ALL: Temporary Replacements

• Members

I don't remember him. I do remember the promos, "I'm Gidget" (i.e., forget that Sally Field bitch). Do you remember all of those "New" shows... Leave it to Beaver, Lassie, The Munsters... I think What's Happening!! is credited for getting the ball rolling.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

She sounds like Tracey. She does look like Florencia.

She also played on Texas.

Does anyone know how long Margaret Barker was Grace on Secret Storm? I didn't realize until now that she took over when Marjorie Gateson had a stroke (October 1969). IMDB says that she left sometime in 1970.

Barker's most memorable soap role must have been the hip, with-it grandmother on Lovers and Friends.

Don't forget about New WKRP, which probably killed off that genre for good.

• Members

Carl, that is SO funny because I almost included that in my mini-list but convinced myself that I imagined a "new" version and WKRP had just lasted longer than I thought. Do you remember Loni's short-lived Easy Street? I believe that was Saturday night NBC.

I know I'm veering way OT with all this, but there were quite a few rando syndicated series that aired along with the retreads. A sitcom version of Harry and the Hendersons was one, plus there was another about a ventriloquist's dummy that came to life... those dummies FREAK. ME. OUT. There was also an Empty Nest knockoff called Starting from Scratch starring Major Healy as a veterinarian and Connie Stevens as his ex...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dec 1980 Daytime TV

Roberta Leighton (Casey Reed, Y&R) got a bad virus, leading to a bad ear infection (her ear almost ruptured), imparing her speech and hearing. She was told she could return to work in a few days, but she was so bad off that she was feverish, she had to lip read and she struggled with her balance. Just in case, they brought in Kin Shriner's sister Indy. They didn't want anyone to think Roberta was being replaced permanently, so this was all kept low-key, and Shriner didn't even know what role she was reading for. Leighton was able to work through her illness and Shriner wasn't required to tape.

• 2 weeks later...