horny, he had an equally horny fiancee across the hall who would've been all-too-ready to get laid with him. But instead, he so easily sleeps with a woman who he really showed no interest in, who merely complimented him and he's turned on by the compliments? Really? LOL! I do believe TPTB brought Ronan in as Chance's replacement BTW!

• Members

If you ask me, I think the whole lot of them -- not just Chance, Chloe, Heather and Kevin, but Billy, Devon, Jana, Mac, Ryder, Victoria and even Abby, Adam, Cane and Lily -- all share this incredible ability to generate absolutely no chemistry with anyone whatsoever. I don't know whether it's b/c they're generally too asexual or metrosexual; or b/c they're all "selfish" actors who can't (or won't) listen to their on-screen partners and not just simply wait for their next turn to speak; or even b/c the stories are just that bad, but.... Years ago, my aunt was told she couldn't have any more kids b/c her reproductive organs were literally killing her then-husband's sperm. It's kind of the same idea w/ this group of actors; anytime even a little chemistry sneaks into any one of their respective on-screen relationships, the actors involved find a way to kill it.

In fact, about the only ones who can generate chemistry are Thad Luckinbill's J.T. and Graz's Daniel -- but since both are practically chained to Mac and Abby, respectively, I wouldn't blame you for not believing me!

But folks, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS is supposed to be about S-E-X. Who's getting it (from someone other than the one they should be getting it from) and who isn't (and the havoc it's wreaking on their inner psyches). So when there's a dearth of "heat" on a show like this? I'm just saying, somebody needs to wake up and do something.

• Members

Khan,I think the lack of 'chemistry' is due to a number of factors -some of which you listed.

The shallowness of the writing and characterization,the speedy pace from one plot point to the next and the lack of rehearsal time/one take taping all contribute to this.

Archived