ALL: Temporary Replacements

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

John, I watched Loving daily for pretty much its entire run. I know for sure Tatum didn't come back in 1991, that she only subbed the one stint in '89. Chip Albers evidently isn't (at least not correctly, even if he thinks he is) posting his scenes as Curtis in chronological order.

The medical reason DC just re-posted totally rings a bell. Tudor left the show at the end of her contract not long at all after she came back from that temporary leave, and that's when Savage took over as Gwen. I recall that rotation of Gwens caught me off guard!

• Members

Savage played Gwyn for two years. She was let go in favor of Tudor coming back to the role. I think Savage was quite a good recast, but while she was definitely adept at playing up the campy / catty / ruthless traits of Gwyneth, she ultimately lacked Tudor's levels of depth and sophistication.

I recall Leslie Deniston also being toward the end of Tudor's first stint, maybe a few months before Tatum. You'd never mistake her for the character visually or through mannerisms. Save for her shorter hair (at the time), Tatum looked & spoke much like Tudor. Denniston was good for a temp, but seemed a little more like an older version of Ava than she did Gwyneth. Her stay was very, very brief, though - maybe just a couple of days.

Edited by YurSoakinginit

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree, juniorz1. She copied Stuart's style very well, and did not resemble Wyndham at all, even Wyndham's Justine or her later English affectations. I never saw these scenes, and watching them now, I must say Sofia never looked better. Her hair is a vast improvement over that permed mop she wore as Diane on Guiding Light.

By the way, to the other poster, Sofia's last name is Geier.

• Members

Richard Council, like Sofia Landon Geier, was an interesting recast. Both had appeared on their soaps in previous roles. This aspect of daytime soaps is one thing I find charming. Council had played Ari Triandos, husband to Tom Hughes' ex-wife Natalie. I suppose this was before John Hilner regularly subbed for Hendrickson. Ben Hendrickson was a tough one to replace. On the surface, there was nothing extraordinarily unique about him, but nobody could quite capture Hal as he did. Of all the replacements, I liked Hilner the best, but even he was not exactly right for the role. I am glad ATWT chose to kill Hal off following Hendrickson's death. It was the right move, one I wish other soaps would have followed.