• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's pretty amazing that so many consistently front burner characters NEVER were portrayed by temporary replacements. I guess we have impeccable immune systems and artful scheduling to thank for that. Did Don Hastings ever have a temp replacement? I don't think the most famous longtime senior AMC cast members ever did, which is pretty remarkable, particularly for Susan who wasn't of advanced age by show's end and continued to push A plots.

• Members

Well AMC almost recasted Erica with Lisa Peluso when SL was ill during her Annie get the gun but didnt

Its funny most temps I ve seen last a few days to weeks/months. ABC hardly ever temp recasts for a day that I can remember.

I do remember the dude from Sunset Beach as Ric for one day on GH. It was at the Police station andif it wasnt for the VO, I wouldnt have realized he was there as Ric

I think most shows now temp if its important to story

Some shows even tape with temps and never use them (Alicia Leigh Willis as Days Chole)

But back in the 70s it looked like they did a lot especially on Ryans Hope. There were a lot of temps there for a day and RH would announce it during the opening sequence

Edited by John

• Members

Yeah, I remember that bit about Lisa but I don't think they'd have had the balls to do it. Lisa is considerably younger than Susan. I used to think Anna Stuart would be a good Erica temp back when she was on AW before she played Mary.

I think I've mentioned this on SON before, maybe it was on WoST, but I had tickets to see Susan in AGYG right before my Christmas break in college in '99. We got to the theatre box office and saw that an understudy would be going on. My lady friend who bought the tickets got her money back and I got on the Greyhound to spend Christmas with my family. A bummer missing Susan.

• Members

I guess the most high-profile character to have temp recasts would be Viki Riley and Katherine Chancellor, then Jessie Brewer.

(and then as years passed the shows were increasingly reluctant to recast high profile roles even briefly)

Edited by DRW50

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I had never known that Frances Sternhagen was a temporary recast as Eileen. I had thought that she was cast in the role. (Also, Frances Sternhagen returned to One Life to Live later as a judge, and I remember thinking that she had played Eileen in the past.)

Both Mike Karr and Nancy Pollock Karr on The Edge of Night had replacements.

Jeffrey Lynn played Mike. Susan Brown and Frances Helm both played Nancy at times.

• Members

Something similar happened to me once, with a future soap actor being the understudy. Back in 1980, my sister and I got tickets to go see David Bowie as The Elephant Man on Broadway. We went for the specific reason of seeing Bowie in the role. Well, he was out sick that day so we ended up seeing the understudy. I'd never heard of the actor before but he did well in the role and I always remembered his name, then heard about him again when he was on a soap, albeit one that I never ended up watching. The actor was Benjamin Hendrickson.

Edited by applcin

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here are the 2 episodes from April 1991 that has Caryn Richman subbing for Tracey Bregman as Lauren......I posted the 4/17/91 on my old passnum1 channel, and have just re-uploaded it, but the one from 4/25/91 is a "new" one in my collection....

Edited by YRfan23