• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
  • Members

IIRC, Robert Costello, who had worked with Nancy Barrett on DARK SHADOWS, asked her to play Faith after the original actress, Faith Catlin, was let go; and that Barrett agreed to step in, but only until a permanent replacement was found.

• Members

I, too, am confused about whether or not Nancy Barrett was a temp.

If she was only a temp, it was a secret at the time. Perhaps much later, some other facts were presented in the press, but not at the time it was occurring.

Not everything in the soap opera news columns and magazines is 100% correct, but most I've read made is sound like she was hired as a permanent Faith.

I posted these first two newspaper comings & goings in the RH thread, in May.

Coming

July 17, 1976

Nancy Barrett joins cast of 'Ryan's Hope'

Nancy Barrett has joined the cast of ABC's “Ryan's Hope”. Miss Barrett has the role of Faith Coleridge.

Ms. Barrett's role on “Ryan's Hope” marks her return to ABC where she previously appeared on the network’s daytime series “One Life to Live”, in the role of Rachel Wilson, and on the former ABC series, “Dark Shadows”, for five years. She has also played continuing roles on “Somerset” and “The Doctors”. This past season she appeared in the “Adam's Chronicles” as Elizabeth Cameron. Her earlier television credits include appearances on the prime time series, “N.Y.P.D.” and “Dupont Show of the Week.”

The talented and versatile actress has appeared on Broadway in the musical “Pickwick” and in numerous off-Broadway and stock and repertory productions, including “The Tragic Historie of Dr. Faustus”, “Telemachus Clay”, as Luisa in the national company of “The Fantasticks”, “The Star-Spangled Girl”, “Little Miss Sunshine”, and “Take Her, She's Mine.”

Miss Barrett played feature roles in two MGM films based on the ABC series, “Dark Shadows”. She portrayed Carolyn Stoddard in “House of Dark Shadows” and Claire Jenkins in “Night of Dark Shadows.”

A native of Shreveport, Louisiana, the blonde-hair, blue-eyed actress grew up near Bartlesville, Oklahoma. She has been interested in theater since the age of ten when she produced, directed, and acted in her own backyard productions. Miss Barrett received her B/A/ in theater arts from the University of California at Los Angeles.

Going/Coming

September 15, 1976

Tune In Tomorrow

Nancy Barrett fared no better than her predecessor Faith Catlin in the role of Faith Coleridge on Ryan's Hope. She's been dropped, and the search for another Faith Coleridge continues. Meanwhile, Jody Catlin (no relation) has been cast to play the limited role of lawyer Anne Burney. Jody is the wife of Justin Deas (Bucky Carter on the show) but don't snicker the word nepotism. It's pure talent that got her the job.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The following can be found in the highlights of a Nancy Barrett TV BY DAY/November 1976 article at Dark Shadows Online -

Nancy said that after her stint on One Life to Live had ended, she went back to college again. However, this time, she was offered a part on Ryan's Hope (the role of Faith Coleridge). "Again, I chose to do the soap. But I might still get back to school eventually. I can do anything I want to, and that's a nice feeling."

____________________________________________________________________________________________

In one 1976 interview, Nancy said she auditioned with Malcolm Groome and Justin Deas for the role.

For her interview in Day TV/December 1976 , the writer had to go back and add a postscript to the interview for Nancy was gone by the time they were going to print. The writer talked to Nancy again, to ask her if she had anything she wanted to say about the new information that she was leaving the program, and Nancy said to call her leaving Ryan's Hope “contractual differences”. The writer and his editor added their thoughts that made it sound like it was more the shows decision that she leave becasue the show wanted to tweak the character again.

I hope you can see why some of us are confused. ;-)

Edited by safe

• Members

That part I didn't know. I do remember trying to tune into Passions at that time but I seem to fear the ominous voice that replaces an actor so I turned to ABC (the NBC affiliate actually aired Passions an hour earlier at the time so I think I watched All My Children or part of Y&R.) Nothing against the actor replacing the other actor but that voice creeps me out even when Y&R does it with the actors (like Doug Davidson and Christian LeBlanc.) I think Days is the only soap that doesn't have "the recast voice."